Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:58 pm
  • "at this time"... that means not today. That doesn't prohibit signing him tomorrow.
    Seahawk management keeps their options open.
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 pm
  • In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance LOL.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:59 pm
  • Seymour wrote:In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance LOL.

Why the LOL? Fact is he can and should be a starter for 10-15 teams in the NFL, not for the Seahawks of course but he's a damn good backup for any team with a top 10 quarterback. I know your whole deal is to hate on certain players and be negative but really?
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:00 pm
  • Rocket wrote:"at this time"... that means not today. That doesn't prohibit signing him tomorrow.
    Seahawk management keeps their options open.

Your right. I jumped the gun and didn't read the article thoroughly enough. Sorry.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:10 pm
  • Seymour wrote:In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance .

Parsing Pete: Kaep wants way more money than we're willing pay, and comes with too much baggage, for a backup.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 pm
  • IMO....he isn't worth much!
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 pm
  • Josea16 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance LOL.

Why the LOL? Fact is he can and should be a starter for 10-15 teams in the NFL, not for the Seahawks of course but he's a damn good backup for any team with a top 10 quarterback. I know your whole deal is to hate on certain players and be negative but really?

Kaepernick is only good as a backup. He's a one-read guy with no game beyond his mobility. He would only start on 10-15 teams because their QB-drafting skills went belly-up anyway.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:10 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance LOL.

Kaepernick is only good as a backup. He's a one-read guy with no game beyond his mobility. He would only start on 10-15 teams because their QB-drafting skills went belly-up anyway.

Im confused cause you kinda circled around from "hes a backup caliber QB" back to "he would start for 10-15 teams in the NFL..."

He's not good enough to be a starter in the NFL, but he would be better than atleast 10 starters in the NFL... :3-1:
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:16 am
  • Guess he wouldn't take a league min one year deal...no way will they give a back up qb much more than that.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:53 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Guess he wouldn't take a league min one year deal...no way will they give a back up qb much more than that.

Exactly what I've said all along.

They know what the player is looking for $$ wise when they invite him for a visit. Kap knows he was being looked at for a backup position before he came in also.
    Yet Pete gives the verbal endorsement, then votes with his wallet. Actions speak louder than words IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:41 am
  • I think I'm kinda glad.
    ACFan
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:56 am
  • Once I heard Pete speak on it, it was clear to me that the issue is money. He wants more than the Seahawks want to pay for a player that in their plans won't ever see the field.

"For Now" hedges against Wilson's health and/or Kaepernick's price.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 am
  • If anything happened to RW, Kap would be on Pete's short list of available QBs, and we'd be willing to pay what Kap is asking for, which is starting QB $$$. That said, we're not paying $10M for someone to hold a clipboard.

Looking at the potential starting QBs on teams such as Denver, Houston, and Buffalo -- not to mention disaster areas like the Jets, Bears and Browns -- I don't see how they're a whole lot better than Kap.
    Tusc2000
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:

Exactly. To be clear he really is a backup level quarterback but the overall quarterback situation in the NFL for the lower tier teams makes him just as good or better then what they currently have. So yes for those 10-15 bad teams he could start.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:In Pete's presser on NFLN he said Kap deserves to start somewhere and someone should give him a chance .

Parsing Pete: Kaep wants way more money than we're willing pay, and comes with too much baggage, for a backup.

Take a good look around our locker room. Kap's baggage wouldn't stand out the way it could on other teams.
    Tusc2000
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:48 am
  • Josea16 wrote:

You seem to have it all figured out, so why ask?
    I know "your whole deal" is to come in swinging at every comment you dislike, so this opinion is no surprise to me. I will not dignify the comment itself with a proper answer because that would be giving you what you want.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:51 am
  • He'll play eventually this season, but it looks like its going to take an injury to anothers team QB for that to happen. He obviously isnt in panic mode yet as he hasent seemed to lower his price.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:56 am
  • He deserves a shot to start somewhere.
    I wish him the best
    TwistedHusky wrote:I am baffled that anyone is baffled.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 am

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:59 am
  • The other aspect of this that a lot of people are ignoring is the theoretical scenario of Kaepernick playing an extended period of time if Wilson was out.

What's the drop off from Wilson and is it substantially higher than with Boykin? That gap/cost difference projection is very likely the decision point. With all indications that the Hawks are willing to offer the vet minimum, regardless of what they say publicly, that's pretty telling to me on what they really think.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:59 am
  • It's also possible the Seahawks heard from a fairly sizable number of fans who told them they didn't want someone on their team who disrespected the American flag and it's anthem.
    replicant
    NET Rookie

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 am
  • replicant wrote:It's also possible the Seahawks heard from a fairly sizable number of fans who told them they didn't want someone on their team who disrespected the American flag and it's anthem.

Ha-ha. That's funny. Any team that makes decisions based on fan input is destined to go 4-12 --- if they're lucky. Like the NY Giants.

Most NFL teams will do whatever they have to do to win. If Michael Vick found his way back into an NFL starting lineup after what he did, anything is possible,
    Tusc2000
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:17 am
  • Word was the Seahawks wanted to give him vet minimum but he wanted league average backup money (about 3 million).

Maybe the Hawks aren't willing to pay league average for a 2nd string QB no matter who they are (really the only way to make sense of it), but if you want him, that he isn't worth league average backup money is funny.

My personal feeling on it is that there's a CHANCE (not a guarantee) that the Hawks core group of players looks pretty different two years from now.

With the core group of guys they have, that a 2nd QB you can win with isn't worth 3 mil seems kinda risky to me, particularly st this point in the offseason when it's not money you're allocating anywhere else and there's no future ramifications (guessing there's no way Kap wants more than a one year deal, because why would he?)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:33 am
  • Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:36 am
  • It's all about how much they value an insurance policy that's more proven/expensive that the one they already have in Boykin. Assuming it's a one year deal, it would also commit to keeping 3 QB's on the roster unless this move is coincided with cutting bait on Boykin, which does not appear to be the case.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 am
  • These Kaepernick threads are like a bad date that won't stop calling.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:38 pm
  • Good, I hate that punk.
    Sign37now
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:03 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:Word was the Seahawks wanted to give him vet minimum but he wanted league average backup money (about 3 million).

Maybe the Hawks aren't willing to pay league average for a 2nd string QB no matter who they are (really the only way to make sense of it), but if you want him, that he isn't worth league average backup money is funny.

My personal feeling on it is that there's a CHANCE (not a guarantee) that the Hawks core group of players looks pretty different two years from now.

With the core group of guys they have, that a 2nd QB you can win with isn't worth 3 mil seems kinda risky to me, particularly st this point in the offseason when it's not money you're allocating anywhere else and there's no future ramifications (guessing there's no way Kap wants more than a one year deal, because why would he?)

First of all . . . link?

So far, the Seahawks have been the only team brave enough to show any interest in Kaepernick.

Parsing Carroll's comments, Kaepernick could be holding out for starter's money, but we really don't know either way. Where are you getting your $3 million figure?

Even if the Seahawks were unwilling to pay $3 million (again, link???), that does not mean they don't think Kaepernick is WORTH that amount. Carroll was very clear that he believes Kaepernick deserves to be a starter somewhere. You are just trying to stir up drama with your own speculation.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:05 pm
  • People want to make this about politics and such but the facts are:

1) One-read-and-take-off-running;
    2) Can't read a defense;
    3) Willing to throw into the worst possible coverage situation at the worst possible time;
    4) Unapologetic about #3 after the NFCCG, and said he'd do it every time;
    5) All passes are 98 mph fastballs with no finesse or even any speed changes;
    6) On a vegan diet so he's losing muscle mass and fitness.

I don't how any of you would ever think that dude would be a decent starter on a decent team. If he would be a starter on any NFL team just goes to show that some turds float to the top of the bowl.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:27 pm
  • Someone on the zone from Seattle said Hisrd reported it on the radio there.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:01 pm
  • Maybe Colin wants more money than the Seahawks are willing to give. Too bad they couldn't come to an agreement. Maybe they still will.

It'd would be nice to have someone with CK's experience as a backup to Wilson. Not just for insurance but also to push him a bit. That's what has been lacking the past couple of years. That guy that will push RW. I don't see Boykin or Heaps doing that. Not at the level that CK would. Pushing RW would help to make him even better.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:56 pm
  • They are still negotiating. The longer we get into summer, the weaker CK's leverage becomes.

Someone will likely pick him up be it the Hawks or someone else.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:17 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:Someone on the zone from Seattle said Hisrd reported it on the radio there.

???????
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:People want to make this about politics and such but the facts are:

1) One-read-and-take-off-running;
    2) Can't read a defense;
    3) Willing to throw into the worst possible coverage situation at the worst possible time;
    4) Unapologetic about #3 after the NFCCG, and said he'd do it every time;
    5) All passes are 98 mph fastballs with no finesse or even any speed changes;
    6) On a vegan diet so he's losing muscle mass and fitness.

I don't how any of you would ever think that dude would be a decent starter on a decent team. If he would be a starter on any NFL team just goes to show that some turds float to the top of the bowl.

very fair assessment...he played on some stacked niner teams but I seem to recall it was mostly his fault for blowing the big games. Like I said...pass..
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:55 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:

Miami must have been unable to take away his first read last year, while simultaneously taking away all of Wilson's reads and scramble drills....

Kap is still a decent NFL QB when you sum out all of his strengths and weaknesses.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 am
  • Pete is right, Kaep is a starting caliber QB in the league (for those 10-15 teams). He just is not a franchise level QB.

Parsing what Pete said, I'm guessing there is an offer on the table that Kaepernick isn't ready to accept yet. Kaep is still pursuing a starting role for this year. If he doesn't get it, I bet he comes back to the Hawks as a backup on a one-year contract.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:27 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Someone on the zone from Seattle said Hisrd reported it on the radio there.

???????

My bad. Was on a phone. Huard.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.

I wondered that as well. The main problem I'm having with that thought is, why would Pete give him the endorsement and even say someone should sign him, if they plan or even hope he falls to them at a lessor cost? If you really want a player on your team, you don't tip your hand and pretty much advise another team to sign him.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.

I wondered that as well. The main problem I'm having with that thought is, why would Pete give him the endorsement and even say someone should sign him, if they plan or even hope he falls to them at a lessor cost? If you really want a player on your team, you don't tip your hand and pretty much advise another team to sign him.

Fair point. I guess it depends on how much he "really" wants him. I'm not sure Kaep is necessity to requirements for the Seahawks.

Maybe he just likes the kid and wants to see him starting for an NFL team this year.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Nobody else has shown interest in him. Seahawks may be thinking that Kaep will come back to them at something in the middle. Makes sense, and I disagree that it's any kind of risk. Trying hard to think of a super bowl caliber team with a starter ready back up they just had to have.

Fair point. I guess it depends on how much he "really" wants him. I'm not sure Kaep is necessity to requirements for the Seahawks.

Maybe he just likes the kid and wants to see him starting for an NFL team this year.

That is pretty much where I think Pete is with this also. He believes and promotes being yourself, and doesn't like seeing someone pay a heavy price for taking a stand on what you believe in.

Problem is, there are several other factors involved with Kap that may caution other teams from making him an offer.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 am
  • I think those problems are blown out of proportion, if he's a starter. Teams may balk at the opportunity of bringing him in as a backup because he is polarizing (to some). However, if a team thinks he can win games for them, I don't think it will be an issue. He's certainly not the only one to exercise his rights while being a football player. I have a feeling a handful of NFL teams are measuring up their current QB status, will want a starter and may come calling soon enough.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:Someone on the zone from Seattle said Hisrd reported it on the radio there.

???????

My bad. Was on a phone. Huard.

Ok, that makes sense.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am
  • Probably for the best. We don't need a QB controversy right now .
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:07 am
  • http://larrybrownsports.com/football/se ... ick/373934

The Seattle Seahawks emerged as the most likely suitor for Colin Kaepernick over the past week or so, but it does not appear they are going to sign the quarterback. Why? That depends who you ask.

Over the weekend, NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo reported that the Seahawks have not signed Kaepernick for financial reasons. According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, money has nothing to do with it. Instead, Florio was told by a source that Seattle’s decision to not sign Kaepernick was “strategic” because they think he is worthy of being a starter.

Here’s more:

Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.

Currently, Trevone Boykin and Jake Heaps are the only other candidates to play, and no one will be clamoring for either of them. If the Seth Wickersham article regarding the belief that the Seahawks don’t hold Wilson accountable is accurate, the Seahawks have every reason to resist adding a player behind whom certain players could rally.

The Wickersham article that Florio referred to was the explosive feature about Richard Sherman and the Seahawks that came out last month. While Sherman was the main subject, the piece also highlighted the supposed “resentment” players hold toward Wilson.

Even I couldn't come up with these storylines. :lol: :irishdrinkers:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:19 am
  • Logic dictates that Kaepernick wants an opportunity to play and that such a situation calls for a salary more in line with experienced backup money at minimum, which is $ 3 M - $ 6 M. Seattle had no plans to pay that kind of money for the #2 QB IMO.

This idea that money wasn't an issue doesn't jive when you factor in the current Seattle cap situation.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 am
  • JTB wrote:Logic dictates that Kaepernick wants an opportunity to play and that such a situation calls for a salary more in line with experienced backup money at minimum, which is $ 3 M - $ 6 M. Seattle had no plans to pay that kind of money for the #2 QB IMO.

This idea that money wasn't an issue doesn't jive when you factor in the current Seattle cap situation.

+1.
    Money is always an issue with every player signed. The more we spend on any player, is that much less we have to work with for keeping players we like into their 2nd contract or other extensions.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 am
  • The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 am
  • JTB wrote:The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

Of course. There are 31 other teams that are "haters" combined with their fans and other activists that eat this garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That troll is just more and more becoming the Heraldo of sports writers. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    JTB wrote:The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

Of course. There are 31 other teams that are "haters" combined with their fans and other activists that eat this garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That troll is just more and more becoming the Heraldo of sports Sensationalists. :pukeface:

There fixed it, to write you have to have knowledge and or dig up the story and validate it's sources and information. Florio does none of that, relies on third parties and if he can't find something then it becomes a inside source to prop it up.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information