Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    JTB wrote:The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......


    Of course. There are 31 other teams that are "haters" combined with their fans and other activists that eat this garbage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That troll is just more and more becoming the Heraldo of sports writers. :pukeface:

    And he's not even a sports writer. He takes tweets and information off of other websites and either he or his staff reports it. There's really not much actual digging first-person done by that click-bait website. And you are right in that that he writes his own take on a news story to fan the flames for more web clicks. He has no credibility ... just an easy-to-read format that composites a lump of NFL information together.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3396
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:11 am
  • It really does all add up in the end. Look at who his boss is. :twisted:

    Image

    Image
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:24 pm
  • There are three sure things in life

    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. When they say it's not about the money...........it's about the money.

    Why would Kaepernick want to come here anyway on a cheap one year deal? He's got no shot at starting, so if he's going to take a veteran minimum contract, why wouldn't he go somewhere with a crap QB so he has a better chance of competing for a starting job?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:23 pm
  • The trollers are lining up at the docks and getting their power bait hooked up with their pop gear..... :roll:

    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm
  • Seymour wrote:The trollers are lining up at the docks and getting their power bait hooked up with their pop gear..... :roll:



    I dont see where the corpse is a heads or tails guy....is there something I am missing here? :twisted: :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7210
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 pm
  • This whole thing just pisses me off on so many levels.

    1. Does everyone forget that Kaepernick lost his starting job to Blaine Gabbert in 2015 and 2016 training camp?
    2. Is it more than likely that Kaepernick wants a contract for more than the veteran minimum and a chance to play?
    3. Is it reasonable for the Seahawks to determine that CK isn't a good fit because he perhaps views himself as a starting caliber guy and that position isn't available with Wilson here?
    4. Wasn't the whole exercise about pushing Boykin anyhow?

    The narratives are all that Kaepernick is being black balled and that he wasn't signed because the team is afraid that he'll out play Wilson!
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    JTB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am
    Location: Covington, WA


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm
  • JTB wrote:
    The narratives are all that Kaepernick is being black balled and that he wasn't signed because the team is afraid that he'll out play Wilson!


    I do believe there's some blackballing going on, especially with some old guard owners and teams.

    But this organization isn't one of them, we've got one of the most open minded forward thinking owners, front offices and coaches in the league, if not THE most open minded.

    So all this backlash is crap to me. If a writer's going to take us to task, take the other 31 teams to task as well. At least we had the balls to bring Kaepernick in and see if he was a good fit, what's the excuse for the other 31 teams?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:52 pm
  • Yes, it's a bit irritating for sure. Our biggest mistake was even bringing him in and thus putting the spotlight on what they end up doing when they likely knew his price would be more than they allowed for that position.
    So now we are the goats since it fits their theory, and nothing else matters. Common sense need not apply....
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:52 pm
  • semiahmoo wrote:They are still negotiating. The longer we get into summer, the weaker CK's leverage becomes.

    Someone will likely pick him up be it the Hawks or someone else.


    Likely.

    Northwest Seahawk wrote:Probably for the best. We don't need a QB controversy right now .


    That will never happen re: Wilson v. Kaep

    JTB wrote:Logic dictates that Kaepernick wants an opportunity to play and that such a situation calls for a salary more in line with experienced backup money at minimum, which is $ 3 M - $ 6 M. Seattle had no plans to pay that kind of money for the #2 QB IMO.


    I believe this is very much true. Hawks are very close to the cap. You want that flexibility to grab a released vet or get someone late in case of injury

    JTB wrote:This whole thing just pisses me off on so many levels.

    ...

    The narratives are all that Kaepernick is being black balled and that he wasn't signed because the team is afraid that he'll out play Wilson!


    Not worth getting upset over. There is a chance that he still ends up here. I don't see us signing Davis as a move that halts our search to improve the roster. If Colin stews out there until training camp and finds a 1m/vet minimum salary acceptable I could see us easily signing him if we indeed deem him a fit here.

    Who really cares about the national narratives in June? The story lines in this month are easily forgotten by the end of July.

    Seymour wrote:Yes, it's a bit irritating for sure. Our biggest mistake was even bringing him in and thus putting the spotlight on what they end up doing when they likely knew his price would be more than they allowed for that position.
    So now we are the goats since it fits their theory, and nothing else matters. Common sense need not apply....


    No need to be irritated. It's a slow news month in the NFL. None of this matters in the least when the pads come on. Nor would I term bringing him in a mistake. Bored sportwriters with nothing to report still have deadlines and circulation quotas to meet.

    I don't think signing Davis means anything with regard to Colin. That move is a no money/risk signing. Seattle keeps a slow burn on dozens of players at every position every single year. If the salary landscape improves in their favor, they could pull the trigger in a heartbeat. In reality, we don't need Colin to be competitive. So no reason to rush into signing him for more than the minimum. We got the opportunity to meet with him, see if he could fit and vet him. It simply gives us the ability to move quickly on him if the money fits. Instead of having to waste time trying to figure him out when that time comes.

    We do this every year. Bring in guys who almost always sign elsewhere. We cast a wide net in this regard and some we do sign. No sense in fretting about a practice that we've established since PCJS have arrived. Just because national beat writers that don't have any notion that this is common practice here shouldn't become an irritant for us locally. They simply don't get it. Or do but want to wring readership from the Kaepernick story as hard as possible during this dead time.
    User avatar
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2031
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:27 pm
  • I guess my irritation is not with whether they sign Kaepernick or not but the real reasons for their decision as opposed to media members using it to justify their stance on things.

    1. I absolutely do not believe Florio and Freeman when they say price was not an issue. Especially when other media folks like Clayton, Garafalo, and even Prisco say Kaepernick was asking for a salary in the Millions.

    2. It irks me that some are taking this along with the ESPN report to insinuate that the team didn't sign him for fear of CK beating out Wilson on the field.

    3. I agree that if CK's price were to drop to a vet min plus incentives deal or if Wilson were to be injured, the Hawks decision would be likely different.
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    JTB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am
    Location: Covington, WA


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:00 pm
  • seeing the media coverage on this every single day annoys me a lot. The story lines are just ridiculous, and most completely fabricated to stir up more clicks. Only team to even talk to him, and now somehow because we didn't sign him immediately we are dumb/part of the problem. More stupid noise we don't need. In part, this is why I never wanted us to go near him. The other part is because I think he is a bad quarterback.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3658
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm
  • JTB wrote:The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

    I read that it wasn't from "competition" so much as an attempt to avoid locker room controversy (the whole "Wilson gets special treatment" thing, resulting in players on the defense supporting Kaepernick and dividing the locker room, despite the fact that Wilson is clearly the better QB).
    User avatar
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 961
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:42 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    JTB wrote:The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

    I read that it wasn't from "competition" so much as an attempt to avoid locker room controversy (the whole "Wilson gets special treatment" thing, resulting in players on the defense supporting Kaepernick and dividing the locker room, despite the fact that Wilson is clearly the better QB).


    From Florio's article, he gets into the competition aspect of it to and does his typical passive aggressive analysis.

    Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.

    Currently, Trevone Boykin and Jake Heaps are the only other candidates to play, and no one will be clamoring for either of them. If the Seth Wickersham article regarding the belief that the Seahawks don’t hold Wilson accountable is accurate, the Seahawks have every reason to resist adding a player behind whom certain players could rally.
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    JTB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am
    Location: Covington, WA


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 pm
  • With a little help (yes Tom...you), Wilson is flat out going to shut up those hot air bags this season. I'd put money on it.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 pm
  • JTB wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    JTB wrote:The Florio article from today is trying to frame it as money is not an issue and that it's all about protecting Wilson from competition.......

    I read that it wasn't from "competition" so much as an attempt to avoid locker room controversy (the whole "Wilson gets special treatment" thing, resulting in players on the defense supporting Kaepernick and dividing the locker room, despite the fact that Wilson is clearly the better QB).


    From Florio's article, he gets into the competition aspect of it to and does his typical passive aggressive analysis.

    Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.

    Currently, Trevone Boykin and Jake Heaps are the only other candidates to play, and no one will be clamoring for either of them. If the Seth Wickersham article regarding the belief that the Seahawks don’t hold Wilson accountable is accurate, the Seahawks have every reason to resist adding a player behind whom certain players could rally.

    Dude isn't worth reading and clickbait. Classic mudraker and his mudraking is lazy to make it worse.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 968
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:53 am
  • Why isn't the media vomiting forth any stories about any of the other 31 NFL franchises not hiring Kaepernick?
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3640
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:26 am
  • JTB wrote:
    Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.]


    Even if this is true, and I think Florio's OPINION is 90% just that, a baseless opinion....................you can say the same thing about the other 31 teams. That they didn't want their starting QB threatened and challenged by Kaepernick.

    If I had to guess, there were a few reasons we didn't sign Kaepernick

    1. Costs a little more (even if he says that's not true)
    2. Distraction that this team just doesn't need right now
    3. Pete is looking out for Kaepernick's best interest, he's a starter and needs to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job.

    All equals Austin Davis.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:06 am

Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 am
  • replicant wrote:and the latest.....




    Colin Kaepernick shuts down talk about salary being reason he’s not signed with one retweet

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/col ... li=BBnb4R7



    Did Pete say it was about salary?

    Cause what I heard was Pete say that Kaepernick was a starting QB, and that he should go to a team that gives him a chance to do that..........and that's not here.

    Idiot media is trying to make this about something it's not.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:31 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    replicant wrote:and the latest.....




    Colin Kaepernick shuts down talk about salary being reason he’s not signed with one retweet

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/col ... li=BBnb4R7



    Did Pete say it was about salary?

    Cause what I heard was Pete say that Kaepernick was a starting QB, and that he should go to a team that gives him a chance to do that..........and that's not here.

    Idiot media is trying to make this about something it's not.


    I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can say that that comment by Pete makes little to no sense. You don't pass on a better player for "equal pay" just because as an NFL head coach you are a fan and "want what's best for the player" and not the team.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am
  • ^^^^^^^

    Garafalo of NFLN said today that Seattle never made a formal offer to Kaepernick after the May 25th meet and greet with both him and Davis.

    https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status ... 4207508480

    Money wasn't an issue because it never was offered. The only thing we do know is that the team felt he was a starting caliber player at a spot where the opportunity to play is remote at best. One can deduce that they didn't think he'd embrace a clear #2 role or that starting caliber has some correlation with price. I also believe that the media attention that a signing of CK would have generated was a factor in the decision as generally teams don't relish intense focus on backups (aka Tebowmania). Ironically, that Spike Lee instagram post on the 27th probably did little to ease that concern.
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    JTB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am
    Location: Covington, WA


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:41 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can say that that comment by Pete makes little to no sense. You don't pass on a better player for "equal pay" just because as an NFL head coach you are a fan and "want what's best for the player" and not the team.


    If this was true, then why bring in Kaepernick in the first place and subject yourself to the scrutiny when you don't sign him?

    That's why I tend to side with Pete more than Kaepernick saying it wasn't about the money.

    If all things were equal, then I think we sign the better QB, that's WHY we brought him in. Makes me think he did want more money, or at least more guaranteed money than Davis.

    If we didn't sign Kaep because of all these other reasons people are insinuating? Then we don't bring him in the first place.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:43 am
  • Any good caliber veteran backup QB is worth at least $2M (likely more).
    It is possible they knew he was worth more and didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer. That is about all that makes sense to me at this point.

    Some weird stuff like this happened with Tate. Pete said something to the effect "too bad we were never able to get to our final / best offer" after Tate said he was insulted.
    Last edited by Seymour on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:44 am
  • Seymour wrote:I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can say that that comment by Pete makes little to no sense. You don't pass on a better player for "equal pay" just because as an NFL head coach you are a fan and "want what's best for the player" and not the team.


    Reportedly, they never made him an offer after meeting with him. Is that evidence that money wasn't a factor? If that meeting gave the Seahawks the impression that he's a starter, then it opens up the realistic expectations of whether the player can embrace a clear backup role with minimal to zero PT and whatever money expectations go along with being a starter.
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    JTB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am
    Location: Covington, WA


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 am
  • Seymour wrote:Any good caliber veteran backup QB is worth at least $2M (likely more).
    It is possible they knew he was worth more and didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer. That is about all that makes sense to me at this point.


    you're right, but we don't have 2M to spend on a backup, thus going with the cheaper option of letting Davis and Boykin compete for the job.

    Maybe Kaepernick was ready to sign a vet minimum deal, but if so I betcha he would have wanted more guaranteed, or more incentive money, etc.

    Whatever, I'm done burning calories on the backup QB position, who cares? Kaepernick re-tweeting that it wasn't about the money just confirms that he's not done with the drama and we made the right decision.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Any good caliber veteran backup QB is worth at least $2M (likely more).
    It is possible they knew he was worth more and didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer. That is about all that makes sense to me at this point.


    you're right, but we don't have 2M to spend on a backup, thus going with the cheaper option of letting Davis and Boykin compete for the job.

    Maybe Kaepernick was ready to sign a vet minimum deal, but if so I betcha he would have wanted more guaranteed, or more incentive money, etc.

    Whatever, I'm done burning calories on the backup QB position, who cares? Kaepernick re-tweeting that it wasn't about the money just confirms that he's not done with the drama and we made the right decision.


    And exactly why I never thought he would end up here also. So I agree....I just like to know exactly why myself. I suppose I like to solve mysteries. :mrgreen:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Seahawks Not Signing Kaepernick
Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 am
  • Moot point now but I do think it's important to look at Sando's article on how CK was viewed way before the flag thing. I remember the mistake prone headphone wearing QB from 2014 and 2015 myself.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1944 ... k-2017-nfl
    GO HAWKS!
    User avatar
    JTB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 724
    Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am
    Location: Covington, WA


Previous


It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online