Sorry for another Kaeperncick article MMQB nails it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeak

Reaction score
The notion that he is worse than 15 BACKUP QBs, (which was subjective without any actual backup) regardless of what number of throws he leaves on the field, is a joke. If we look at the one place where the "author" is using data it is the TD-INT ratings. Normally we would look at QB rating as the more relevant way to judge a QB.

"Kaepernick’s passer rating, TD-INT ratio, sack rating and yards per attempt declined steadily from 2013–15.
Last season’s statistical rebound was mostly artificial."

TD-INT rate
2013: 21-8
2014: 19-10
2015: 6-5 (244 attempts only)
2016: 16-4

Rating
2013: 91.6
2014: 86.4
2015: 78.5
2016: 90.7

Rating compared to other QBs:

2013: 20th
2014: 17th (does not fit the narrative that he got worse)
2015: 34th - worst season by FAR
2016: 26th (includes 1 game by Chase Daniels so really 25th)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

At the end the "author" compares to Tebow

A guy that in 2010 was ranked 44th in his QB rating and yes managed to get to 31st in 2011 on a playoff team. When Kaepernick was on a playoff team he was ranked 20th and 17th so "slightly" better

massari

Reaction score
The only ones I see arguments for are Garoppolo, Foles, McCarron, Kessler.

Also, he didn't list Austin Davis as being better than Kaepernick.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Benoit is a film guy like Greg Cosell and goes into the issues beyond the pure stats. His assessment of Kaepernick is pretty accurate IMO.

The 15 backups is a subjective one but it also got me thinking. A huge role of the backup QB is to run the upcoming opponents offense and simulate the game situations. A QB who cannot really play from the pocket is a liability in that regard unless you are playing the Bills I guess.

Jville

Reaction score
Excellent article. :2thumbs:

We see fastball artist try and get by with only one club in their bag. Although a few make a career of it, most don't. Randy Johnson got enough opportunities over the years to finally made it big time in his sport. John Elway leaned on his fastball and one man show until one day the light came on. But, there are many ..... many who don't fair as well.

Kaepernick may have used up his opportunities a couple years ago. After all, professional leagues figure out those who fail to learn and grow their game. After which, the competition runs most of them out of the league.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
More likely with Kaep it came down to cap. If he believes he is still an NFL starter then he is not likely to accept a league minimum contract that fits under a team's salary cap in order to be a backup. This is kind of ironic seeing as his publicity stunt helped turn down viewership numbers that affect cap increases.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":1ep0s1ja said:
Excellent article. :2thumbs:

We see fastball artist try and get by with only one club in their bag. Although a few make a career of it, most don't. Randy Johnson got enough opportunities over the years to finally made it big time in his sport. John Elway leaned on his fastball and one man show until one day the light came on. But, there are many ..... many who don't fair as well.

Kaepernick may have used up his opportunities a couple years ago. After all, professional leagues figure out those who fail to learn and grow their game. After which, the competition runs most of them out of the league.
Randy Johnson isnt a good comp. He had 2 clubs in his bag. The heater and Mr. Snappy, one of the best sliders in MLB history. But....... I get what you are trying to say.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-machine-has-finally-beaten-colin-kaepernick-1795900410

A better article.

Andy Benoit's article is an absurd piece of subjective journalism. It also masks what may be a very disturbing story: the blackballing of an NFL player because he made a political statement (albeit a mild one) before a football game.

People should be far more concerned about what Kaep's story reflects about the NFL (and its fans) then debating whether he is a better QB than Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Matt Barkley (i mean some of the names he chooses are so ridiculous you have to assume he's just trying to get people going).

If people truly put their pettiness behind and could care less about standing or kneeling for the anthem before games (his personal choice.. and who cares what one person does, it's the product of this nation's foundation) then it would not be hard to see that he's a starter in this league for 15 teams, not worse than 15 other's backups.

That's what the story is here. Trying to hide it behind this idiot's subjective argument that he's worse than a cavalcade of HS gym teachers is dumb.

But whatever... FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^

It's not a newsflash that the NFL is about money and power. It's a billionaires club and no one is entitled to play in their league. Right or wrong, what he did was largely unpopular with a lot of fans and sponsors.

That said, one absolute truth is that if you can play, they will find a way to get you in whether you are a domestic abuser, have substance abuse issues, legal troubles, etc.

Benoit and others are pointing out that the play part of the equation is a huge factor in while crickets are chirping for Kaepernick. The fact that he comes with intense media scrutiny and potential fan/sponsor backlash (money impact because owners really don't care what fans think) only makes it an easier decision to avoid him.

Do you know where PFF ranked Kaepernick last year even with his good stats? 29th of 32 ahead of Goff, Fitzpatrick, and Osweiler.

29. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

2016 overall grade: 52.2

Kaepernick has performed at a slightly better level than last year, still not instilling confidence that he’s back on track to be a long-term starter in the league. He ranks 33rd in adjusted completion percentage at 68.1 percent and his 92.6 passer rating from a clean pocket ranks 29th in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ra ... is-season/

This idea that he's only be held back because of the anthem protest is not true. His play is a factor and even more so if you consider that the #2 QB really needs to simulate conventional offenses and he doesn't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
A. PFF? really? And exploring that further he's listed anywhere from as high as 15 to as low as 25 in any rankings I pull up.. as a starter.

2. He is being held back. It is alarmingly true. And the idea that he is being compared to the likes of the Qbs in the article as somehow below them show the level of absurdity people are willing to throw at this. Should teams be throwing themselves at his door? No, absolutely not. He's an average (to below) QB. But this is more.

The crickets are telling. His level of play is a shield to some rather questionable behavior. We've seen players with far more baggage and far less to offer be snatched up by teams. So no, Benoit (and PFF? really?) did not "nail" this story. They took one step more in burying the lede.

Hell, compare this to Vick...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3b61w5et said:
http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-machine-has-finally-beaten-colin-kaepernick-1795900410

A better article.

Andy Benoit's article is an absurd piece of subjective journalism. It also masks what may be a very disturbing story: the blackballing of an NFL player because he made a political statement (albeit a mild one) before a football game.

People should be far more concerned about what Kaep's story reflects about the NFL (and its fans) then debating whether he is a better QB than Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Matt Barkley (i mean some of the names he chooses are so ridiculous you have to assume he's just trying to get people going).

If people truly put their pettiness behind and could care less about standing or kneeling for the anthem before games (his personal choice.. and who cares what one person does, it's the product of this nation's foundation) then it would not be hard to see that he's a starter in this league for 15 teams, not worse than 15 other's backups.

That's what the story is here. Trying to hide it behind this idiot's subjective argument that he's worse than a cavalcade of HS gym teachers is dumb.

But whatever... FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

Well said Si, but this is nothing new with pro sports.

Choose whatever loudmouth disruptive player, personally, socially or politically you want and I'll show you that at some point in that player's career, their nonsense factor outweighed their talent...........thus sending them to the scrap heap.

T.O., Ocho Cinco, even our very own Marshawn. Now Kaepernick. His disruption just happens to be political.

Yes there is certainly an undertone of blackballing going on here with some antiquated old guard owners, organizations and fan bases. But that is known, and has ALWAYS been known.

This misstep here is on Kaepernick. Any employee working for any company needs to constantly be taking the temperature of their worth to the company and overall industry. So they know EXACTLY where they stand. Kaepernick didn't correctly take that temperature to know that his current talent level wasn't going to outweigh the ill will towards what he did and the disruption he'd bring.

Sorry, but no backup QB is worth that.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
It's not absurd to point out that he's not very good and that's a big part of his situation.

PFF isn't perfect but it also correlates with Football Outsiders (he was 30th in DYAR). This is where the metrics support the contention that he's got significant issues in terms of play execution, pocket passing, general accuracy).

And I get what Benoit is saying as far as backups as it's largely based on those playing deficiencies. If you play him, you have to change the offense to fit his skills and scrap a majority of the playbook. If he's the backup, he doesn't fit being able to play the scout team's offense well for your defense. He's physically more talented than a lot of guys but that doesn't make him a better QB and ironically he's probably better suited to start than be a 2 because of his skill sets.

The fact he has the aftermath of the protest noise as well as the intense media attention absolutely doesn't help.

As for the Vick comparison, Reid was the only one that was willing to give him a chance. And he also had a ton of the same issues Kaepernick does on the field. He never was able to sustain success over an extended period of time.

If Roethlisberger wasn't able to play, he would have been left to die on the vine too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You're missing a much bigger picture here. And maybe that's fine..

He's not very good, and that is part of the situation. I do not believe it is bigger than the other part of the situation is though. We certainly recognize the factors working against him, we just have the weighted differently.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3atzubc9 said:

He's not very good, and that is part of the situation. I do not believe it is bigger than the other part of the situation is though. We certainly recognize the factors working against him, we just have the weighted differently.

It's everything, and yes we can debate degrees or percentages.

My point is if a player wants to take any stand, politically or socially............THEY have to measure what the long term affects on their career is/will be.

It's like with Kathy Griffin, any statement fair or not is going to have consequences. You can't cry foul if you've thought out the consequences of your actions.

Kaepernick did his thing because he felt strongly about it, more power to him. But that doesn't mean the world is all of a sudden going to right itself.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1emoqqxk said:

To me, the talent/ability weight has been proven to be the main factor in whether controversial players get signed or not. If Kaepernick could play QB at a high level, I have no doubt that he'd have a job somewhere in the NFL. When you cannot play the talent card, it's much easier to not sign him and avoid the noise that comes with it.

There are countless examples of whether the juice is worth the squeeze. Greg Hardy comes to mind. Dirtball yet Dallas signed him because he could rush the passer. Only he couldn't so he was one and done and out of the league since.

Teams are not going to go through the media frenzy and potential fan/sponsor backlash for a mediocre player. The same applies for most businesses.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Look at the Seahawks of recent years. They put up with a lot of Marshawn stuff because he was a stud. Same with some of the stuff Bennett and Sherman do and say.

It's like the old Jimmy Johnson story with the Cowboys.

"I can't be writing what the rules are because my rules vary from player to player. It's like I told Lawrence: In Dallas we had a linebacker named John Roper who got cut for falling asleep in a meeting. If Troy Aikman fell asleep in a meeting, I'd go over and whisper, `Wake up, Troy.' "

That's the NFL in a nutshell and it's the same today as it was in 1992.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
In Benoit's defense he's always been insanely low on Kaepernick, but that he's worse than half the backups in the league is ridiculous.

To convince me of Benoit's point, you'd have to convince me that Colin Kaepernick is considerably worse than the backup QBs who have actually been signed this off-season, which is just laughable.

People really want to argue he's worse than ALL OF Aaron Murray, David Fales, Kellen Moore, EJ Manuel, Matt McGloin, TJ Yates, Austin Davis, Chase Daniel, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Johnson, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Case Keenum, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Josh McCown, and Nick Foles?

Sorry, but at the end of the day you can take any measurement of quarterbacks you want and save for Nick Foles' one great year five years ago this is a list of 18 guys who have never even gotten close to sniffing Kaepernick's jock strap.

I'm fine with pointing out Kaepernick's flaws, but if you want to talk about his flaws as a player, you have to talk about the players who are being signed ahead of him. That he's somewhere worse than ALL OF these guys (let alone any of them) is simply laughable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":2168oubg said:
That's the NFL in a nutshell and it's the same today as it was in 1992.

Isn't this why people watch sports? It's the ultimate meritocracy.

If you're good, we'll put up with just about anything you say or do. If you're mediocre or bad, you're out.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2o6a43un said:
In Benoit's defense he's always been insanely low on Kaepernick, but that he's worse than half the backups in the league is ridiculous.

To convince me of Benoit's point, you'd have to convince me that Colin Kaepernick is considerably worse than the backup QBs who have actually been signed this off-season, which is just laughable.

People really want to argue he's worse than ALL OF Aaron Murray, David Fales, Kellen Moore, EJ Manuel, Matt McGloin, TJ Yates, Austin Davis, Chase Daniel, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Johnson, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Case Keenum, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Josh McCown, and Nick Foles?

Sorry, but at the end of the day you can take any measurement of quarterbacks you want and save for Nick Foles' one great year five years ago this is a list of 18 guys who have never even gotten close to sniffing Kaepernick's jock strap.

I'm fine with pointing out Kaepernick's flaws, but if you want to talk about his flaws as a player, you have to talk about the players who are being signed ahead of him. That he's somewhere worse than ALL OF these guys (let alone any of them) is simply laughable.

Only 5 of those guys were on Benoit's list and he clearly states that his evaluation is based on the ability to play from the pocket in a conventional offense. In addition, I'd point out that a lot of the guys that have signed are competing for a job and at the veteran minimum salary. We still don't know what Kaepernick is looking for contract wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.