Why the Packers are Doomed...

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Has a sprinkle of Seahawks data but I thought it belongs here. Have fun with it.

A nibble of the article.

"What They Gained
One of the seven seals must have broken this last year because Ted Thompson signed a free agent to a multi-year contract with non-trivial guarantees. The beneficiary was one Martellus Bennett, elder but inferior brother to Seattle’s very own Michael Bennett. Martellus is a useful player and an absolutely incredible personality. Getting that much personality for $21 million and $7 mill guaranteed is a steal. But in terms of actual football value, it’s pretty much the exact right price. When Rob Gronkowski went down for the season, Bennett had an opportunity to step up as a receiving threat, but he was never much more than average in that regard. As for his blocking, I’m not sure it is all its cracked up to be. The Patriots’ rush offense was virtually identical in terms of efficiency from last year to this year. Martellus is just one player, but he clearly did not make much of a difference. The rest of the FA signings were cheap deals for depth and included former Seahawks legend, Jahri Evans. Evans, at 34 years old, is in the mix for a starting guard spot. "

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/7/11/15 ... s-playoffs

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rodgers has inflated the Packer's value for years now.

Which is partly correct, because elite QB's can take over a game. But that's just it, A game. Not a season.

Packers have a LOT of holes, on both sides of the ball.......especially on defense.

Maulbert

Reaction score
It's funny, Martellus Bennett is mentioned as Michael Bennett's elder brother, but Michael is actually a year older. I think that mistake is made because he left college early and Michael stayed for his senior season. Martellus has been in the NFL since 2008 while Michael has been in the league since 2009, despite being about a year and a half older.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vgdz1m9t said:

Which is partly correct, because elite QB's can take over a game. But that's just it, A game. Not a season.

Packers have a LOT of holes, on both sides of the ball.......especially on defense.

Rodgers nearly got them to a Super Bowl just 7 months ago, that shows how incredible a player he is.

Their defense will continue to be a glaring issue though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I can't imagine Ted paying that kind of money to Martellus. But maybe Rodgers told him to.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uobv2rsb said:

AND Favre....they have had back to back HOF QBs. Its why they are in the playoffs virtually every single year yet have only made it to the superbowl 3(is that correct?) times with what..almost 20 or more years of having a HOF QB at the helm

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ivotuk":1jjpxrzl said:
I can't imagine Ted paying that kind of money to Martellus. But maybe Rodgers told him to.

I think it's more an issue of fan service (Packers fans have been increasingly vocal about getting frustrated with Thompson's draft-and-develop team building strategy), with a little bit Rodgers' age and thinking windows thrown in also.

The Ringer NFL podcast recently had a nice discussion about how for a long time draft picks were undervalued, so draft-and-develop was the optimal team building strategy. Their argument was that given the new CBA and more teams moving to that strategy, optimal value draft picks are really just in the 3rd and 4th rounds now, and there's mid-tier veteran FAs are undervalued.

Don't know if Thompson is taking advantage of that (the Patriots DEFINITELY are), but Bennett fits that idea too.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Popeyejones":396h5e16 said:
The Ringer NFL podcast recently had a nice discussion about how for a long time draft picks were undervalued, so draft-and-develop was the optimal team building strategy. Their argument was that given the new CBA and more teams moving to that strategy, optimal value draft picks are really just in the 3rd and 4th rounds now, and there's mid-tier veteran FAs are undervalued.

I have noticed this trend too. If you look at what the Patriots are doing they are doing a lot with RFA's and vets in free agency. Guys like Blount, Hogan, Chris Long, Jabaal Sheard, Browner, LaFell, Revis were all key cogs to their last two Superbowls.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yep, absolutely. The Pats was the example they used, and it's spot on.

This was all in the "team building" episode from a few weeks back, which I think is worth a listen.

I found it really insightful, and my take is basically just paraphrasing them, as it wasn't something I had thought about. :D :2thumbs:

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I thought Michael Bennett is the older brother of Martellus Bennett? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk