Panthers fire GM just before start of camp

Milehighhawk

Reaction score

sdog1981

Reaction score
If they were going to fire him it should have been after the Josh Norman debacle.

nanomoz

Reaction score
CRTCat was praising Gettleman as one of the best GMs in the league as recently as last year, wasn't he?

sdog1981

Reaction score
nanomoz":3mj92u5o said:
CRTCat was praising Gettleman as one of the best GMs in the league as recently as last year, wasn't he?

15-1 will make anyone think your GM is a genius. Nevermind the 7-8-1 and 6-10 seasons that came before and after 15-1.

ctrcat

Reaction score
sdog1981":2tzeo9sa said:
nanomoz":2tzeo9sa said:

15-1 will make anyone think your GM is a genius. Nevermind the 7-8-1 and 6-10 seasons that came before and after 15-1.

Since 2013 (Gettleman era) the Panthers have the 6th highest win % in football, above the Packers and Steelers. He navigated a salary cap disaster to deliver a fantastically balanced roster in 2017 of vets, stars in their prime, and youth, on both sides of the ball, all on firm short and long term salary cap footing.

Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen want new contracts too, and Gettleman didn't appear to be willing to cave to them either. Jerry Richardson's southern heart was softer than Gettleman, so he axed him. My post history shows I have rightly criticized Richardson for not being cut throat enough and putting the league over the team. Someone will have a fantastic job and opportunity, but likely at least partly while having to look over his shoulder at Richardson as long as he's alive. I'm still here but shocked and shaking my head today.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Seems like a mistake to me. Other than the whole Norman fiasco, i felt he's done a good job there. Had to be some personality clashes or something going on. I've heard some rumors that it was because he was unwilling to re-sign Davis and Olson. But honestly I would be hesitant to sign those two guys to the big deals they're likely looking for, too, seeing as they're both on the wrong side of 30. Davis especially. He's 34, already has an extensive injury history and they have enough talent at LB to move on from him without it being too devestating of a loss.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1as10cnm said:
Seems like a mistake to me. Other than the whole Norman fiasco, i felt he's done a good job there. Had to be some personality clashes or something going on. I've heard some rumors that it was because he was unwilling to re-sign Davis and Olson. But honestly I would be hesitant to sign those two guys to the big deals they're likely looking for, too, seeing as they're both on the wrong side of 30. Davis especially. He's 34, already has an extensive injury history and they have enough talent at LB to move on from him without it being too devestating of a loss.

^

ctrcat

Reaction score
sdog1981":3ojqr49r said:
His draft history is not bad and he is ok when it comes to free agents.

http://www.panthers.com/team/history/fr ... .html#2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_ ... _NFL_Draft

His trades have been ok.

http://www.panthers.com/team/history/trades.html

Can't really find a definitive reason to let the guy go.

It's definitely not a cut and dry issue that's clear to the naked eye. It's not an exaggeration to say that Richardson likely admires Thomas Davis as much or more than anyone that's ever walked the planet not named Jesus Christ. Any hint at disrespect to Davis, right or wrong, business or not, was too much for Richardson.

sdog1981

Reaction score
ctrcat":2r3t6f84 said:
It's definitely not a cut and dry issue that's clear to the naked eye. It's not an exaggeration to say that Richardson likely admires Thomas Davis as much or more than anyone that's ever walked the planet not named Jesus Christ. Any hint at disrespect to Davis, right or wrong, business or not, was too much for Richardson.

I can diffidently see that angle too. Davis is one of those community players that no one wants to see leave.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Always nice to see another potential playoff team in disarray before the season starts

ctrcat

Reaction score
12thbrah":2si78max said:
Always nice to see another potential playoff team in disarray before the season starts

The players will likely feel like a weight has been lifted in the short term. The long term fans that have seen the consequences of making the franchise a country club are more concerned. Only time will tell how legit the concern is. Obviously, there's the matter of having a warm body to make decisions, relatively minor as they may be, in the short term as well.

253hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3tdkel8n said:
nanomoz":3tdkel8n said:

1/3 of those wins were by a single score, so 10-6 was certainly a possibility. And they've never had back to back .500 or better seasons, I think they are the only team in the league with that distinction.

Maulbert

Reaction score
253hawk":q6nid2zw said:
And they've never had back to back .500 or better seasons, I think they are the only team in the league with that distinction.

They went 8-8 in 2006 after an 11-5 year in 2005, and they pulled 8-8 again in 2009 after going 12-4 in 2008, but they've never had back-to-back winning seasons. I know the Falcons didn't have back-to-back winning seasons either until 2008-09. It took them over 40 years.

chris98251

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":2r1ydoth said:
sdog1981":2r1ydoth said:
The plot thickens Panthers hire their old GM. Marty Hurney.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... interim-gm

Some strange actions going on down in the south. Especially since he was let go for failure to perform before.

They just stockpiled a bunch of Blue Pills so he can't use that excuse anymore when they go to the League Meetings in the Jerry Jones party bus this year.