Jaguar C higest paid - Lael Collins gets new contract

ivotuk

Reaction score
I find both of these troubling.

One, Jaguars Center has followed almost the identical path as Britt.

Two, it still pisses me off that we passed on Collins. 1st round talent, taken in the 7th round was it?

"The former third-round pick was entering the final year of his rookie contract.

Linder moved to center in 2016, where he shined as one of the best young players at the position. Pro Football Focus rated Linder as their No. 5 center last season.

. The extension is worth $51.7 million, with $24 million guaranteed,"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -extension

Collins slid out of the draft altogether after his name arose in connection with the murder of a 29-year-old pregnant woman in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In the waning rounds of the 2015 draft, Collins' representatives instructed teams not to pick the former LSU star so that he could sign where he wanted in free agency and be able to reach a second contract sooner.

Collins was never considered a suspect

in the case, though many teams stayed away while scrambling for information.

Dallas came calling and welcomed the talented blocker into the best offensive line in football. Now, he's expected to dig in as the club's right tackle this season following the retirement of Doug Free.

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":buejv3k4 said:
I find both of these troubling.

One, Jaguars Center has followed almost the identical path as Britt.

Two, it still pisses me off that we passed on Collins. 1st round talent, taken in the 7th round was it?

"The former third-round pick was entering the final year of his rookie contract.

Linder moved to center in 2016, where he shined as one of the best young players at the position. Pro Football Focus rated Linder as their No. 5 center last season.

. The extension is worth $51.7 million, with $24 million guaranteed,"

Collins slid out of the draft altogether after his name arose in connection with the murder of a 29-year-old pregnant woman in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In the waning rounds of the 2015 draft, Collins' representatives instructed teams not to pick the former LSU star so that he could sign where he wanted in free agency and be able to reach a second contract sooner.

Collins was never considered a suspect

in the case, though many teams stayed away while scrambling for information.

Dallas came calling and welcomed the talented blocker into the best offensive line in football. Now, he's expected to dig in as the club's right tackle this season following the retirement of Doug Free.

Yeah Collins would have been a great Guard..................................

Basis4day

Reaction score
Passing on Collins doesn't bother me in the least. Every single team passed on him. No team felt he was worth the risk of a draft pick, and he threatened to sit out on any team that drafted him. The allegations scared all 32 teams off.

It's nothing more than hind-site bias.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really well deserved for Collins, as he got massively screwed over.

Lindner is a good player, but this is further evidence of how the dearth of offensive line talent coming out of college is dramatically driving up the prices on o-lineman.

It affects the 9ers too so this isn't just a Seahawks jab or even a jab at the Seahawks, but right now has gotta be the worst time in NFL history to not have a quality offensive line in place. Heck, even five or ten years ago you could put together four of five quality offensive line pieces through mid-round draft picks and the equivalent of WR 2/WR 3 free agent salaries.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Britt as good as gone. Zero chance we will pay Britt more than either Jimmy Graham or Kam Chancellor (nor should we). Making the Pocic pick even better for us.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2nh3v490 said:
Passing on Collins doesn't bother me in the least. Every single team passed on him. No team felt he was worth the risk of a draft pick, and he threatened to sit out on any team that drafted him. The allegations scared all 32 teams off.

How do you know this? For that to be true, I would have to have never been interested in Collins until I saw the story. When in actuality, I was yelling for them to draft him as soon as he slid to the 3rd round. After that though, he didn't want to be drafted,and I don't blame him. If teams would have done due diligence, they would have found out that he was never a suspect.

Good move by him and his agent. And Dallas got a good player for next to nothing.

I'm glad for the guy though, he got screwed in the draft, which messes with a man's ability to reach his earning potential.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Do we know if Collins is actually any good yet? He's played only 15 games in 2 seasons.

Basis4day

Reaction score
ivotuk":2dlwtoyb said:
Basis4day":2dlwtoyb said:

How do you know this? For that to be true, I would have to have never been interested in Collins until I saw the story. When in actuality, I was yelling for them to draft him as soon as he slid to the 3rd round. After that though, he didn't want to be drafted,and I don't blame him. If teams would have done due diligence, they would have found out that he was never a suspect.

Good move by him and his agent. And Dallas got a good player for next to nothing.

I'm glad for the guy though, he got screwed in the draft, which messes with a man's ability to reach his earning potential.

The Seahawks first draft pick that year was Frank Clark, who has turned out to be a hell of a player. But do you remember the controversy at the time? The next pick they traded up for was Tyler Lockett.

It would have been a PR nightmare had their first two picks been:

1. A man who was arrested in a domestic violence incident and kicked off his college team.
2. A man who was at the time described as a "person of interest" in a murder investigation of a pregnant woman a week before (and who threatened to sit out a year).

No team could have done that in 2015. Not with the publicity related to Ray Rice and Greg Hardy at that time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ That's a really strong point.

Even just the Frank Clark pick was a PR nightmare, although TBF I think it was mostly a PR nightmare that could have been mostly avoided and was of their own making.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Didn't he make it clear that he didn't want to be drafted if it wasn't in the first round? You really think he would have played for us if we did that?

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't expect Britt to be resigned. He'll likely bring a 3rd round comp and the Hawks will slide Pocic right into his place.

Basis4day

Reaction score
thebanjodude":hi763vnv said:
Didn't he make it clear that he didn't want to be drafted if it wasn't in the first round? You really think he would have played for us if we did that?

Agents informed teams that 3rd rd was the cutoff.

themunn

Reaction score
thebanjodude":1hgzzvc5 said:

Agent later came out and said it was a bluff though - which paid off (although of course, could just be agent speak to show how "clever" they were)