49ers Josh Garnett and Malcolm Smith out indefinitely

ctrcat

Reaction score
Sounds like bad news for those guys. Panthers only trip west of the Mississippi or at 1 pm PST all year in week 1. I don't like injuries btw.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Two bad players on a bad team.

Sucks for both of them, but not really anyone else.

(So far both were penciled in as starters, FWIW)

Josea16

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL likes the fact that the league has four truly horrible teams in Chicago, Cleveland, New York Jets and San Francisco.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Josea16":8mmvpoit said:
I don't think the NFL likes the fact that the league has four truly horrible teams in Chicago, Cleveland, New York Jets and San Francisco.

The league has always had horrible teams-the problem is tanking, like the Jets are doing this year, the Colts did in 2011, the Bucs in 2014, etc. I HATE the NBA draft lottery but do advocate a draft that employs a reverse order in rounds 2, 4, and 6. The tankers still get their man but are penalized in every other round. Even the Panthers last year may have actually tried to beat the Bucs in week 17 for example if this format was in place.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ctrcat":3smug33p said:
Josea16":3smug33p said:

The league has always had horrible teams-the problem is tanking, like the Jets are doing this year, the Colts did in 2011, the Bucs in 2014, etc. I HATE the NBA draft lottery but do advocate a draft that employs a reverse order in rounds 2, 4, and 6. The tankers still get their man but are penalized in every other round. Even the Panthers last year may have actually tried to beat the Bucs in week 17 for example if this format was in place.

Is it possible for you to make a post without referencing the kitties?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":36243ijy said:
Popeyejones":36243ijy said:
Two bad players on a bad team.

Sucks for both of them, but not really anyone else.

(So far both were penciled in as starters, FWIW)

Garnett was a 2016 first rounder.

So was Germain Ifedi. ;)

Srsly though, as was the case in college he seriously struggled with his pass blocking as a rookie last year.

More importantly though, at this point in his career he's kind of like a poor man's Mike Iupati -- he's a very good road grader in a power run scheme who is a passable if imperfect fit in an inside zone run blocking scheme (like the Cardinals use, and the 9ers used last year under Kelly), but probably just doesn't fit that well in an outside zone scheme like the one Kyle Shanahan relies on.

Like Malcolm Smith he was likely going to be the starter, but given the scheme and what he showed last year he's not a huge loss, particularly on a team like the 9ers who will have to fight to win 5 or 6 games anyway.

Long story short, I think he's obviously a superior player to Zane Beadles (who will likely replace him in the starting lineup), but I'm not sure how true that is in an outside zone scheme (which fits Beadles but not him), and both of them suck in pass pro.

If the 9ers are going to end up getting blown out week in and week out (rather than just losing), it's going to be because of the injury and depth issues they're already having at safety, not Will or LG.