Brandon Albert?

kf3339

Reaction score
I know he is not on our team, but with Fant going down and him just being released would he be a good 1 year option at LT? He may be very willing to come here on a veteran 1 year deal to go after a ring. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Just saw there is an LT thread I must have missed. If this thread needs locked I understand.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Albert would be an intriguing guy for sure. I mean, here we're talking about not only just a guy who played Left Tackle ... but a player who actually made the Pro Bowl in 2013 and 2014. And then at the age of 32 (seemingly still at the top of his game), he up and suddenly announces his retirement from the NFL. A few thoughts come to mind when I think about Albert ...

1) We're talking about a guy who when he WAS playing ... was a PRO BOWL caliber LT.

2) At 32, how much tread does he still have on the tires? That's the biggest consideration to think about.

3) BUT, given his age and this point in the year, we're not talking big dollars here. He's going to get the vet minimum.

4) Why did he choose to up and retire? I'm wondering if part of the rationale was, "I'm 32 and I'm playing for Jacksonville. I have no realistic shot of playing for a Super Bowl and I'm already set for life financially ... so I'm going to hang it up."

And that's why right there I wonder if Albert would consider coming out of retirement and playing for the Seahawks. With the Seahawks, he WOULD have a real realistic shot at getting a Super Bowl Ring.

If I'm John Schneider, this is one set of tires that I'd most certainly kick. Given the fact that Schneider has always said that the Seahawks would be "everywhere and in on everything" (and they always have been) ... I'd be shocked if he hasn't already reached out and made that call.

chris98251

Reaction score
He retired, so Jags may still own his rights which would mean a deal would need to be made if we wanted him to compensate the Jags. They did not cut him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
chris98251":312ggbc3 said:
He retired, so Jags may still own his rights which would mean a deal would need to be made if we wanted him to compensate the Jags. They did not cut him.

No, the Jags released him. He is a FA.

toffee

Reaction score
Sign Brandon Albert already, or kick the tires on Michael Oher but Oher may not get medical clearance.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2qpf4wqx said:
Albert would be an intriguing guy for sure. I mean, here we're talking about not only just a guy who played Left Tackle ... but a player who actually made the Pro Bowl in 2013 and 2014. And then at the age of 32 (seemingly still at the top of his game), he up and suddenly announces his retirement from the NFL. A few thoughts come to mind when I think about Albert ...

1) We're talking about a guy who when he WAS playing ... was a PRO BOWL caliber LT.

2) At 32, how much tread does he still have on the tires? That's the biggest consideration to think about.

3) BUT, given his age and this point in the year, we're not talking big dollars here. He's going to get the vet minimum.

4) Why did he choose to up and retire? I'm wondering if part of the rationale was, "I'm 32 and I'm playing for Jacksonville. I have no realistic shot of playing for a Super Bowl and I'm already set for life financially ... so I'm going to hang it up."

And that's why right there I wonder if Albert would consider coming out of retirement and playing for the Seahawks. With the Seahawks, he WOULD have a real realistic shot at getting a Super Bowl Ring.

If I'm John Schneider, this is one set of tires that I'd most certainly kick. Given the fact that Schneider has always said that the Seahawks would be "everywhere and in on everything" (and they always have been) ... I'd be shocked if he hasn't already reached out and made that call.
Boom. Well put.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The Seahawks cut Jarhi Evans at the vet minimum and let Reese O backup play at RG (and step on RWs foot) in a playoff game we very much could have won. Evans went on to rate as an above average starter for the Saints, and signed another contract with the Packers for over 2MM to replace Laing.

Tom Cable thinks he's some sort of a Oline magician but he really lacks ability to identify talent. He might be a good coach technically, but he needs his hands out of personnel decisions... there's no way JS has autonomy for OLINE decisions.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Schneider made the call on Ifedi. Per John, when watching Ifedi, a coach or scout, can't remember which, came up to Schneider and said "If you don't draft Germaine Ifedi, you don't know what you're doing." John replied "Okay, guess I'm drafting Ifedi."

I'm sure John was already sold on Germaine, but that comment, from someone he respected, put it over the top.

I'm sure Germaine will be fine given time, he just came off his rookie year playing an unfamiliar position, and now he's playing a "new NFL" position against NFL calibre players.

He busted his tail last off season as did Fant, under Britt's tutelage, and a few games in this year, I expect our returning offensive linemen to show a vast improvement over last year.

Make no mistake, when improvement shows this year, only one person will deserve praise for it, Justin Britt.

Every time we signed a new Olineman this off season, Justin was on the phone with them that day. "Here's where we work out, here's what time we get there, here's where you get your nutritional diet information, I expect to see you tomorrow."

THAT, is why I expect improvement from our Offensive Line this year..but not right away, 2 or 3 games in.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch Albert with a 100 foot pole. Not only has been a shell of his former self over the last few years, but now its hard to say if his heart is even in the game. The only reason he unretired was to collect on a bonus he would have otherwise lost by being retired in the first place. By triggering that bonus, the Jags were left with no other option but to release him.

Sorry but thanks but no thanks on Branden Albert.

DJrmb

Reaction score
He had a dip last year dealing with a rash of injuries including a dislocated wrist. However, he was still good in 2015 and before. I don't think he's in his prime anymore but I wouldn't say he's been a shell of himself for multiple years...

While Aaron Resnick of Pro Football Focus noted Albert's PFF grade of 49.0 in an injury-marred 2016 was the worst of his career, the offensive tackle boasted a grade of at least 74.4 in each of the previous eight seasons and surpassed 80 three times.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-report-to-jaguars-after-previously-retiring

He was also still clearly an Asset to their team even in his worst statistical season in the NFL:
Albert's Return Will Provide Major Boost to Dolphins

The Dolphins are in the midst of a six-game winning streak that has put them firmly back into the playoff picture, so changing the makeup of the offensive line at this point isn't ideal. Laremy Tunsil's natural position is left tackle, but he's certainly gotten in a groove at left guard, while Albert has been good to the outside of him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ry-updates-on-dolphins-lts-wrist-and-recovery

Brandon Albert 1024x575

As for his heart not being in it I don't blame him for being disappointed going from a playoff team to a team completely rebuilding and expected to be one of the worst in the league. It was well documented that Albert was not happy about being traded to Jacksonville and I believe that is why we had all the drama in the offseason of him retiring and coming back.

Also to be fair he did not come back to "collect on a bonus". He came back because Jacksonville threatened to come after 3.4m of his signing bonus.

Jaguars LT Branden Albert has decided to report back to the team.
Albert announced just one week ago that he was retiring, but it didn't last long. When he decided to walk away from the team, it was then reported that Albert would owe the Jaguars $3.4 million in signing bonus money that was paid to him after Jacksonville acquired Albert from the Dolphins. All along, Albert has been trying to force the Jaguars' hands in an effort to land more guaranteed money, but GM Dave Caldwell and EVP Tom Coughlin haven't budged. Before "retiring," Albert was reportedly looking ragged in practice. He has one month to get his act together and should ultimately start at left tackle if the club welcomes him back. Aug 7 - 9:34 PM

Albert would definitely help this team if they can find a way to pay him and motivate him (which I believe playing for a true contender would help out a lot).