49ers trading TE Vance McDonald

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/902563046282977280[/tweet]

Well I guess they needed the cap room or are doing a little profit taking or something? A very curious move. Surely there are follow up moves/trades ..... unless they are tanking the season?

The Steelers get an experienced tight end and an early 5th round pick for a late fourth round pick.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
They've been trying to move McDonald since the draft.

No follow up trades or signings at TE coming though: RB, TE, and DL are the only positions in which roster cuts will be at all tough for them. If they make another trade it will be a DL they were planning on cutting: probably Dial who doesn't fit the scheme, I'd guess.

While it's true that McDonald is stupidly overpaid (extending him at the end of last year was Baalke's last move as GM), what's really going on is that they'll be carrying three tight ends: Paulsen they're high on as their blocking TE, Kittle (who they just drafted) who they're high on as their receiving tight end, and Celek who Shanahan is very high on as a do-it-all 3rd TE for reasons that I don't understand.

McDonald has been on the outs for months now though.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":347oqofu said:

No follow up trades or signings at TE coming though: RB, TE, and DL are the only positions in which roster cuts will be at all tough for them. If they make another trade it will be a DL they were planning on cutting: probably Dial who doesn't fit the scheme, I'd guess.

While it's true that McDonald is stupidly overpaid (extending him at the end of last year was Baalke's last move as GM), what's really going on is that they'll be carrying three tight ends: Paulsen they're high on as their blocking TE, Kittle (who they just drafted) who they're high on as their receiving tight end, and Celek who Shanahan is very high on as a do-it-all 3rd TE for reasons that I don't understand.

I don't follow the 49ers like I once did ....... so thanks for the updates. Seems like the 49ers are continuing with a rather complete make over.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3o6ep7zx said:

I considered Celek to be a tiny bit above average which in this league at this time and during your rebuild, is actually a value keep. Balance with TE corp veteran and a couple players to learn the new ropes. Just my thoughts.

nanomoz

Reaction score
What a great trade for Pittsburgh. With some development he never seemed to get in the shit show that has been SanFran, Heath Miller should be suitably replaced. Steeler fans will love him.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Jville":mj6rhqjr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/902563046282977280[/tweet]

Well I guess they needed the cap room or are doing a little profit taking or something? A very curious move. Surely there are follow up moves/trades ..... unless they are tanking the season?

The Steelers get an experienced tight end and an early 5th round pick for a late fourth round pick.
49ers have more cap space than any other team if I recall- or they did in April at least:
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nf ... ots-033117

It's just because (a) McDonald has stone hands, (b) the 49ers don't want him on the long term contract Baalke signed him to last season, and (c) George Kittle looks like a total steal at TE.

chris98251

Reaction score
So between the Jets, Browns and 49ers how many can name the most players on any of those teams these days. That's without looking it up on line also, I know ya all cheat that way :)

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
chris98251":2jakbe1i said:
So between the Jets, Browns and 49ers how many can name the most players on any of those teams these days. That's without looking it up on line also, I know ya all cheat that way :)
Lol 49er fans like myself can name our team, but with as much turnover as the team has had this year I wouldn't blame a fan for not knowing.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Wasn't Luke Willlson the backup to McDonald? Makes the Willson pickup seem even more savvy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3lrhozw7 said:
Wasn't Luke Willlson the backup to McDonald? Makes the Willson pickup seem even more savvy.

At TCU, yes. Luke had a couple of injuries, which is why he went where he did. But Schneider was sweating that pick in the draft and was relieved when he got Willson in the 5th.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":38kjxf5m said:
Ad Hawk":38kjxf5m said:

At TCU, yes. Luke had a couple of injuries, which is why he went where he did. But Schneider was sweating that pick in the draft and was relieved when he got Willson in the 5th.
It was Rice not TCU.