Browns cut Joe Haden

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Heck yes give it a shot. Our financials are limited though. Can we cut some guys we've invested in that haven't quite worked out? After toiling on the Brown's all these years he has to be ready for some winning and he has a reputation as one of the best locker room guys in the league. He may do more volunteer work with kids than even Russell.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
0% the Hawks get him. Someone will give him at least $6 mil a year

OP
OP
D

drcool

Reaction score
dutchcoug":cxa0ef27 said:
0% the Hawks get him. Someone will give him at least $6 mil a year

I highly doubt we will get him too. But coming to Seattle is one of his best shots at getting a Super Bowl ring. So if he wants that there are only 3-4 teams that would give him as good a chance of winning a Super Bowl this year.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If this was a '13 or '14 Joe Hayden the answer would be yes. But the '17 Joe Hayden? No thanks

Popeyejones

Reaction score
drcool":2iji5o1m said:
Crazy. A couple years ago he was talked about in the same breathe as Sherman and Revis as being the top corners in the league. Has his game really dropped that much?

Injuries piled up and seriously affected his play.

The Cowboys and Saints make the most sense as landing spots, but I don't think either of them could afford him.

Honestly though, if I was the Bengals or Lions (who both have 30 million + in cap room, are weak at the CB position, and on the bubble of being very good teams) I'd give both Revis and Haden fully guaranteed 5 million 1 year contracts and just see what happens.

Jville

Reaction score
The pending Joe Haden cut is another interesting development. I guess $54,841,873 isn't enough cap space for the Browns. Cutting Joe Haden will add another $7,200,000 to their already bloated 2017 cap space. I would think the players union is taking notes and will site such huge cap space examples during their 2021 negotiations. Sowing the seeds of a 2021 strike. Remember these days fans .... remember these days [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space[/urltargetblank]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":1zglb9sz said:
The pending Joe Haden cut is another interesting development. I guess $54,841,873 isn't enough cap space for the Browns. Cutting Joe Haden will add another $7,200,000 to their already bloated 2017 cap space. I would think the players union is taking notes and will site such huge cap space examples during their 2021 negotiations. Sowing the seeds of a 2021 strike. Remember these days fans .... remember these days [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space[/urltargetblank]

It's basically already dealt with in the current CBA, in which teams have a floor spend of 89% of the salary cap over revolving four year windows.

IIRC the new window just started this year -- why the Jags and Raiders broke the FA bank last year to get over the 89% threshold for the last window, as you just fork the money over to the NFLPA for nothing if you don't make the floor.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26ked288 said:
Jville":26ked288 said:

It's basically already dealt with in the current CBA, in which teams have a floor spend of 89% of the salary cap over revolving four year windows.

IIRC the new window just started this year -- why the Jags and Raiders broke the FA bank last year to get over the 89% threshold for the last window, as you just fork the money over to the NFLPA for nothing if you don't make the floor.

I hear what you saying. However, they will use the history of the current CBA to argue for a better CBA in 2021 and if neccessary justify a strike with that history. There is going to be a price to pay. Maybe it will be as simple as a number higher than 89%. Then again, maybe it will result in a demand for a significantly restructured CBA in 2021.

El Caliente

Reaction score
Yeah, Schefter says that the Chiefs and the Saints are the most likely landing spots for him, but as a Saints fan, I am not sure if I want him. Don't get me wrong, he is a great talent, but unless you have watched the Saints this preseason, and in training camp you probably wouldn't understand. The Saints cornerbacks are actually quite good. Not Sherman/Browner good, but they are young and really performing well. I would hate to see one of these young guys lose snaps to Hayden when Hayden has really fallen off a cliff as of the last 2 years.

In short, sure he can come to the Saints, but he needs to earn his playing time.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Jville":tchr6ltd said:

^

Perspectives like these is why I visit this site daily.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well, they are unloading left and right and maybe are setting themselves up for a SUCK FOR LUCK type deal for a big name QB.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I actually think this was smart by the Browns. Do not keep bad players for high dollars (I don't know what to say about osweiler, I am not defending the team, just this move). Simple.

They asked him to take a pay cut (rightfully so), he said no. Steelers subsequently overpay for a name.

Josea16

Reaction score
rjdriver":erwnr2du said:
kidhawk":erwnr2du said:
he signed a deal with the Steelers 3 years / $27 million

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... h-steelers

Geesh. That didn't take long. He signed with a division rival for essentially the same money Cleveland was offering. Revenge is a dish..
He wanted out, smart man in my opinion because everyone knew he'd get signed ASAP. Maybe Sheldon Richardson will get a clue but I doubt it.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":1mxlzvr5 said:
Well, they are unloading left and right and maybe are setting themselves up for a SUCK FOR LUCK type deal for a big name QB.
Gee, it not obvious for you? Basically the 2018 draft is supposed to be like the 1983 draft with 7-8 franchise level quarterbacks so you have Buffalo,, Cleveland, New York Jets and San Francisco essentially tanking their seasons like Indianapolis in 2011.