Lions Trade OL Tomlinson to Niners

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000837349/article/detroit-lions-trading-ol-laken-tomlinson-to-niners[/urltargetblank]

Yet another trade in what appears to be an already trade heavy pre-season

Jville

Reaction score
This year provides is a terrific up tick in trading action. Fun!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EpKap/status/903293842140655616[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Weird trade for the 9ers.

He's very similar to Josh Garnett in that what he can do well (or, was supposed to be able to do well when he was drafted) is a very poor fit for Shanahan's run scheme.

I could see giving him a go in a power scheme, but an outside zone scheme relies on everything that he struggles with.

Happy to be proven wrong of course but don't like this trade at all for the 49ers.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":tqr605kq said:
Elimination of 75-man roster cuts rule might be the reason why we are seeing more trades this year. I love this rule! Trades are fun.

I agree, this has been fun, and I expect it to get a lot more exciting before and during all the cut downs.

I've seen people complain that this new process rewards the bad front offices, but I think the opposite is true. With everyone becoming available at once the teams that 'win' this mini free agency period will be the ones that have the most organized front offices who do the best homework on the most guys. And I think the Hawks are near or at the top of that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2t91ffma said:
Elimination of 75-man roster cuts rule might be the reason why we are seeing more trades this year. I love this rule! Trades are fun.

Which really doesn't make sense to me because all the players involved are fringe players....meaning if not traded, they would be released so not sure why any team would want to trade for them. Just could get them when they're cut and not have to give up anything for them.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":392bl679 said:
SeahawksFanForever":392bl679 said:

Which really doesn't make sense to me because all the players involved are fringe players....meaning if not traded, they would be released so not sure why any team would want to trade for them. Just could get them when they're cut and not have to give up anything for them.

Think of it more like a mini draft except you have some NFL experience to gauge them by. You use your draft choices (late rounders) to take guys that have a realistic shot at being a solid backup in your system. If you wait for release, you fight with 31 other teams to try to get who you want. One way is guaranteeing the player you want (similar to using draft picks on draft day)...the other does not (similar to grabbing up undrafted free agents after the draft)

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":355wwhx7 said:
SeahawksFanForever":355wwhx7 said:

All players are unique in their attributes. Smart traders inquire about specific fits for their teams. Acquiring those unique fits make a team better. Successful traders and team decision makers are in possession of considerably more information and detail than fans and commentators.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Many players are going to be cap casualties or cut because of needs or to keep young drafted new players
I sure hope it's going to be as crazy as it sounds bcuz it sounds like a blast :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23dz2z8u said:
SeahawksFanForever":23dz2z8u said:

Its because instead of half the pkayers being cut 1 week and half being cut the next, they all go to market at the same time. Much harder for teams to go after their targets with 1200 or whatever players becoming available at once and having to fight with 31 other teams, so they trade some late round picks for guys they really want before the cuts.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Go back and look at the first rounder Oline men in that 2015 draft. It is a house of horrors. Tomlinson is just like the rest of his class.