Pumped-up pioneers: the '63 Chargers

ivotuk

Reaction score
My Co-Worker is a Chargers fan, and he showed me this article, which I thought was a really interesting read.

"He brought intelligence to the game, counterintelligence," says Bob Petrich, a former defensive end who was a rookie in 1963. "He brought everything that you could bring, and he would bring a cannon to a gunfight."

...On the first day of camp, he introduced a 5-foot-6 Louisiana man named Alvin Roy, the mastermind of their weight program.

"[Gillman] said, 'This man is what every team will eventually have: a strength coach,'" says Hall of Fame offensive tackle Ron Mix.

And then Roy addressed the players.

"I still remember his speech, almost verbatim," Mix says. "He said, 'Because you're going to be lifting weights in addition to working out twice a day, you're going to need more protein.'

And he said, 'When I was a trainer for the U.S. team in the Olympics, I learned a secret from those Rooskies.' And he held up a bottle of pink pills, and he says, 'This stuff is called Dianabol and it's going to help assimilate protein and you'll be taking it every day.' And, sure enough, it showed up on our training tables in cereal bowls.

Pumped-up pioneers: the '63 Chargers

Feb 1, 2009 T.J. Quinn ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3866837