Possible OL Pickups

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Since Wenhawk started one for the DL ... I thought I'd do the same for the Offensive Line. Though it appears we're set in that area, I think most of us would agree that if there's an opportunity for improvement, you definitely explore that.

I posted this in the Net Nation cuts, but thought I'd post this here as well.

Here's one that for me, if I'm John Schneider and he's got good tread left, I'd kick the tires on and take a look ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/904065112436338689[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Let's keep this discussion in the NFL Forum unless real connection to the Seahawks are made.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Alex Boone is an interesting cut. He was their marquee pick up last offseason. That Vikings squad is just not ready for the season to start.

Atradees

Reaction score
Good call. I was looking for a thread like this just now. Went to kffl and saw Alex Boone had been cut.
This is a salary cap move. He wants to be paid.

There could be some journeymen lineman out there. I hope we are paying attention.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37jhca6l said:
Alex Boone is an interesting cut. He was their marquee pick up last offseason. That Vikings squad is just not ready for the season to start.
i just came on here because i saw that the vikings released him
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2054 ... r-pup-list

versatile, and better than anything we have on the right side.... he plays a solid guard and right tackle. GO GET HIM NOW JOHN PLEASE :shock: :shock: :shock: he'd be a week 1 starter for us on the right side.........

Atradees

Reaction score
We stay away from vets for some reason. Jahri Evans seemed like he didn't have much of an opportunity. Alex also wants fair value or $.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Atradees":2f4fbdm7 said:
We stay away from vets for some reason. Jahri Evans seemed like he didn't have much of an opportunity. Alex also wants fair value or $.

yep and i think you'd agree that cutting evans, who had a solid season last year, proved disastrous

massari

Reaction score
Rookies G Dorian Johnson and T Conor Mcdermott were cut.

Cyrus Kouandjio was cut as well, though injuries have likely caught up to him because he's been released by two teams over a few months.

Last season, Kouandjio’s overall grade of 76.7 ranked 34th among 78 qualifying NFL tackles.
Kouandjio was also 29th out of 74 tackles with a pass-blocking efficiency of 95.2.

Over 207 pass-blocking snaps, Kouandjio didn’t allow a single QB hit, and surrendered only one sack. However, he did allow 12 QB hurries.

Kouandjio’s playing time did increase from 2015, as he went from playing only 234 snaps due to injuries to 406 in 2016.

Cyrus kouandjio update

nanomoz

Reaction score
Dorian Johnson might be someone that Cable likes. 35 1/4" arms, nearly 11" hands, top recruit out of high school.

massari

Reaction score
nanomoz":17b435yv said:
Dorian Johnson might be someone that Cable likes. 35 1/4" arms, nearly 11" hands, top recruit out of high school.
He's definitely worth a look but it's said the main reason he was cut is he's got terrible lateral agility. Don't know if that'd be a good fit for ZBS.

flufferd

Reaction score
Greco should be great or doesn't he fit our scheme? Reasonably versatile ass well.

massari

Reaction score
flufferd":1b05rt9v said:
Greco should be great or doesn't he fit our scheme?
He's said to have his best year in a ZBS. If he's recovered from his foot injury, another nice option it seems.

John Greco

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
massari":2uf7w8kh said:
flufferd":2uf7w8kh said:
He's said to have his best year in a ZBS. If he's recovered from his foot injury, another nice option it seems.

John Greco

Might be interesting to have a look, but it is an odd year so evidence shows that we will only get average production. Maybe a two year deal?

flufferd

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":2gzzsw91 said:
massari":2gzzsw91 said:
flufferd":2gzzsw91 said:

John Greco

Might be interesting to have a look, but it is an odd year so evidence shows that we will only get average production. Maybe a two year deal?
Since when aren't we hoping for average?

massari

Reaction score
Hear the Vikings were/are moving to ZBS and Alex Boone wasn't a good fit..... he's more of a power blocker....

That said, Greco (if healthy) could be ideal at RG and can release Aboushi, Battle, Tobin or try to get Roos to the PS to make room.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":2l9ok8jw said:
Hear the Vikings were/are moving to ZBS and Alex Boone wasn't a good fit..... he's more of a power blocker....

Think that's a polite way of saying he's not living up to his contract to be honest.

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vfq2vmg said:
massari":3vfq2vmg said:

Think that's a polite way of saying he's not living up to his contract to be honest.

So what happened to change the landscape for the former prized free agent? Well, a lot.

Let’s start with the sea change the Vikings have undergone on offense since signing Boone: Teddy Bridgewater sustained a catastrophic knee injury, precipitating a trade for Sam Bradford. Adrian Peterson tore his right meniscus, rendering moot the downhill power runs that offensive coordinator Norv Turner favored and Boone relished. And after Turner resigned in the middle of last season, the Vikings turned the offense over to Pat Shurmur — Bradford’s coordinator in St. Louis and Philadelphia who favored more West Coast offensive principles and a zone-running scheme.

A look at the Vikings' revised starting offensive line
What’s the difference? Rather than relying on powerful offensive linemen such as Boone to move large chunks of earth, zone schemes lean more on quick, mobile linemen who can work as a unit and create opportunities for running backs to make one cut up the middle of the field, bend a run outside or bounce it back into a cutback lane.

“These guys are a little bit more athletic; they don’t need to be as big,” said ESPN NFL analyst Herm Edwards, who spent eight years as a head coach for the Jets and Chiefs. “They’re not the big heavy guys that are double-teaming. They’re more, ‘When the ball is snapped, get off the ball — then use your momentum as you try to stay in your gap to push you out of it, because everything is going sideways.’ Nothing is going vertical, it’s all sideways.”

Latest posts