good game seahawks

sutz

Reaction score
Thanx. Looks like your guys have the makings of a good/great Defense.

OP
OP
S

SF49r

Reaction score
sutz":2zm66vdg said:
Loving the "Seattle" scheme so far but we still lack a LEO and I'm not sold on our deep safety yet

xgeoff

Reaction score
sutz":72igsutz said:

Very premature to say this. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Bottom line is that our O-line makes every defense look like champions. The Niner defense wasn't all that against Carolina and the Green Bay D came back down to Earth against Atlanta.

Frankly it looks like SF finally has some talented people at GM and Coach, so I expect them to be much better going forward. But to make any sort of evaluation of their Defense based on their play against the Seahawks....c'mon.

OP
OP
S

SF49r

Reaction score
xgeoff":37spiq43 said:
sutz":37spiq43 said:

Very premature to say this. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Bottom line is that our O-line makes every defense look like champions. The Niner defense wasn't all that against Carolina and the Green Bay D came back down to Earth against Atlanta.

Frankly it looks like SF finally has some talented people at GM and Coach, so I expect them to be much better going forward. But to make any sort of evaluation of their Defense based on their play against the Seahawks....c'mon.
I thought our D held up pretty well vs the Panthers, offense committed 5 turnovers and still held them to 23

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
xgeoff":15p65lts said:
sutz":15p65lts said:

The 49ers held the Panthers under 300 yards. What happened was the offense was absolutely terrible, giving the Panthers plenty of chances.

sutz

Reaction score
SF49r":l65pko90 said:
sutz":l65pko90 said:
Loving the "Seattle" scheme so far but we still lack a LEO and I'm not sold on our deep safety yet
I don't think we've had a "pure" LEO in years. ;)

Deep safety is a huge requirement. We wouldn't be the D we are without Earl Thomas back there, and weren't last season after he went down with a broken leg. In many ways, or D keys off of its back end rather than the front end.

Marvin49

Reaction score
xgeoff":2tjqu42h said:
sutz":2tjqu42h said:

Fair to say its early, but SF actually played pretty well against Carolina. Same thing happened though...offense couldn't sustain anything and D wore down.

As other poster said...the big thing they are missing is a good Leo. Front 7 really has a chance to be good. The Front 7 looked great yesterday (and yes, I get that Seattles O-Line is a big, big problem) and they were playing without probably the best player on the team already in Reuben Foster (which is both a compliment to Reuben and an indictment on the rest of the roster).

The switch tho to this style of D has made a BIG difference from last year. Last year they were a 3-4 read and react defense. No they are pure attack so it isn't just a matter of getting more talent...iuts been allowing the players they've selected high in the recent past to attack instead of sitting back. Tank Carradine has actually been great through 2 weeks when he has largely been invisible for most of his NFL career. this is a MUCH better scheme fit for him.

Anyway...I'm not crowning anyone but I think its safe to say they are MUCH improved on D from last year but that ain't exactly a high bar to clear. Lots of potential there though. Just need a Leo and a corner or 2.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sutz":294j0ccl said:
SF49r":294j0ccl said:
sutz":294j0ccl said:
I don't think we've had a "pure" LEO in years. ;)

Deep safety is a huge requirement. We wouldn't be the D we are without Earl Thomas back there, and weren't last season after he went down with a broken leg. In many ways, or D keys off of its back end rather than the front end.

I actually really like Jimmy Ward in that role, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field. Just returned for this game so we'll see how he plays and how long he can stay in the lineup. He is a true center fielder type with range. Nobody is gonna be Earl, but I like Wards potential there.

He was a safety in college and 49ers moved him to corner.

Feels like a lot of 49ers were playing out of position in old scheme and new scheme fits their talents far better (Carradine, Ward, Reid).

mrt144

Reaction score
I feel bad for Eric Reid. Should have stayed out the first time but didn't want to let the team fall into the abyss potentially.

rlkats

Reaction score
Good win hawks. It was a tough loss, but with Hoyer as QB I will get used to it. I do like the D sf is showing we are getting better. Not great but better. Usually we get zero pass rush and you all score at will. I feel like even with your line you all have never had a problem scoring on us. It took backyard football and Wilson running to do it. Good game and congrats.