LT: Go get Duane Brown now

Hendo66

Reaction score
JS needs to get on the phone with Houston and make a deal asap.
Do what you gotta do and lock down the LT position before this season gets away from us.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Why would Houston give him up?

And what if sacrificing multiple first-round picks just sabotages future seasons? They have the power to do that.

sutz

Reaction score
This may not be fantasy football, but it is definitely fantasy.

:laugh:

2_0_6

Reaction score
I would love to have him, but they are going to want some sort of compensation.

OP
OP
H

Hendo66

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3oc4ayit said:

And what if sacrificing multiple first-round picks just sabotages future seasons? They have the power to do that.

Why not?
He's sitting at home, Hou isn't getting anything out of him. He probably won't show up until week 10.
He isn't going to cost multiple 1st round picks.
Seattle doesn't use their 1st round picks anyway. If they did they wouldn't get the talent of Brown.
It looks like we are sabotaging this and future seasons with this garbage of an OL.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Hendo66":ljyfiqfm said:
MontanaHawk05":ljyfiqfm said:

Why not?
He's sitting at home, Hou isn't getting anything out of him. He probably won't show up until week 10.
He isn't going to cost multiple 1st round picks.
Seattle doesn't use their 1st round picks anyway. If they did they wouldn't get the talent of Brown.
It looks like we are sabotaging this and future seasons with this garbage of an OL.

The longer he sits, the more likely he would get injured if/when he comes back.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Even if we were able to get him, he would probably end up as our 3rd string center due to his "versatility". :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_off:

nanomoz

Reaction score
This is actually an intriguing idea. He's not playing now anyway.

What would get it done? He's only 26, and a 2nd-tier tackle, probably.

Given the dearth of offensive line talent in the league, I'd think it'd take first rounder and a good player that would help Watson develop. Maybe even another draft pick.

Is it worth Graham, a first, and a third? They'd have to consider it, right? And unloading Graham would free up enough cap space.

Blaze808

Reaction score
Its not looking like a Good LT draft class for 2018, and (imo) we're in "Win Now" mode, so giving up draft picks for a NFL ready LT would be feasible. The FO is historically terrible at evaluating O-linemen, but we hit out of the park finding Elite talent at other positions in later rounds. To me it would make sense to spend draft picks on O-linemen who's somewhat good to operable at this point.

ivotuk

Reaction score
nanomoz":2j98t3ru said:
This is actually an intriguing idea. He's not playing now anyway.

What would get it done? He's only 26, and a 2nd-tier tackle, probably.

Given the dearth of offensive line talent in the league, I'd think it'd take first rounder and a good player that would help Watson develop. Maybe even another draft pick.

Is it worth Graham, a first, and a third? They'd have to consider it, right? And unloading Graham would free up enough cap space.

He's 32, in his 10th year, and probably on his last legs. Offensive Linemen last about 10 years, tops, then they start getting weak, slow, and injured.

The great Walter Jones played 12 years, but started to struggle as a Left Tackle, and with injuries.

I don't want Duane Brown because he seems more interested in money, than in playing. And it's foolish to hold out, just ask Kam.

OP
OP
H

Hendo66

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3g8cer6m said:
What does he want in order to play?

Maybe a fair contract and just a change in scenery would get him on the field.
I believe he has a 2yr, 21m contract in place.
Throw JG in and HOU might get interested, I think all their TE's had concussions last week.

aredub

Reaction score
Wouldn't hate this for a 2 year deal. But wouldn't mind seeing them pick up Dan Skipper from the Cowboys practice squad. Swing tackle, 6-10. Would be massively helpful for the run game. Don't know how he'd hang with speed rushers in the pass game but better than Obi.

massari

Reaction score
He couldn't possibly cost a 1st rounder+, given he's 32 years old and holding out for more money.

Jimmy Graham+3rd rounder? Throw in Jeremy Lane if they want as well to free up more cap room.

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports there is "no end in sight" for Texans LT Duane Brown's holdout.
Brown will have to show up around Week 8 to make sure his contract does not toll, but it does not look like he is planning to end his holdout before then. The Texans also are not interested in playing ball and have not had any negotiations with the left tackle since the holdout began. At this point, a trade may be the best outcome for both sides.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Osprey":3vm68vjo said:
aredub":3vm68vjo said:
Dan Skipper from the Cowboys practice squad. Swing tackle, 6-10.

You want a tackle TWICE Russell's height :shock:

Congrats and thanks. You gave me something to chuckle about in this very dreary season.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Doh. My bad. Don't know what I confused.

massari

Reaction score
NFL trades that teams need to make before the Halloween deadline
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/elev ... -deadline/

Here's some notable guys the Hawks should be interested in:

Cordy Glenn T / Bills
Yes, the Bills are a great feel-good story at 3-1 and in first place in the AFC East. And, yes, on paper Glenn is a well-paid, starting left tackle for them. But the team has actually gone on its two-game tear with Glenn injured and he's banged up a lot and he's not as good as his contract would dictate. This regime also inherited him and has already done well moving former high picks like Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby and Cardale Jones in trades. The line has looked better without him, but he would still be a major upgrade on what other teams are running out at left tackle. He's due a little over $20M total in 2018-2019 and with six picks in the top three rounds in 2018, his younger, cheaper replacement might already be on the horizon. A lot of old-school front offices would never consider this, but given what I have seen from Beane and coach Sean McDermott so far, I wouldn't put much past them.

Joe Thomas T / Browns
This should have happened years ago with the Browns perpetually three or more years from competing and always in love with future draft picks, and Thomas nearing the end and with an easily trade-able contract. The Browns could still be winless at the deadline and rookie QB DeShone Kizer is getting pummeled even with Thomas on the field and the teams desperate for an upgrade at left tackle are too many to mention. I doubt anything happens here, because the Browns are stubborn and Thomas would never ask for a trade, but it's backwards he's still there under these circumstances.

Duane Brown T / Texans
Yes, this team looks like the front-runner in the AFC South, so why trade a former Pro Bowl tackle? Well, Brown is not planning to end his holdout until after the bye and, with Deshaun Watson thriving at QB since taking over, the acute protection issues don't seem so acute and they rolled up 57 points on the Titans last weekend without Brown. Why have a lingering situation on a potential playoff team? They could get a player to help right now or recoup one of the 2018 draft picks they gave up by trading up to draft Deshaun Watson last spring. Again, there would be no shortage of suitors for him.

Anthony Castonzo T / Colts
Castonzo could be sold as a right tackle -- where he would end up playing on a better line -- and with two years and $16M in total left on his deal beyond 2017, that's still not bad even on the right side. The Colts are going to have to draft an upgrade at left tackle anyway. A new team that moves him to the right side would have some leverage to re-do his contract to stay as well.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
massari":1wqob4ru said:

Cordy Glenn T / Bills
But the team has actually gone on its two-game tear with Glenn injured and he's banged up a lot and he's not as good as his contract would dictate.

Why would we want that?

Joe Thomas T / Browns
QB DeShone Kizer is getting pummeled even with Thomas on the field

That doesn't mean they want him pummeled even more.

Duane Brown T / Texans
holdout

And I suppose nobody sees any downside to that.

Anthony Castonzo T / Colts
Castonzo could be sold as a right tackle -- where he would end up playing on a better line -- and with two years and $16M in total left on his deal beyond 2017, that's still not bad even on the right side. The Colts are going to have to draft an upgrade at left tackle anyway. A new team that moves him to the right side would have some leverage to re-do his contract to stay as well.

See Joe Thomas, especially with Luck injured and after what we just did to Brissett.

If we're in "something, anything, would be better than Rees and Ifedi" mode, then we already have Matt Tobin.

massari

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2uabo848 said:
massari":2uabo848 said:

Cordy Glenn T / Bills
But the team has actually gone on its two-game tear with Glenn injured and he's banged up a lot and he's not as good as his contract would dictate.

Why would we want that?
-Seen as one of the premier pass-blocking tackles in the league, Glenn has ranked inside the top 20 every season but one in terms of pass-blocking grade with grades of 84.0 (2013), 83.2 (2014), 87.6 (2015) and 86.4 (2016). The only exception came in his rookie season.

-Last season, Glenn only surrendered 17 total pressures, which ranked third among OTs, and had a pass-blocking efficiency of 96.4, which ranked eighth.
Cordy Glenn

Didn't realize till just now he's got a $14.5M cap hit for the next couple seasons :shock: . Assumed it was closer to $10M.

Duane Brown T / Texans
holdout

And I suppose nobody sees any downside to that.
I see the upside, considering a contending team wouldn't normally trade their top tier LT unless there are some sort of internal problems or they've got a viable younger/cheaper replacement like Dawkins in Buffalo. If it's more money that he wants (which may not be the case), then give the guy something like $12M per or so (prorated) over the remaining time of his contract.

Joe Thomas T / Browns
QB DeShone Kizer is getting pummeled even with Thomas on the field

That doesn't mean they want him pummeled even more.
If the rebuilding Browns can get the Seahawks (or another team's) late 1st round pick for a 33 year old Thomas, I don't see why they wouldn't considering they'll have a top 5 draft pick and would replace him with a younger/cheaper LT that'll be around by the time they're actually contending. Would love to trade a 1st for Thomas, then trade Graham for a 2nd or 3rd somewhere else to clear the cap room. Trade Lane too if possible.