I'm calling it now

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Niners beat Jerruh's kids next week with or without Zeke.
*allas is ripe for the picking and SC is barely losing games.

SF49r

Reaction score
I hope so we are due, lost the last 5 games.by 3 points or less NFL record :pukeface:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3cprm9f7 said:

With Christ Jesus Beathard quarterbacking the 49ers now, expect 10 consecutive wins. :les:

chris98251

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":38pcwrls said:
Sports Hernia":38pcwrls said:

With Christ Jesus Beathard quarterbacking the 49ers now, expect 10 consecutive wins. :les:

ByjmjGXCMAAgA07

Are you taking away his Clipboard ?

This guy will be pissed.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
adeltaY":33pik338 said:
Incredibly unlikely to happen. Would be great if it did though!
Have you seen how crappy *allas's D is????? Niners don't have a win yet but have been in just about every game barely losing most of the games they played.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3odisdgn said:
5_Golden_Rings":3odisdgn said:
Sports Hernia":3odisdgn said:

ByjmjGXCMAAgA07

Are you taking away his Clipboard ?

This guy will be pissed.

Yep, piss off Charlie "clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst and he'll make his girlfriend sing! 8)

SF49r

Reaction score
This guy is exactly like Alex smith early in his career except without the vagina

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think the 9ers would have had a chance with Hoyer, but Beathard is just awful.

I seriously don’t understand what 9ers fans see in him.

SF49r

Reaction score
I like him. He commanded the offense very well, he can read a defense, and he's got that Madison Bumgarnder 'aw shucks' type of confidence. His big weakness is arm strength though

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SF49r":2ujmeyxp said:
I like him. He commanded the offense very well, he can read a defense, and he's got that Madison Bumgarnder 'aw shucks' type of confidence. His big weakness is arm strength though
Nah, it's not arm strength. It's timing/anticipation. This makes it LOOK like the ball gets there late some times. He can throw it pretty hard and pretty far.

Popeyejones":2ujmeyxp said:
I think the 9ers would have had a chance with Hoyer, but Beathard is just awful.

If you think Hoyer is better than Beathard, then either you haven't seen a lot of Hoyer or you haven't seen a lot of Beathard.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":261ddg3n said:

Are you playing jedi mind tricks with the local population Popeye? :mrgreen:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not playing mind tricks or having a goof. Beathard is bad.

He's better at playing off schedule than Hoyer, for a rookie has a good control of the offense, faces pressure well, steps into the pocket well, seems to be good at diagnosing defenses pre-snap, and feels pressure well.

a QB guy like Shanahan likes him because he does a lot of things well that rookie QBs (and even some long tenure QBs) really struggle with.

But I think he's already pretty near to his ceiling, and his ceiling still sucks.

His accuracy is horrible. Even when accurate his ball placement is horrible. With Beathard people are going to keep talking about receiver drops (which have plagued the team so far) but fail to mention that Beathard routinely makes easy catches hard. He did it all through college. He did all through pre-season. He did it on Sunday. His day was saved by (1) some decent run blocking after he came in, (2) the Colts giving up passes to the RBs after they were well in front, and (3) a busted coverage on one play. TBF he kept that play alive whereas Hoyer probably wouldn't have, but take away that 50 yard TD from a busted coverage due to miscommunication in the Colts' secondary and it's much more obvious how disastrous Beathard's day was, although TBF it was pretty typical for him, even in college.

No matter what Shanahan says, unlike Hoyer he limits the types of passing concepts you can use on offense. He throws late, inaccurate floaters outside the numbers. Every time he throws timing routes outside the hashmarks every 9ers fan should be gripping onto their seats hoping the DB doesn't get a good break on the ball because what he's doing basically makes him a finely tuned pick 6 machine.

The areas in which he excels are areas in which QBs tend to improve over time. The areas in which he struggles are the in which they don't. His only real chance for improvement is with his footwork and throwing more from his base, which he really struggles with. I still think his ceiling is a mid-range #2 QB.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20gi4e1l said:
Not playing mind tricks or having a goof. Beathard is bad.

He's better at playing off schedule than Hoyer, for a rookie has a good control of the offense, faces pressure well, steps into the pocket well, seems to be good at diagnosing defenses pre-snap, and feels pressure well.

a QB guy like Shanahan likes him because he does a lot of things well that rookie QBs (and even some long tenure QBs) really struggle with.

But I think he's already pretty near to his ceiling, and his ceiling still sucks.

His accuracy is horrible. Even when accurate his ball placement is horrible. With Beathard people are going to keep talking about receiver drops (which have plagued the team so far) but fail to mention that Beathard routinely makes easy catches hard. He did it all through college. He did all through pre-season. He did it on Sunday. His day was saved by (1) some decent run blocking after he came in, (2) the Colts giving up passes to the RBs after they were well in front, and (3) a busted coverage on one play. TBF he kept that play alive whereas Hoyer probably wouldn't have, but take away that 50 yard TD from a busted coverage due to miscommunication in the Colts' secondary and it's much more obvious how disastrous Beathard's day was, although TBF it was pretty typical for him, even in college.

No matter what Shanahan says, unlike Hoyer he limits the types of passing concepts you can use on offense. He throws late, inaccurate floaters outside the numbers. Every time he throws timing routes outside the hashmarks every 9ers fan should be gripping onto their seats hoping the DB doesn't get a good break on the ball because what he's doing basically makes him a finely tuned pick 6 machine.

The areas in which he excels are areas in which QBs tend to improve over time. The areas in which he struggles are the in which they don't. His only real chance for improvement is with his footwork and throwing more from his base, which he really struggles with. I still think his ceiling is a mid-range #2 QB.

Even with his flaws he is better than Hoyer. And timing and anticipation are not PHYSICAL limitations. As he has been a pocket qb his entire life, I do not think learning to do it will be as hard as it is for qbs like Kaepernick. If he learns to anticipate better, he will be a decent starter even with the occasional inexplicable duck (which is accurate half the time anyway).

The point is, there are two qbs on the roster and Hoyer is not the best of them. He might throw a better ball, but he has vision issues and is a statue in the pocket. Moreover, Hoyer has shown the same anticipation issues this year, so he shares the same weakness.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2gy9r4oq said:
Even with his flaws he is better than Hoyer. And timing and anticipation are not PHYSICAL limitations. As he has been a pocket qb his entire life, I do not think learning to do it will be as hard as it is for qbs like Kaepernick. If he learns to anticipate better, he will be a decent starter even with the occasional inexplicable duck (which is accurate half the time anyway).

The point is, there are two qbs on the roster and Hoyer is not the best of them. He might throw a better ball, but he has vision issues and is a statue in the pocket. Moreover, Hoyer has shown the same anticipation issues this year, so he shares the same weakness.

Even for people who don't care about the 9ers or Beathard, I think the following is great general read on the areas QBs usually can and cannot improve on (h/t to THL on the zone, who posted it in Beathard thread over there):

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2016-nfl- ... -inherent/

Long story short, the only thing I think Beathard can really improve on is his footwork, which is kind of a disaster.

The other things he really struggles with (fluidity, arm talent, and throwing off balance) are things that generally don't get better.

Long story short, he's already pretty good in most of the areas in which QBs can get better, but is bad in the areas in which QBs don't tend to get better.

All of these things were very clear in his college tape, during the pre-season, and on Sunday too.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2x8oxot3 said:
5_Golden_Rings":2x8oxot3 said:

Even for people who don't care about the 9ers or Beathard, I think the following is great general read on the areas QBs usually can and cannot improve on (h/t to THL on the zone, who posted it in Beathard thread over there):

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2016-nfl- ... -inherent/

Long story short, the only thing I think Beathard can really improve on is his footwork, which is kind of a disaster.

The other things he really struggles with (fluidity, arm talent, and throwing off balance) are things that generally don't get better.

Long story short, he's already pretty good in most of the areas in which QBs can get better, but is bad in the areas in which QBs don't tend to get better.

All of these things were very clear in his college tape, during the pre-season, and on Sunday too.

The problem with your assessment for me is that I disagree on his traits. Firstly, Beathard can throw with top level touch, and he can gun it too. He does NOT have bad arm talent. Not elite by any means, but superior to qbs like Kaepernick. He merely has consistency issues (likely caused by footwork). If you want to debate that point I would be willing to dig into film to show you that he can throw with touch and accurately. Ffs this preseason was probably the first time a 49er successfully threw a fade route since Alex Smith.

As for throwing off balance, I saw him do it a number of times at Iowa, so again I am not so sure I agree with you on that analysis.

But again, he is still better off than Hoyer, even if the 49ers have to draft Josh Rosen next season.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2zk8ng97 said:

This doesn't feel like an oxymoron to you? Ball placement is the main component of accuracy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, that was kind of a weird way to phrase it.

By accuracy I meant consistently putting the ball in a catchable window. He’s bad at that, and just missses badly a lot.

By ball placement I meant passing a ball within that catchable window in a place that makes the catch easier and allows for the most YAC, or shields the reception from the defender. He’s bad at that too.

By my count he had two or three total passes on Sunday that did both of these things very well. The rest were either throws he shouldn’t have made, throws that he missed, or throws that resulted in catches that were dropped or were more difficult than they needed to be.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Damn!!!!! swing and a miss by me. Wasn’t expecting the Niners to roll over and play dead today.
I hate it when you root for teams you don’t like and then they let you down.
Hoping the Niners roll over and play dead when we play them down there as well.

Latest posts