Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bryron Maxwell released

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Bryron Maxwell released
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:10 am

• Not saying we should go get him or anything. Just putting it out there.
    aredub
    NET Rookie

Re: Bryron Maxwell released
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 am
  • With Shaq an up and comer, I'm not sure we need Maxwell. The LoB is in pretty good shape IMHO.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:21 am
  • We have plenty of depth at CB.

Pass.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 am
  • We should go get him if the price is right. Health is too much of a concern in the NFL to just pass on looking at a guy who played (very well) here that is familiar and wouldn't take long to get up to speed.

Are we forgetting that he was actually good here unlike his other stops? It's obvious he works in our system.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:21 am
  • Absolutely, if we can trade Lane to somebody to free up some salary cap space, sign Maxwell. We are one injury away from having Neiko Thorpe as our starting outside CB. I'd rather have Maxwell for a reasonable deal.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 am
  • Maxwell has only played well when he's been in our system. Not sure if that's a case for or against bringing him back. If it's on the cheap, why not? We could use another body before Shead and Lane are ready to come back. He could be a depth signing in case Griffin/Thorpe go down.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:08 am
  • If we can get him at vet min or BARELY above it, I'm all for it. Absolutely stack the secondary.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:20 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:If we can get him at vet min or BARELY above it, I'm all for it. Absolutely stack the secondary.

He was under contract for $8.5 million this year. That money should be all his. If he were smart he'd want to come here and try to lift his value for free agency once again. I am not sure we'd take him, as we have other needs at the moment, but I wouldn't be opposed to a vet minimum deal for the remainder of this season and then let him walk at the end of this year. I think other teams may be a bit more desperate for his services though.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 am
  • CalgaryHawk wrote:Absolutely, if we can trade Lane to somebody to free up some salary cap space, sign Maxwell. We are one injury away from having Neiko Thorpe as our starting outside CB. I'd rather have Maxwell for a reasonable deal.

This.

I'd only take Maxwell if we could dump Lane and his 2M salary and frequent trips to the inactive list. But my guess is Maxwell is going to float around for a while seeing if he can find a team to pay him more than the vet minimum we'd pay him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 am
  • What? No intricate Rube Goldberg scenarios where Seattle signs Maxwell and somehow comes out with a starting-quality left tackle? You guys are slippin'.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:What? No intricate Rube Goldberg scenarios where Seattle signs Maxwell and somehow comes out with a starting-quality left tackle? You guys are slippin'.

:laugh:

You are in tune with the spirit of the board, man. :2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 pm
  • No thanks, dude was decent, but is one of those CB’s that doesn’t get his head turned quick enough. Our younger CB’s (Shaq and Coleman) already get their heads turned quicker than Maxwell ever did.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:09 pm
  • His final year in Seattle was good. If he can still perform in this system at that level, then why not at least organise a visit/workout with a view to adding depth? The downside is he can't do what he did last time out - at which point you wish him all the best. The rest is upside.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:If we can get him at vet min or BARELY above it, I'm all for it. Absolutely stack the secondary.

Pretty much this. But I highly doubt it though.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 pm
  • The Seahawks will def pursue him if he can come in cheap. From his angle it can make sense to come "home" so to speak to be in a system that is comfortable for him, but more importantly play well to push up his value next off-season.

Shead may not be right, and if they suffer another injury at corner they will be looking pretty thin.

I am just curious to see if he has any value around the league after failing in Philly, and Miami.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 pm

massari
    NET Veteran

Any interest in Maxwell
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm
  • Will the Hawks have any interest in Maxwell now that the Fins cut him. We seem in good shape for DBs if Lane and Shead are getting closer. Thing I'll say about Shead is that he probably will not be the same until next season.
    HawkerD
    NET Starter

Re: Any interest in Maxwell
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 pm
  • If we got rid of Lane and the price was right. Not going to lie, at first when I heard he was available my knee jerk reaction was to go after him. He just hasn't played well since leaving and getting paid.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:29 pm
  • Marcus Burley is also now available. If the Hawks move Lane then Burley could be a possiblet backup at nickle until Shead returns.

Rubin and Demontre Moore are also out there.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 am
  • Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Maxwell being available definitely hurts Lane's trade value. If he's an upgrade over Lane like many of you suggest, why would any team trade for Lane when they can sign Maxwell for less money and give up no draft picks?
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:30 am
  • What if by the end of this week, Lane is traded to Miami for a condition 6th round pick that turns into a 5th if Lane is on the team after the new league year.

What if Byron Maxwell does get signed on as depth, and possibly a big NCB chess piece?

Maxwell might also come in and be asked to help mentor Quil. Maybe Lane hasn't been that guy. Not at least in the same way Sherm has.

Likely though, Maxwell will find a starting opportunity. Lane doesn't get traded.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 am
  • We aren't going to get anything for Lane when people like Maxwell are on the open market.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:30 am
  • Erebus wrote:Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Maxwell being available definitely hurts Lane's trade value. If he's an upgrade over Lane like many of you suggest, why would any team trade for Lane when they can sign Maxwell for less money and give up no draft picks?

From what I've seen on reddit from Dolphins fans, Maxwell started out the season not playing very well and it's thought that he's had some type of nagging injury that forced him to the bench early on (I think the first couple games IIRC). They played rookie Cordrea Tankersley in his place and Tankersley has played well enough to hold onto the starting position since.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:57 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Erebus wrote:Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

From what I've seen on reddit from Dolphins fans, Maxwell started out the season not playing very well and it's thought that he's had some type of nagging injury that forced him to the bench early on (I think the first couple games IIRC). They played rookie Cordrea Tankersley in his place and Tankersley has played well enough to hold onto the starting position since.

Still, you'd think there would be more than that. Under normal circumstances you'd be better off to pay him to be on the bench and release him in the offseason. Either way they still are paying his salary. There's just got to be something that isn't being said publicly.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Erebus wrote:Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Still, you'd think there would be more than that. Under normal circumstances you'd be better off to pay him to be on the bench and release him in the offseason. Either way they still are paying his salary. There's just got to be something that isn't being said publicly.

Agreed it's gotta be more than just on-field performance, so I did a little more digging and here's what I'm seeing from phins fans:

1) He doesn't contribute to special teams at all. So if he's riding the bench he's just a really expensive depth player.
    2) Salary is too high. Cutting him this year will supposedly save them about $10MM next year.
    3) Was virtually a lock to be a cap casualty at the end of the season anyway.
    4) There are reports that he was playing whatever coverage/technique he wanted and not following game plans. Especially frustrating was that he was, reportedly, refusing to play any type of press technique and would line up 5+ yards off the LOS/WR every play.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

Agreed it's gotta be more than just on-field performance, so I did a little more digging and here's what I'm seeing from phins fans:

1) He doesn't contribute to special teams at all. So if he's riding the bench he's just a really expensive depth player.
    2) Salary is too high. Cutting him this year will supposedly save them about $10MM next year.

4) There are reports that he was playing whatever coverage/technique he wanted and not following game plans. Especially frustrating was that he was, reportedly, refusing to play any type of press technique and would line up 5+ yards off the LOS/WR every play.

Numbers 2 and 3 (Highlighted in green) make no sense. Just because he's going to be a cap casualty isn't a reason to cut him when you are going to have to pay him for this season either way. Cutting him at the end of the year is exactly the same as cutting him now, except you have someone who can step in for an injury (should one or more occur).

Number 1 really is kind of meaningless in my opinion because he's the same price on the bench as on the market.

The only one that makes any sense (if it's real) is number 4. If he's causing issues within the team dynamic that could be reason enough, even if it is merely to make a point to the rest of the team.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:12 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

Numbers 2 and 3 (Highlighted in green) make no sense. Just because he's going to be a cap casualty isn't a reason to cut him when you are going to have to pay him for this season either way. Cutting him at the end of the year is exactly the same as cutting him now, except you have someone who can step in for an injury (should one or more occur).

Number 1 really is kind of meaningless in my opinion because he's the same price on the bench as on the market.

The only one that makes any sense (if it's real) is number 4. If he's causing issues within the team dynamic that could be reason enough, even if it is merely to make a point to the rest of the team.

It's similar to the Lane situation where cutting him this year would transfer some of his dead money (I think from signing bonus) to this year and thus creates a little more relief next year? I'm not 100% sure of the cap implications, though, so I'm just kinda regurgitating what I've read.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    It's similar to the Lane situation where cutting him this year would transfer some of his dead money (I think from signing bonus) to this year and thus creates a little more relief next year? I'm not 100% sure of the cap implications, though, so I'm just kinda regurgitating what I've read.

Maxwell was traded from the Eagles to the Dolphins. The Eagles already ate the signing bonus. The dolphins were only on the hook for his salary. As soon as he made the active roster, they owed him $8.5 million this year whether he played or was on the bench or on the street. There's no money to shuffle. They took the hit for his current years salary when they cut him. They save nothing over waiting to cut him at the end of the year. If anything, they have to pay out a little more to fill the roster out with another body. This move had nothing to do with money. That's the only thing I'm sure of.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:50 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

Maxwell was traded from the Eagles to the Dolphins. The Eagles already ate the signing bonus. The dolphins were only on the hook for his salary. As soon as he made the active roster, they owed him $8.5 million this year whether he played or was on the bench or on the street. There's no money to shuffle. They took the hit for his current years salary when they cut him. They save nothing over waiting to cut him at the end of the year. If anything, they have to pay out a little more to fill the roster out with another body. This move had nothing to do with money. That's the only thing I'm sure of.

Good info :2thumbs:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 pm
  • Erebus wrote:Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Byron Maxwell in the doghouse for good reason but not the one you think:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... 52871.html

Rotoworld:
    Maxwell has not been active since Week 3 in part because of a hamstring injury but mostly because he fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Despite a disappointing start to the year, Maxwell should find another team quickly. The Dolphins will move forward with Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley at corner.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm
  • Maxwell > Lane and they already know he can play well in the Seahawks scheme. FO could trade Lane and then bring in Maxwell.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Maxwell > Lane and they already know he can play well in the Seahawks scheme. FO could trade Lane and then bring in Maxwell.

If your first statement is true than logic dictates your last statement to be false because if Maxwell is better than Lane another team could pick him up for less money and no draft capital

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:12 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Maxwell > Lane and they already know he can play well in the Seahawks scheme. FO could trade Lane and then bring in Maxwell.

If your first statement is true than logic dictates your last statement to be false because if Maxwell is better than Lane another team could pick him up for less money and no draft capital

Not necessarily. Lane has only been in the Seahawk system so there's no guarantee he would fair better than Maxwell on a different team. Whether Maxwell gets signed by another team doesn't impact if he's better than Lane or not. Do other systems run the same defensive scheme the Seahawks do? Maxwell has played in the Seahawk scheme and was the starting CB for the superbowl winning team.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:35 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Maxwell > Lane and they already know he can play well in the Seahawks scheme. FO could trade Lane and then bring in Maxwell.

Not necessarily. Lane has only been in the Seahawk system so there's no guarantee he would fair better than Maxwell on a different team. Whether Maxwell gets signed by another team doesn't impact if he's better than Lane or not. Do other systems run the same defensive scheme the Seahawks do? Maxwell has played in the Seahawk scheme and was the starting CB for the superbowl winning team.

If you comare Maxwell and Lane in the Seahawks system, Maxwell was the far better CB. Maxwell was overpaid for sure when the Eagles signed him, but his play last year in Miami was solid. He's already getting his full $8.5 million from the dolphins, so he doesn't need to sign a contract worth much to get through the season, so he'll come cheaper than the $2.5 million Lane will cost someone plus he doesn't have 2 years and $12 million left n a deal like Lane does. Right now, anyone looking for a corner would be wise to offer Maxwell a minimum contract and decide on a possible extension offer after he's played there. Once Maxwell is signed somewhere, then Lane becomes a more attractive offer, but until then, why give up a draft pick for a guy who is probably not going to be better than a guy you can get for no draft picks?

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

If you comare Maxwell and Lane in the Seahawks system, Maxwell was the far better CB. Maxwell was overpaid for sure when the Eagles signed him, but his play last year in Miami was solid. He's already getting his full $8.5 million from the dolphins, so he doesn't need to sign a contract worth much to get through the season, so he'll come cheaper than the $2.5 million Lane will cost someone plus he doesn't have 2 years and $12 million left n a deal like Lane does. Right now, anyone looking for a corner would be wise to offer Maxwell a minimum contract and decide on a possible extension offer after he's played there. Once Maxwell is signed somewhere, then Lane becomes a more attractive offer, but until then, why give up a draft pick for a guy who is probably not going to be better than a guy you can get for no draft picks?

Ok. I understand your point better now. That makes sense.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am
  • One thing I remember liking about him is that he could play well either inside or outside, which really helps the versatility of a defense.
    purpleneer
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:06 pm
  • Trade Lane for a conditional 7th and bring in Maxi.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:54 am
  • Has he signed anywhere yet?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information