Bryron Maxwell released

aredub

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/922830377756086272[/tweet]

Not saying we should go get him or anything. Just putting it out there.

sutz

Reaction score
With Shaq an up and comer, I'm not sure we need Maxwell. The LoB is in pretty good shape IMHO.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
We should go get him if the price is right. Health is too much of a concern in the NFL to just pass on looking at a guy who played (very well) here that is familiar and wouldn't take long to get up to speed.

Are we forgetting that he was actually good here unlike his other stops? It's obvious he works in our system.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, if we can trade Lane to somebody to free up some salary cap space, sign Maxwell. We are one injury away from having Neiko Thorpe as our starting outside CB. I'd rather have Maxwell for a reasonable deal.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Maxwell has only played well when he's been in our system. Not sure if that's a case for or against bringing him back. If it's on the cheap, why not? We could use another body before Shead and Lane are ready to come back. He could be a depth signing in case Griffin/Thorpe go down.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If we can get him at vet min or BARELY above it, I'm all for it. Absolutely stack the secondary.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":m9xcyhpf said:
If we can get him at vet min or BARELY above it, I'm all for it. Absolutely stack the secondary.

He was under contract for $8.5 million this year. That money should be all his. If he were smart he'd want to come here and try to lift his value for free agency once again. I am not sure we'd take him, as we have other needs at the moment, but I wouldn't be opposed to a vet minimum deal for the remainder of this season and then let him walk at the end of this year. I think other teams may be a bit more desperate for his services though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":23sugodc said:
Absolutely, if we can trade Lane to somebody to free up some salary cap space, sign Maxwell. We are one injury away from having Neiko Thorpe as our starting outside CB. I'd rather have Maxwell for a reasonable deal.

This.

I'd only take Maxwell if we could dump Lane and his 2M salary and frequent trips to the inactive list. But my guess is Maxwell is going to float around for a while seeing if he can find a team to pay him more than the vet minimum we'd pay him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
What? No intricate Rube Goldberg scenarios where Seattle signs Maxwell and somehow comes out with a starting-quality left tackle? You guys are slippin'.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3iv8mloh said:
What? No intricate Rube Goldberg scenarios where Seattle signs Maxwell and somehow comes out with a starting-quality left tackle? You guys are slippin'.
:laugh:

You are in tune with the spirit of the board, man. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
No thanks, dude was decent, but is one of those CB’s that doesn’t get his head turned quick enough. Our younger CB’s (Shaq and Coleman) already get their heads turned quicker than Maxwell ever did.

uncle fester

Reaction score
His final year in Seattle was good. If he can still perform in this system at that level, then why not at least organise a visit/workout with a view to adding depth? The downside is he can't do what he did last time out - at which point you wish him all the best. The rest is upside.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1cp7j15p said:
Pretty much this. But I highly doubt it though.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks will def pursue him if he can come in cheap. From his angle it can make sense to come "home" so to speak to be in a system that is comfortable for him, but more importantly play well to push up his value next off-season.

Shead may not be right, and if they suffer another injury at corner they will be looking pretty thin.

I am just curious to see if he has any value around the league after failing in Philly, and Miami.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Will the Hawks have any interest in Maxwell now that the Fins cut him. We seem in good shape for DBs if Lane and Shead are getting closer. Thing I'll say about Shead is that he probably will not be the same until next season.

razor150

Reaction score
If we got rid of Lane and the price was right. Not going to lie, at first when I heard he was available my knee jerk reaction was to go after him. He just hasn't played well since leaving and getting paid.

Seafan

Reaction score
Marcus Burley is also now available. If the Hawks move Lane then Burley could be a possiblet backup at nickle until Shead returns.

Rubin and Demontre Moore are also out there.

Erebus

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Maxwell being available definitely hurts Lane's trade value. If he's an upgrade over Lane like many of you suggest, why would any team trade for Lane when they can sign Maxwell for less money and give up no draft picks?