Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Niners Give Patriots 2nd Rd for Garoppolo

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Pats trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:30 pm

• Feel like they could have gotten at least a first round pick last year, surprised they pulled the trigger now.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Pretty cheap, but they will have to pay him soon. Very few games left to evaluate for that kind of munz.

Good move for the 9ers though, I think.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Pretty cheap, but they will have to pay him soon. Very few games left to evaluate for that kind of munz.

Good move for the 9ers though, I think.

Agreed, small window of opportunity but he looked good when he got to play. Learning from Brady doesn't hurt either.
    Seems like his strengths fit Kyle Shanahan's offense pretty well, wonder how quickly he will start.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• So now Tom Brady's backup is ... nobody. Seriously, there isn't another QB on the roster.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Wow! Patriots traded both of their backup QBs from last year. They are betting on Brady's immortality.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:So now Tom Brady's backup is ... nobody. Seriously, there isn't another QB on the roster.

They can sign T-Jack...you know the greatest backup QB to don a uniform. :sarcasm_off:
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Pretty much a late first round pick.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    They can sign T-Jack...you know the greatest backup QB to don a uniform. :sarcasm_off:

If they do they'll never lose another coin flip!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• This seems really strange they didn't include him in a trade. :229031_confused2:

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:This seems really strange they didn't include him in a trade. :229031_confused2:

Wouldn’t they inherit salary if included in a trade? Can probably get him for minimum on the open market, he is poop.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:So now Tom Brady's backup is ... nobody. Seriously, there isn't another QB on the roster.

Hey, hey, hey.... he's an all-pro coin flip caller. :P
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

"VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Probably a good move for both teams.
    Low risk for the Niners that had 2 second rounders.
    If Garop is crap not a whole lot lost, as the ever underachieving Cousins will still be out there in FA and they have tons of cap room.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• When I originally heard about the trade it was reported that boyer was originally part of the deal but there were compensation issues. They didn't elaborate on what issues or which team was affected

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Sports Hernia wrote:Probably a good move for both teams.
    If Garop is crap not a whole lot lost, as the ever underachieving Cousins will still be out there in FA and they have tons of cap room.

I usually try to not make projections but I think this kid starts after the bye week. He instantly becomes the best QB in SF (SC) since Alex Smith. I know that’s not saying a lot but it’s progress. Lol
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Based on what I saw of his college tape, he should have been an early first round pick. Based on what he did in relief of Brady, I am confident that that estimation was accurate. This is a great move for the 49ers. As for the Patriots, they had little choice.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Looks like Kirk Cousins is staying in DC.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:Looks like Kirk Cousins is staying in DC.

Browns will give him 30 mill a year
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Going to the 49ers normally would make me think he would auto-fail, them being the Cleveland Browns west in all.

But...Kyle Shanahan is an amazing offensive mind so Garoppolo will probably be good.

Value wise it is a no brainer. They can test the waters this season with him, if still unsure about him, franchise him, then get another year to evaluate him. If he flounders no big deal. The Niners still would then have high 1st round picks in 2018 & 2019 to get a franchise QB.

I give the 49ers an A+ for this trade. Low risk, with extremely high reward potential.

The opposite of the Sam Bradford trade that was made last year that people were praising. Which of course was high risk, low reward, and they had to burn a 1st rounder for Sam freaking Bradford.

The Patriots get a C because all they did was tread water value wise. They spent a 2nd rounder to draft and develop a guy, only to get a... 2nd rounder? The point is to flip the guy for lots of picks, or to develop him to become the next franchise guy. The Patriots accomplished neither. This also makes them potentially vulnerable in the not to distant future with Brady being 40 years old.

They could have structured Garoppolo's contract creatively to keep him on board, but they are all in on 40 yr old Brady it seems.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Good move for the 49ers.
    b8rtm8nn
    NET Rookie

• SeatownJay wrote:So now Tom Brady's backup is ... nobody. Seriously, there isn't another QB on the roster.

They will probably pick up whoever the 9ers cut.

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Or the guy that was on the Colts they had before when Luck comes back................... :icon_jig:

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'm not as high on Garoppolo as many here. Being inserted temporarily into the well-oiled machine that is the New England Patriots and becoming the starter for the current San Francisco 49ers...two very different things.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'm not as high on Garopolo either. Could do well, but I don't see it... yet. And a second rounder is pretty high, even for the 49ers, even if it is an important position. They could have drafted a quarterback with that pick and had the same risk as they do with Garopolo.

That said, if Brady goes down, the Patriots are screwed. Or Kaep suddenly finds gainful employment... 8)
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• November 26th suddenly becomes interesting again....
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• Well Richardson, Freeney Bennett, Clark all love a good statue to do Sack Drills on.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• NINEster wrote:November 26th suddenly becomes interesting again....

Uhhh didn't Joe Staley just suffer an orbital fracture? Has Trent Brown recovered from his concussion? Isn't Foster hurt again? Your team is talent deprived and injured. It's honestly really bad luck for Shanahan and the fans IMO. Garoppolo is gonna have a tough time with that supporting cast, though he should be worlds better than Hoyer and Beathard.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Image

It is the 49ers though.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:November 26th suddenly becomes interesting again....

You have a weird definition of interesting. 3-0 in the Jeanhole.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Looks like Kirk Cousins is staying in DC.

Browns will give him 30 mill a year

If Jacksonville is smart, then they won't let Cousins leave when he visits during free agency.

Cousins to Jax would have to make them an AFC favorite next season.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Maulbert wrote:3-0 in the Jeanhole.

I don't even know what this means but I laughed.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:3-0 in the Jeanhole.

I don't even know what this means but I laughed.

The Jeanhole is the nickname Drew Magary from Deadspin gave Levi's Stadium in his Why Your Team Sucks article series. It gained some traction.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• nanomoz wrote:Over\under on him being better than Matt Cassell?

The only thing they have in common is they both backed up Brady. This narrative is idiotic. I guess Brett Favre sucked because he backed up Chris Miller but so did Billy Joe Tolliver...
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

It's amazing to me that instead of watching tape, including college tape, people just come to the conclusion that Garoppolo will suck because some guy who threw to Randy Moss and Wes Welker in their primes only went to one pro bowl outside of New England. As if there is the slightest causal connection between the two players, and as if actual film doesn't matter at all.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• whats the status of Staley? without him gropahoe or whatever is going to be just as bad as their prior qb
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• To be fair, Garoppolo has thrown something like 94 passes in regular season NFL action. So we can't really say he's good or bad close to definitively yet. I think we can predict that he won't look as good as he did in limited action for NE due to the supporting cast being much worse in SF, at least initially.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:Over\under on him being better than Matt Cassell?

The only thing they have in common is they both backed up Brady. This narrative is idiotic. I guess Brett Favre sucked because he backed up Chris Miller but so did Billy Joe Tolliver...

Idiotic? Grap has barely played in this league, so it is a legit question. Don't get "Niners smug" on us just yet!
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

It's amazing to me that instead of watching tape, including college tape, people just come to the conclusion that Garoppolo will suck because some guy who threw to Randy Moss and Wes Welker in their primes only went to one pro bowl outside of New England. As if there is the slightest causal connection between the two players, and as if actual film doesn't matter at all.

GM's and coaches watched tape on Matt Cassel didn't they? Didn't they watch tape on Jacoby Brissett? He's about the go down as the losingest Colts QB of all time.

Ryan Mallet? Bryan Hoyer? You already know how much he stinks.

So yeah, I got some bad news for you Rings, out of all the franchises in the league, the Patriots are a SYSTEM franchise. As in without Belicheat and Brady, they draft and acquire average players and plug them into the greatest system of schemes, formations and playcalling in the history of the NFL.

So..............I wouldn't pin my hopes on yet another Patriot backup coming in to SF and doing anything other than do what Patriot backup QB's do once they leave, stink.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• No longer all alone in New England's quarterback room, Tom Brady is reuniting with an old friend.

Former 49ers signal-caller Brian Hoyer signed with the New England Patriots on Wednesday, the team announced. It's a three-year deal with the team, a source informed of the contract told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. The move brings the journeyman back to the franchise he first played for from 2009 to 2011.

Hoyer was cut by the Niners after San Francisco acquired Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots on Monday in exchange for a 2018 second-round pick. That swap was originally scheduled to send Hoyer to New England, but he was yanked from the deal due to compensatory pick issues, Rapoport was told.

The Patriots weren't the only ones interested in Hoyer -- the Green Bay Packers also were interested in potentially signing him, according to Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m=referral
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Now that's amusing.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Trenchbroom wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:Over\under on him being better than Matt Cassell?

Idiotic? Grap has barely played in this league, so it is a legit question. Don't get "Niners smug" on us just yet!

I am attacking the logic itself, which is poor.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:It's amazing to me after all the coordinator and players, especially QB's that have left NE and failed miserably, that the rest of the league still has beer goggles for their players and coaches.

GM's and coaches watched tape on Matt Cassel didn't they? Didn't they watch tape on Jacoby Brissett? He's about the go down as the losingest Colts QB of all time.

Ryan Mallet? Bryan Hoyer? You already know how much he stinks.

So yeah, I got some bad news for you Rings, out of all the franchises in the league, the Patriots are a SYSTEM franchise. As in without Belicheat and Brady, they draft and acquire average players and plug them into the greatest system of schemes, formations and playcalling in the history of the NFL.

So..............I wouldn't pin my hopes on yet another Patriot backup coming in to SF and doing anything other than do what Patriot backup QB's do once they leave, stink.

You really believe that? Lol. Way to totally ignore the specific details.

So Seymour, who went to two Pro Bowls after NE, did he suck?

Asante Samuel, who went to three Pro bowls, did he suck?

Now let's look at the qbs. Only ONE actually ever had any significant playing time, so your argument is based on a sample size of ONE.

But DID he drop off of a cliff after leaving New England? HIS BEST SEASON OF HIS CAREER WAS IN KANSAS CITY, not New England. More, his New England passer rating in 2008 was only 89.4... and that is throwing to Moss and Welker in their prime.

Your argument is completely contradicted by the facts. Not only was Cassell NOT GOOD in New England, he actually GOT BETTER for a bit in Kansas City, in terms of statistical output.

Mallet? Hoyer? How many games did they play? You have a sample size of ONE dude, and that data point contradicts your argument.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Basically you're just regurgitating a popular narrative which adds to the mystique of Belichick, when in reality Cassell was mediocre at best in 2008 despite having all time great weapons around him.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Yeah and Cassel has been a train wreck since. One good season in KC and a couple decent ones and after he left he was horrific in Dallas and painful to watch in TEN.

If that's your Garoppolo comparison then the future looks bleak. I'm sure Jimmy G is much better, but again, fewer than 100 pass attempts in meaningful action so we don't know.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:Probably a good move for both teams.

this

Can't dispute that Garoppolo looked good in TWO games that he started, but that's TWO games and before DCs studied him, game planned against him. In those two games, he also had good surround cast, very good OC, and in an fantastic system.

9ers should play him as soon as possible and as much as possible. Let's see how he can make players around him better, how he elevate the results. Dump him he ain't any better than Hoyer and go sign Cousin or draft a QB.

Garoppolo is real cocky and may be over confident in not demanding a long term deal now.
    toffee
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information