Andrew Luck to IR

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
It just broke on NFL.com. chalk up another year when Luck doesn't see the field due to injury. I said it before, I don't see the mythical appeal pundits often associate with him as being a Top 10 QB or whatever. His tenure in Indy has been marred with injuries and occasional above average play.

Does Indy start thinking of getting a new QB in the next draft or two? Or just hopes that Mr. Glass can return someday?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm sure Luck will be fine by the start of next year, but he's definitely shown himself to be far less reliable and statistically inferior to Wilson.

Career Stats

Wilson | 64.6% completion percentage | 20,201 yards | 142 TD | 49 INT | 99.7 Rating

Luck | 59.2% completion percentage | 19,078 yards | 132 TD | 68 INT | 87.3 Rating

Russell Wilson's passer rating has been higher every year but 2 than Luck's Highest rating.

Russell Wilson has been rated over 100 in a season 4 times (including this year) | Luck has never even broken a 97 rating

Wilson's best year rating 110.1 while Luck's is 96.5

I do remember people vocally wishing we'd "Suck for Luck" that year. I wonder how they are feeling about that now

kobebryant

Reaction score
It's an absolute shame what guys like Grigson and Shanahan did to the careers of Luck and RG3.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kobebryant":31of872q said:
It's an absolute shame what guys like Grigson and Shanahan did to the careers of Luck and RG3.

Overall I agree, but the players themselves need to take some responsibility for what happened to them because they didn't protect themselves. Nobody was putting a gun to their heads and telling them to play. I get the whole being a tough guy and playing through pain and all, but the players deserve to be held accountable.

RG3 didn't protect himself running the ball and staying out when his knee was already seriously injured. Luck reportedly played over a year with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder plus various rib and abdominal injuries.

kobebryant

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2i0uzfi3 said:
kobebryant":2i0uzfi3 said:

Overall I agree, but the players themselves need to take some responsibility for what happened to them because they didn't protect themselves. Nobody was putting a gun to their heads and telling them to play. I get the whole being a tough guy and playing through pain and all, but the players deserve to be held accountable.

RG3 didn't protect himself running the ball and staying out when his knee was already seriously injured. Luck reportedly played over a year with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder plus various rib and abdominal injuries.

You're right. But tapping out to protect yourself is the antithesis of what people want in their franchise QBs, even if it is for the long-term good of the player and the franchise. I think this is where it is incumbent upon the Head Coach to take the decisions out of the players hands and make it clear to everyone that it was the coaches decision, and not the players.

Specifically to RG3, I don't blame him for pushing to take the field, and what a garbage field it was (cost Crish Clemons his ACL) for that playoff game against the Hawks; but Shanahan should have known how bad the knee was and told him 'no'. How that organization could have invested so much draft and marketing capital to go get RG3 and not invest in a fast fieldturf track for their track star QB to play on, instead having him run around in that muck, is beyond me.

In the case of Luck, Grigson put such a terrible team around him that Luck end up shouldering so much. With a terrible oline and without the individual escapability and self-preservation skills of Russell Wilson, disaster was bound to strike. I think Luck does have more responsibility than RG3 for his career trajectory. Really could have protected himself better.

With Luck, given his varying interests and high intelligence I have to wonder how much longer he'll want to do this. Eventually, it has to become a Ricky Watters, "For who? For What?" situation.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Poor Andrew, his drunk owner has screwed his life over.

Luck's dad should have pulled a Manning and refused to let his son play for the Dolts.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
They should really consider trading him next year. If some other team still has rose colored glasses (never know), that might help them build it the right way.

chris98251

Reaction score
So Wilson should have taken himself out of games last year with his ankle, knee and torn Pectoral because we had a shitty O line from what I am getting from JGfromtheNW.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kobebryant":2pt6d0fk said:

yet RW has been pounded and hit more than them and played hurt.

evergreen

Reaction score
Remember Russell played hurt all last year. Thank goodness he's recovered.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
kidhawk":1s8y142w said:
I'm sure Luck will be fine by the start of next year, but he's definitely shown himself to be far less reliable and statistically inferior to Wilson.

Career Stats

Wilson | 64.6% completion percentage | 20,201 yards | 142 TD | 49 INT | 99.7 Rating

Luck | 59.2% completion percentage | 19,078 yards | 132 TD | 68 INT | 87.3 Rating

Russell Wilson's passer rating has been higher every year but 2 than Luck's Highest rating.

Russell Wilson has been rated over 100 in a season 4 times (including this year) | Luck has never even broken a 97 rating

I do remember people vocally wishing we'd "Suck for Luck" that year. I wonder how they are feeling about that now

Let me preface this by saying, 2 weeks after SB48 my 2nd child, Oliver Wilson was born, so you should know how I feel about Wilson.

I was one of the people who wanted to suck for luck. While I think Russ is going to go down as the greatest Seahawk of all time, I think Luck would have been successful here. He would not have had an incompetent GM or a terrible coach. I also don't think JS would have gone the cheapo OL route without a mobile QB like Russ. Would Luck have been as successful as Wilson? There's no way to know. I have been a vocal supporter of the idea that actual on field performance, Wilson has been the better QB. I do strongly believe though, that Pete would have a slightly different game plan with Luck and it would also probably be successful.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CaptAndrewLuck/status/926145567591317504[/tweet]

themunn

Reaction score
chris98251":sa2v1oj3 said:
So Wilson should have taken himself out of games last year with his ankle, knee and torn Pectoral because we had a shitty O line from what I am getting from JGfromtheNW.

There were a lot of people last year who thought he should do exactly that

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
chris98251":1f81zevw said:

There was a large portion of this board that wanted RW to sit out, heal and get right for the end of the season. If he had sustained another big injury, or the injuries he had got way worse and he was still recovering THIS season, it would reflect terribly on our coaches and RW for not protecting our franchise's biggest investment, would it not?

chris98251

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":12r8uvqc said:
chris98251":12r8uvqc said:

There was a large portion of this board that wanted RW to sit out, heal and get right for the end of the season. If he had sustained another big injury, or the injuries he had got way worse and he was still recovering THIS season, it would reflect terribly on our coaches and RW for not protecting our franchise's biggest investment, would it not?

I can take my car on the highway and if someone dings it do I park it till it gets fixed? How do I get to work?

They are pretty cautious with players here, if they feel they can't go they will sit them, Thomas is a good example this year, Lynch being another where he would not get pushed during the week so he could play on Sundays as well. Things that may cause many here to take L & I leave are just a hiccup for these players.

It's when the players don't come clean on how hurt they are that things get messy.

I think the biggest aspect of Wilson playing was that Boykin was our back up, and Pete hates the potential for turnovers.

kidhawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3gr5sjf0 said:
kidhawk":3gr5sjf0 said:

Career Stats

Let me preface this by saying, 2 weeks after SB48 my 2nd child, Oliver Wilson was born, so you should know how I feel about Wilson.

I was one of the people who wanted to suck for luck. While I think Russ is going to go down as the greatest Seahawk of all time, I think Luck would have been successful here. He would not have had an incompetent GM or a terrible coach. I also don't think JS would have gone the cheapo OL route without a mobile QB like Russ. Would Luck have been as successful as Wilson? There's no way to know. I have been a vocal supporter of the idea that actual on field performance, Wilson has been the better QB. I do strongly believe though, that Pete would have a slightly different game plan with Luck and it would also probably be successful.

I'm not saying Luck isn't a talented quarterback, my point is that we didn't have to spend an entire season in misery to get a franchise quarterback. Anything can happen in the NFL. Highly regarded quarterbacks who get drafted early don't always do well, and later picks who everyone passed over multiple times can turn into gold. There are just too many factors, and as a fan, I enjoy the wins my team brings even in seasons that don't bring us the playoffs or a super bowl.

If we ended up getting a first pick in the draft, yes I'd have taken Luck. I'd be a fool to say I'd have taken Wilson or anyone else with that pick, but luckily, we were able to pull out 7 wins and still get our franchise quarterback in that draft. Would have been nicer had we got more wins, but with T-Jack and clipboard jesus at the helm, it wasn't going to happen.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think this is more about the state of the Colts than Luck.

Even if he came back and was awesome, they would end up 7-9 best case. No reason to play him this year, at all. Get a high draft pick, trade it like the Rams did for a good haul and build a foundation of talent that can grow with Luck.

Also, fire Pagano.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3drinlyb said:

Even if he came back and was awesome, they would end up 7-9 best case. No reason to play him this year, at all. Get a high draft pick, trade it like the Rams did for a good haul and build a foundation of talent that can grow with Luck.

Also, fire Pagano.

But he got executive of the year for drafting Luck :)

Ramfan128

Reaction score
chris98251":3rlo7z4t said:
Ramfan128":3rlo7z4t said:

Also, fire Pagano.

But he got executive of the year for drafting Luck :)

Nah. He got executive of the year for trading for Vontae Davis, drafting Luck, drafting Hilton, and the Colts going from the worst team in the NFL to an 11 win team in one year.