Luck career over?

kobebryant

Reaction score
How the Colts managed to mess this up will never cease to amaze me.

Just another example of why I hate the idea of drafts. It is anti-capitalism, and therefore un-American, to force the best prospective employees coming out of college to go to the worst employers. Sorry, MIT valedictorian, Alta Vista needs you more than Google does.

Osprey

Reaction score
kobebryant":3gbxvnf4 said:

Just another example of why I hate the idea of drafts. It is anti-capitalism, and therefore un-American, to force the best prospective employees coming out of college to go to the worst employers. Sorry, MIT valedictorian, Alta Vista needs you more than Google does.
The Capitalism analogy doesn't hold considering the NFL is really a cooperative with revenue sharing. That's not to say it wouldn't be interesting to see what a draft-free system would look like. Would the Draft be replaced by a Recruiting Season and National Signing Day?

The current argument is that without competitive balance provided by a player allocation system you'd have a few super teams and parity is out the window. Even if that were true, not sure it would hurt popularity / revenue. The NBA is dominated by two teams and stills seems to be going strong.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I agree with the Colts owner on this one..100%
I already posted my thoughts on this subject in another thread.Luck is weak and a bust.
The Colts really sucked for taking Luck in the first place.

JimmyG

Reaction score
I don't really put a lot of stock into the idea that his career might over. It seems like we always get sensationalized "possibilities" thrown out there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kobebryant":1fggaxgk said:
Sorry, MIT valedictorian, Alta Vista needs you more than Google does.
This made me laugh; but this league would be so stupidly boring to watch for most games if there was no draft the way it is now, which plays a large role in achieving a good amount of parity.

chris98251

Reaction score
kobebryant":2j69ogw7 said:

Yeah you can tell that to all those that served our country which is the United States of America that were drafted into the military.

Total farce that all those people were forced to fight for their country so that you could spew how un-American the NFL, NBA, MLB,NHL,WNBA, and countless other sports are all un American.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2oua0aw0 said:
kobebryant":2oua0aw0 said:
This made me laugh; but this league would be so stupidly boring to watch for most games if there was no draft the way it is now, which plays a large role in achieving a good amount of parity.

I do think a snake draft/reverse order rounds 2, 4, and 6 would be the perfect compromise. The worst teams and/or tankers still get the top picks, competitive balance is kept, but less punishment for winning.

kobebryant

Reaction score
chris98251":28jnny5m said:
kobebryant":28jnny5m said:

Yeah you can tell that to all those that served our country which is the United States of America that were drafted into the military.

Total farce that all those people were forced to fight for their country so that you could spew how un-American the NFL, NBA, MLB,NHL,WNBA, and countless other sports are all un American.

I love the sacrifices the those who have served have made for us so that we can live in a free society that appreciates the values of the free market. I just find the employee allocation system used by North American professional sports, and a cap on what someone can earn to be the antithesis of those free market values that we have. NFL owners love the free market and capitalism except for when it comes to their own labor force. I also believe that an 18 year old basketball or football player in the United States should be free to earn an income off of those skills just as an 18 year old skilled in acting, music, carpentry, art or mechanics would be.

I guess I just don't like that at some point over the next couple of years that the best collegiate quarterback prospect is going to have to work and live in Cleveland without any say in the matter.

-sorry to veer so off topic. It just always bugged me that a prospective employee as highly regarded as Andrew Luck was was inevitably going to work for either Jim Irsay or Dan Snyder.

chris98251

Reaction score
So would you rather have a wheel of fortune with 32 teams on it that spins every round? if you allowed every player to play the free market most would be in Florida or someplace and teams in Buffalo, Seattle, Minnesota would be looking at the 7th round picks and UDFA currently to fill their rosters due to the locations.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":3kyhjbu0 said:
So would you rather have a wheel of fortune with 32 teams on it that spins every round? if you allowed every player to play the free market most would be in Florida or someplace and teams in Buffalo, Seattle, Minnesota would be looking at the 7th round picks and UDFA currently to fill their rosters due to the locations.
A wheel of fortune draft would possibly force me to stop watching the NFL. Yuck!

Maulbert

Reaction score
ctrcat":3e0b2ldp said:
RolandDeschain":3e0b2ldp said:
kobebryant":3e0b2ldp said:

I do think a snake draft/reverse order rounds 2, 4, and 6 would be the perfect compromise. The worst teams and/or tankers still get the top picks, competitive balance is kept, but less punishment for winning.

I agree. Plus, it would balance draft capital for more interesting trades.

Josea16

Reaction score
IndyHawk":jpsy33iq said:
I agree with the Colts owner on this one..100%
I already posted my thoughts on this subject in another thread.Luck is weak and a bust.
The Colts really sucked for taking Luck in the first place.
I know you see him on a regular basis but that seems a bit harsh. I would say Indianapolis screwed the pooch on team building. Russell Wilson is the only quarterback currently playing that can not only survive but perform at an elite level behind a terrible offensive line.

Josea16

Reaction score
ctrcat":3lqfmpl3 said:
RolandDeschain":3lqfmpl3 said:
kobebryant":3lqfmpl3 said:

I really like this idea.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
el capitan":1apboist said:
Shoulda drafted RGIII

I wonder how good of an offer they got in trade for Luck or 1st round pick rather but prob would of been Luck. We saw what the Rams got for the 2nd pick