Espn article on playcallers from all 32 team

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't know how they put them up in "head to head" and rank them, but even at #12, that is not championship caliber coaching when 11 other teams have an advantage before they ever take the field.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If you follow actual analysts, you'll find Bevell's scheming is pretty competent. He's also cleaned up his worst tendencies (too many bubble screens, chucking deep on 3rd and short).

The conclusion I'm coming to, however, is that Wilson needs more than competent. He needs an innovator, and Bevell is not that.

Own The West

Reaction score
Strange article.

Ranks Sarkisian #6 and then blames him for ATL's drop from 1st to 15th ranked offense. The guy he replaced that had the #1 offense is ranked 31st because he's coaching the 49'ers.

Sean McVay is called a miracle worker at #8, just behind Todd Downing's 22nd ranked offense that was 6th before he took the helm.

They got Bevell right though: fans hate him even though he's had 3 of the 5 top Seahawk offenses of all time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Just so you guys are clear, the commentary on each item is opinion but the ranking order of the list is not. The ranking is just in order of statistical offensive efficiency as calculated by ESPN. Typical nonsense to generate a story.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2l1fwtjb said:
If you follow actual analysts, you'll find Bevell's scheming is pretty competent. He's also cleaned up his worst tendencies (too many bubble screens, chucking deep on 3rd and short).

The conclusion I'm coming to, however, is that Wilson needs more than competent. He needs an innovator, and Bevell is not that.
The Field Gulls article that pointed out the fact that we regularly invite (literally, invite) pressure through scheming be damned?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The metrics they must have NOT used.... Gameplanning, play calling, early in game adjustments if DB is at any other spot than #32. He fails weekly at all of those.

This article is a joke. Seems like an article that cherry picked the metrics to fit a predetermined conclusion.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Own The West":3rrdae2a said:
Strange article.

Ranks Sarkisian #6 and then blames him for ATL's drop from 1st to 15th ranked offense. The guy he replaced that had the #1 offense is ranked 31st because he's coaching the 49'ers.

Sean McVay is called a miracle worker at #8, just behind Todd Downing's 22nd ranked offense that was 6th before he took the helm.

They got Bevell right though: fans hate him even though he's had 3 of the 5 top Seahawk offenses of all time.
Disagree. They got it wrong. The 3 out of 5 top offenses that you claim are despite DB not because of him. The guy is garbage as an OC. If he was so great as you claim, why isn’t he a head coach (which is his stated goal) somewhere? He’s had a ton of interviews over the past few years and not gotten one HC job. Why is that???

adeltaY

Reaction score
The fact that they put Shanahan at #31 when him leaving Atlanta with almost the exact same personnel resulted in them falling from being on of the greatest offenses ever to one that is considerably worse, although still really good, is evidence that this list is bollocks.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Offense needs to adapt to evolving defenses. Offensive stats this year look pretty good but when you watch the games you know that isn't reflective of what's happening, they're all chunk plays outside the Texans game. Far too many three and outs, little to no rhythm, inability to close out games. I think half of the TDs this year are in the fourth quarter, which is great to show they don't quit but also bad that the team can't do anything for 2/3 of the game. Would love some younger, innovative coaches to get a chance with the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":2f1ork3i said:
The fact that they put Shanahan at #31 when him leaving Atlanta with almost the exact same personnel resulted in them falling from being on of the greatest offenses ever to one that is considerably worse, although still really good, is evidence that this list is bollocks.

Imagine that, having an MVP caliber QB, a good O-line, a HOF WR in his prime and two great RB's makes you a good playcaller.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28f93fsm said:
Imagine that, having an MVP caliber QB, a good O-line, a HOF WR in his prime and two great RB's makes you a good playcaller.
Kinda blowin' smoke up the ass of the Falcons, don't you think? Great running backs do it year in and year out. That's what makes them great.

Also, while Ryan is a pretty good QB, I wouldn't rank him elite. Yes, he won the MVP...now the same team w/o their offensive coordinator looks like...what, this year?

The 2016 Falcons were absolutely NOT a case of the players making the offensive coordinator look good.

NINEster

Reaction score
Own The West":218txr4g said:
Strange article.

Agree, ranking Shanahan at 31st because his team can't win is comical. Our Niner film guys tell me they're seeing a lot of guys get open, and when they are actually targeted they drop the ball.

Now Bevell I thought was a bit underrated. Not as good as Shanahan but nowhere near as bad as being garbage as many on .NET tend to believe.

I've never seen anyone get more open against the Cardinals than the 2nd game against Seattle in 2015. Every single play someone was wide open. If the Niners had someone like that after Harbaugh left, maybe Kap's career would get saved instead of having two pick 6s in 10 seconds.

Bevell is better than you think.

NINEster

Reaction score
Shanahan's offensive resume against the Seahawks last year was why he was hired to be Niner coach.

Russell Wilson "owns" the Niners because since 2014, he only needed 10 points a game to beat them.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is a farce, a good OC can move the ball and adjust to their personnel, most times, first you have to have the talent there to begin with and a QB and a Line that have a semblance of a skill set. The RB's and WR's etc you adapt to their strengths. Really good ones do this. McDaniel's in NE being one of the best in this generation. Everyone else is really playing catch up to him. Most people can make a offense work with all stars everywhere, there are exceptions, wasting talent on a philosophy has been done before. Dungy did it in Tampa for years. Were doing it here in Seattle, Parcells leaned that way also. No OC can make things work if your hand cuffing the way to run the offense and making it a defensive unit as in playing not to lose.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
" Those continually calling for his job don't seem to realize that three of the five highest-scoring seasons in franchise history -- 2012, 2013 and 2015 -- came under his watch."

That also came with one Russell Wilson. I'm sorry, but this article wants to give all the accolades produced by Wilson to Bevell. Yes, Wilson is not God's gift to the QB position. I get that. But ALL of the success enjoyed by the offense is directly related to the arrival of Russell Wilson. If DB was anywhere close to being the OC portrayed in this article then Tavaris Jackson would still be the QB.