CTE testing while alive - major or minor impact to the NFL?

mikeak

Reaction score
Up until now CTE has only been confirmed during autopsy. Now this might change as it is stated that a test performed in 2012 confirmed CTE which was then verified through autopsy in 2015. The goal is to start clinical testing then have this out there in the next five years

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/15/cte-d ... esearchers

So the question is - what does people think this will do to the NFL?

Do you think we will get some baseline testing just like concussions? Will it start already in college or high-school and then follow the players for life until they hit some "threshold" where they stop playing football?

Do we think it will continue to become even more like flag football?

Please keep politics and other rude comments out of the discussion

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think it should be done for every single football player between high school and college, then again between college and the NFL.

I think the NFL has been dodging this issue absolutely too much, but let's be real, a lot of these guys have had multiple concussions prior to even getting to the NFL. Blame shouldn't fall exclusively on the NFL because they're last in line or the biggest target; especially with how much crap college athletes get away with that NFL players generally don't/can't.

chris98251

Reaction score
There is a series on KING 5 right now concerning CTE, they have like 175 or so responses from players and family members of previous Seahawk players, I think they said they sent out over 800, very, very, sad concerning some Greg Gaines.

960x540

Hqdefault

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32b4m6sx said:
I think it should be done for every single football player between high school and college, then again between college and the NFL.

I think the NFL has been dodging this issue absolutely too much, but let's be real, a lot of these guys have had multiple concussions prior to even getting to the NFL. Blame shouldn't fall exclusively on the NFL because they're last in line or the biggest target; especially with how much crap college athletes get away with that NFL players generally don't/can't.

I agree that it will be testing from the beginning. However supposedly it is from repeated hits to the head, so it is easy for HS's to say "see the tests are negative". The cumulative effect will then show up in college or NFL. To be clear I think hits to the head for younger players is probably at least as much to blame just going to be harder to prove

sutz

Reaction score
mikeak":16ct9afo said:
RolandDeschain":16ct9afo said:

I agree that it will be testing from the beginning. However supposedly it is from repeated hits to the head, so it is easy for HS's to say "see the tests are negative". The cumulative effect will then show up in college or NFL. To be clear I think hits to the head for younger players is probably at least as much to blame just going to be harder to prove
I think they pretty much know it is a cumulative effect. However, testing early could be helpful assuming they can catch the early signs of it. One obvious difference between PeeWee/HS and college/Pro is the size and strength of the hitters. But like Roland said, they are the end of the line for guys that have been playing for 8-10 years or more.

purpleneer

Reaction score
This is a gamechanger when it gets to that stage. I'm just hoping enough people can adapt and the terrible form that is too common in many aspects of the game is gone before the game is.

chris98251

Reaction score
Guys like Greg Gaines in spite of his injuries said he would do it again, it was a dream and being able to live your dream is something very few people get a chance to do.