A thought on helping reduce head injuries

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'm a little baffled at the lack of widespread discourse on changing the specs on shoulderpads as a move to at least prioritize brain health. Anyone here have thoughts or seen much talk about it? I've felt since I played that the usual big pads with so much hard plastic encouraged the bad habits and overly protected the less vital body part while adding to the risk of head injuries.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
they have new helmet that basically has crumple zones , so maybe soon if it appears to be effective perhaps they'll use it for all the pads they can wear
Beyond that I got no clue

GeekHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3jeh2ry0 said:
GeekHawk":3jeh2ry0 said:
Just go to no helmets at all. Then they'll keep their heads away from contact as much as possible.

They use to do that you know.

Yes. I believe they had fewer concussions, or maybe they just didn't recognize one when they saw it. They don't use helmets in Australian Rules Football, do they?

OP
OP
P

purpleneer

Reaction score
I definitely think there should be a lot more drills and practice without helmets and a still increased emphasis on good form, but I'm thinking reducing the shoulderpads is more of a fail-safe kind of thing, using a decrease in shoulder protection as a limiting factor changing tackles and blocks to a form safer for the head.

chris98251

Reaction score
Helmets have become a weapon more then a protection, I am safe to go in with bad form and use my helmet instead of if I lead with my helmet I am going to get hurt.

jman316

Reaction score
In 1908, before protective equipment was mandated, 19 people died from head injuries playing football. Theodore Roosevelt stepped in an required safety standards to be implemented.

Apparently, before they had equipment, players would tape or tie newspapers to their shins and pillows to their shoulders for protection.