More about officating

chris98251

Reaction score
From Mike Zimmer
Second, while I’m a firm believer that the fix is never in, moments like this make me wonder whether the ratings dip has resulted in an unspoken message to give calls to a team that is on the verge of getting blown out, in order to help avoid it. And if I’m wondering, other people are, too.

Now that the pie is shrinking, maybe it makes sense to find a not-so-subtle way to keep games closer.

That said, I still don’t believe it’s happening. Incompetence in these matters is always a more reasonable explanation than design. But with mistakes that are so obvious and with limited procedures for fixing them, it’s not crazy to at least wonder whether human error is being steered a certain way.

Full article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/23/mike-zimmer-bites-tongue-on-officiating-gaffes/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Good find. Been saying here for years that the league is guilty of “steering games” to desired results at times.
XL* opened my eyes to this “practice”.

cymatica

Reaction score
Those quotes were from the article author Mike Florio, Zimmer sure hinted at the same thought though.

Basically, in order to believe there is zero ref interference, you have to believe the best in the business are completely incompetent at times, not seeing what everyone in the whole damn stadium sees. It happens way too often for it to be human error, and the NFL has done nothing. It's pretty obvious they want closer games for ratings and now it's just gotten so out of hand they can't hide it.

Remember the two opi's in the Saints game on pick plays last year? We got screwed what seemed like all season on pick plays yet when the most blatent ones happen against us then magically they dont see it... Give me a break.

Exittium

Reaction score
Honestly, I’m right there with the author.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":g5lmm3tt said:
Good find. Been saying here for years that the league is guilty of “steering games” to desired results at times.
XL* opened my eyes to this “practice”.
The Saints NFC Championship game against the Vikings showed that as well (horrible)

Exittium

Reaction score
The Facemask on Tyler kinda supports the authors claim right there in terms of ratings and keeping things close