Niners will have a Rams-level jump next year

adeltaY

Reaction score
They are 3-0 with the Savior throwing to scrubs. Shanahan can actually coach the team to wins with this guy behind center. Give them an offseason to get healthy and another draft filled with high picks and the NFC West is about to become a whole lot more competitive.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
:D im sure he threw 2 td's in 3 games the rest were won on FG's but yeah theres another jimmyG in town :sarcasm_on:

SeaChickN

Reaction score
Good. This will force us to not sit on our butts and make the moves needed to stay competitive. It would be nice to get a good rivalry fired up again.

rlkats

Reaction score
As a niners fan Id like to say they should. But there are a ton of holes. The Rams are the 2017 version of the the Niners in 2012. All they needed was a good head coach. Jeff Fisher built that team and that is it. Just like Dingleberry. Harbaugh gets zero credit for building the niners.

I hope your statement is true but Id be happy with an 8-8 season.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
rlkats":2pnqvt2d said:
As a niners fan Id like to say they should. But there are a ton of holes. The Rams are the 2017 version of the the Niners in 2012. All they needed was a good head coach. Jeff Fisher built that team and that is it. Just like Dingleberry. Harbaugh gets zero credit for building the niners.

Well...with how our cap situation sits right now, and our inability to keep most of our “star players” around next year as a result, unfortunately I must succumb to the likely reality that we will be competing with the Cardinals for 3rd place in the NFCW, while the Niners are competing against the Rams for the division crown for next year and probably beyond.

Hopefully our “transition/rebuild” doesn’t take as long as yours apparently did. What is upsetting is that the Niners got significantly better from the acquisition of Jimmy alone, and the team still has a huge amount of cap space to build around him to make the Niners even better than they look right now.

FML....

original poster

Reaction score
I can see, as rlkats pointed out, the Niners going 8-8 or similar next year. 2019 will be when they really come alive IMO.

They need to lock up JimmyG long term.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rlkats":169fgra0 said:

Yeah, the Rams this year to the 9ers in 2012 is a really good comp.

This 9ers team has nowhere near the talent to make a major leap next year.

While it's true they've won three in a row, they've done so by an average 4 point margin against two other bottom feeding teams (the Bears, and Texans w/out a QB) and probably one of the most overrated teams this year (Titans).

Even if none of this year's rookies show an ounce of improvement and can just stay steady this will have been a very, very solid "building blocks" draft for them -- not a team-changing world-beater draft like the Saints just had, but a very solid one -- but once you eliminate all of the silly fanspeak about "promise" I don't think they have a SINGLE position group in which you could safely say they're even above average going into next year (I guess you could say RB because of Hyde, but he's a FA).*

*For 9ers fans who won't like this statement, by position groups I mean whole groups, so like, they're definitely above average at the tackle spots, but not safely above average across the whole O-line because their interior line play is a disaster. Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor might be right around average too, Buckner and Foster are both individually very good, Reid is average and Colbert and Spoon have upside, etc., etc.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3012fqo9 said:
rlkats":3012fqo9 said:

While it's true they've won three in a row, they've done so by an average 4 point margin against two other bottom feeding teams (the Bears, and Texans w/out a QB) and probably one of the most overrated teams this year (Titans).

Even if none of this year's rookies show an ounce of improvement and can just stay steady this will have been a very, very solid "building blocks" draft for them -- not a team-changing world-beater draft like the Saints just had, but a very solid one -- but once you eliminate all of the silly fanspeak about "promise" I don't think they have a SINGLE position group in which you could safely say they're even above average going into next year (I guess you could say RB because of Hyde, but he's a FA).*

*For 9ers fans who won't like this statement, by position groups I mean whole groups, so like, they're definitely above average at the tackle spots, but not safely above average across the whole O-line because their interior line play is a disaster. Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor might be right around average too, Buckner and Foster are both individually very good, Reid is average and Colbert and Spoon have upside, etc., etc.
Kicker.

Quarterback.

rlkats

Reaction score
hawknation2017":28gzrisi said:
Good. Pride goeth before the fall. :p

Is that like Hawk fans pride and the Hawks not going to the playoffs :stirthepot: :D

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
rlkats":q07og9yw said:
hawknation2017":q07og9yw said:
Good. Pride goeth before the fall. :p

Is that like Hawk fans pride and the Hawks not going to the playoffs :stirthepot: :D

Yea it sucks the hawks are missing the playoffs and a lot of hawk fans are mad. I'm upset but it happens. I mean I watched the 90s and I watch the mariners.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1fuya1kc said:
Popeyejones":1fuya1kc said:
rlkats":1fuya1kc said:

Kicker.

Quarterback.

:lol:

Fair.

He passes the ever loving hell out of the eye test but JGQ is still just three games in, and against crap teams too. All to say that I’d be surprised if he ends up being a below average league QB, but I’m not ready to anoint him yet.

You can definitely take the “u” out of Gould though. He’s money.

Jville

Reaction score
The new guys have convinced me that a huge cultural turn around has made itself evident.

Culture cultivates talent. 49ers fans have a historic turn around on their hands. :2thumbs: Enjoy!

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Well a patchwork Niners team just beat the Rams so there is a strong argument that they will challenge them for the division crown next year, even though the Rams rested their star players.

People have forgotten that the Niners has their already sub-par roster even further destroyed by injuries all season long. If they beat talented playoff teams in their 5-0 run to end the season with their crappy roster, imagine what they will do next year when all their players are healthy and/or upgraded with better talent around JimmyG?

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
True but put Gurley, Goff, AD in the there and it's a different story. Savior threw two picks which hurt me in fantasy lol

Marvin49

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":1ng4e3ld said:
Well a patchwork Niners team just beat the Rams so there is a strong argument that they will challenge them for the division crown next year, even though the Rams rested their star players.

People have forgotten that the Niners has their already sub-par roster even further destroyed by injuries all season long. If they beat talented playoff teams in their 5-0 run to end the season with their crappy roster, imagine what they will do next year when all their players are healthy and/or upgraded with better talent around JimmyG?

Also worth noting....

The 49ers lost 5 games between week 2 and 6 by a COMBINED 12 points.

You are what your record says you are so not arguing that they were better than their record, but I am saying they were close and the addition of Jimmy made all the difference.

rlkats

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":2qe7ih74 said:

I love the optimism, but I do not count the rams game at ALL. They were playing scrubs and Jimmy had his worst day as a Niner this season. If he had done this against the starting D and O its a waaaaaaaaay different game sorry to say.

Now I do expect some ups and downs but I also expect a better season next year, but my Niners will still miss the playoffs. They just have way to many holes.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
rlkats":3o23y059 said:
AF_BASS_MAN":3o23y059 said:

I love the optimism, but I do not count the rams game at ALL. They were playing scrubs and Jimmy had his worst day as a Niner this season. If he had done this against the starting D and O its a waaaaaaaaay different game sorry to say.

Now I do expect some ups and downs but I also expect a better season next year, but my Niners will still miss the playoffs. They just have way to many holes.

Even if the Rams hadn’t rested their starters, that game would still not have had an accurate representation of how the Niners stacked up against the Rams, as most of the Niner’s actual starters were resting too...on IR.

I had forgotten until a week ago, that you guys have had Pierre Garçon on IR most the season and that JimmyG hasn’t played with him yet.

rlkats

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":1kmlco4i said:
rlkats":1kmlco4i said:
AF_BASS_MAN":1kmlco4i said:

Even if the Rams hadn’t rested their starters, that game would still not have had an accurate representation of how the Niners stacked up against the Rams, as most of the Niner’s actual starters were resting too...on IR.

I had forgotten until a week ago, that you guys have had Pierre Garçon on IR most the season and that JimmyG hasn’t played with him yet.

Ya true. I forget that the Niners have the most players on IR this year. Crazy to see what they did the last 7 games with a good QB.