Jags are the team Seattle wants to be.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
That works until Blake Bortles happens. It's a fun story, but Jacksonville doesn't have a QB that can win in the playoffs. Teams will load up on Fournette and make Bortles beat them - with whom? Marquise Lee? Seriously?

No sir, Seattle doesn't want to be Jacksonville.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Jags are the 2011 version of us in a crappier division. If they find themselves an improvement at QB they can be a major player in the AFC going forward with that defense and Leonard Fournette.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Correction, the Jags are the team Seattle USED to be...................nasty young physical defense, great run game, QB that manages the game and doesn't screw up.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1afq5y4e said:
Correction, the Jags are the team Seattle USED to be...................nasty young physical defense, great run game, QB that manages the game and doesn't screw up.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing.

The Jags basically set out to recreate the 2012 Seahawks, and by some strange magic have somehow pulled it off. :lol:

To clear Bortles is no Wilson (even in his first and second year when they kept the reigns on him more), but Bortles and his overall inability make it even more clear how successful the overall philosophy can be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zj7q4fs said:
To clear Bortles is no Wilson (even in his first and second year when they kept the reigns on him more), but Bortles and his overall inability make it even more clear how successful the overall philosophy can be.

It just makes the margin of error extremely small for the Jags, because unlike Wilson Bortle's isn't capable of coming back from a 14 pt deficit late in games..........as the Jags are going to find out this post season.

Their defense has to play almost flawless football.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ok...gotta say this....

...and I can't pretend this had nothing to do with watching Jimmy G play against them a few weeks ago and watching Alex Smith/Kaep play against Seattle several years ago....

...man, it ain't close IMO.

They may have had a bad day and Jimmy G might be a different animal, but I was totally unimpressed with Jacksonville.

Shanahan tore that D a new one. It wasn't Jimmy making inhuman plays...it was him hitting WIDE OPEN receivers. I'm talking about guys like Marquise Goodwin, Trent Taylor, Kyle Juszczyk, etc, etc.

Then I saw them fighting on the sideline and with each other on the field. They have some athletes mind you, but I am not on that train yet.

IMO, Seattle was a far better D.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Nah.

Fournette isn't Marshawn, Bortles is definitely not Russell, their SS/FS aren't close to Kam and Earl. That defense, while very good, isn't touching the Hawks 12-14 defenses. They don't have the same home field advantage or a division rival to push them to the extent that Harbaugh's 49ers pushed those Seattle teams.

I like the Jags and am rooting for them, but no.

themunn

Reaction score
Agreed with Marvin.

We had some pretty poor defensive showings by our own standards, but that game against LA - without Kam, Avril, Sherman and a with hobbled Bobby - was the first time since December 2010 that we gave up 40 points to an opponent (126 games incl. playoffs), and while you can say yes, 7 of SF's points against Jacksonville came from a defensive score, you can also point to our offense's ineptitude as being the reason that every single Rams TD drive started in Seattle territory.

They've got a great young defense, but they're not quite there yet

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kobebryant":23wphlip said:
Nah.

Fournette isn't Marshawn, Bortles is definitely not Russell, their SS/FS aren't close to Kam and Earl. That defense, while very good, isn't touching the Hawks 12-14 defenses. They don't have the same home field advantage or a division rival to push them to the extent that Harbaugh's 49ers pushed those Seattle teams.

The Jags defensive stats are very similar this year to our's in 2012.

286 yards/ 16.1 pts per game to 245 yards / 15.3 pts per game with almost 20 more sacks.

Yes, offensively they're not the same, but the run first and manage the game mentality is the same.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pv7oeur said:
kobebryant":1pv7oeur said:
Nah.

The Jags defensive stats are very similar this year to our's in 2012.

286 yards/ 16.1 pts per game to 245 yards / 15.3 pts per game with almost 20 more sacks.

Yes, offensively they're not the same, but the run first and manage the game mentality is the same.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is arguing for one-to-one player replacement, but the construction of the teams and how they try to win (in addition to the actual defensive scheming) are very similar.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Marvin49":1cl6o8m1 said:
ok...gotta say this....

...and I can't pretend this had nothing to do with watching Jimmy G play against them a few weeks ago and watching Alex Smith/Kaep play against Seattle several years ago....

...man, it ain't close IMO.

They may have had a bad day and Jimmy G might be a different animal, but I was totally unimpressed with Jacksonville.

Shanahan tore that D a new one. It wasn't Jimmy making inhuman plays...it was him hitting WIDE OPEN receivers. I'm talking about guys like Marquise Goodwin, Trent Taylor, Kyle Juszczyk, etc, etc.

Then I saw them fighting on the sideline and with each other on the field. They have some athletes mind you, but I am not on that train yet.

IMO, Seattle was a far better D.

Ditto - remember, the Cards also beat them starting...wait for it... Blaine Gabbert.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jags are still on the rise and putting final pieces in place.

adeltaY

Reaction score
They might commit to Bortles long term LOL. QB is still the most important position so they aren't the young Hawks yet. Their defense is equally or more talented at every spot except safety, IMO.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Own The West":1ggo8fl4 said:

JAX not even the best D in the playoffs this year :lol:

Vikings 275 ypg, 15.8ppg, with an NFL HISTORY #1 OPP 3rd down conversion % at 25.25% (23.23% at home) this year. Jax at 33.64% in that

I would put Harrison Smith/Xavier Rhodes up with the best S/CB duo in the league including Earl and Sherman. Both of them were just named to the 2017 ALL PRO team too along with Griffen at the DL spot

I cant believe how criminally underrated Xavier Rhodes is on nfl forums. I found this earlier in the year about him, Since 2016, Xavier Rhodes has held Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham and AJ Green to a combined nine catches for 94 yards on throws into his coverage.

I think Wilsons playmaking ability is what really helped this team over the edge though. If we had Matt Flynn running the show I doubt we even make the superbowl two years in a row and probably lose in the NFCCG both times. I just cant trust Blake Bortles. Also there is something Extra that Kam brought to this defense that imo is rarely found on defenses. NOBODY wanted to catch something close to him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kam is unique in many ways, Easley was unique as well, you can find guys that have similar traits and size but what drives them and the size of the heart they have is what's hard to measure.