Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Am I the only one that isn't enamored with Gruden?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I mean I dont get it, he has been linked to every opening college or pro for years, and he's now coming back to Oakland.

I just don't get it, sure he won a superbowl in tampa, but that team was built and dominated by the defense in which Gruden had nothing to do with. The years after the superbowl he never found the franchise QB, his record was middling, and he never got back there with that defense.

I just don't get it.....
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:I mean I dont get it, he has been linked to every opening college or pro for years, and he's now coming back to Oakland.

I just don't get it, sure he won a superbowl in tampa, but that team was built and dominated by the defense in which Gruden had nothing to do with. The years after the superbowl he never found the franchise QB, his record was middling, and he never got back there with that defense.

I just don't get it.....

I'm actually with you on this one.

I don't get it.

The guy was barely over .500 as a HC. I don't think he's a BAD coach and I'd have loved to have had him in the Tomsula/Kelly years but I don't get the 10 mil per and ownership stake.

I think there is something with Oakland specifically tho as seeing him as the one that got away.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Gruden is the kind of coach that I'd be ok with having, but not over the moon. With that said, the Raiders did what the Raiders always seem to do, and that is to set their eyes on something they want and overpay to get it. That hasn't always worked out that well for them in the past. At least this time, it doesn't hurt their salary cap.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I love Gruden the color commentator, but as a HC I thought he was slightly above average.

IMO he's like Jim Harbaugh, someone that can come in and lay down the law and have great short term success.............but after a couple of years that hard ass prickly contentious approach will wear thin on everyone.

So for Davis and the Raiders to give him a 10 year contract? Insane.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• He's a .500 coach or little better. I like the guy, he's entertaining, but just sort of decent as a head coach I think.
    SeaChase wrote:One thing I noticed,well in my opinion,is that Wilson isnt a good passer.
    KillerB
    NET Starter

• Sgt. Largent wrote:IMO he's like Jim Harbaugh, someone that can come in and lay down the law and have great short term success.............but after a couple of years that hard ass prickly contentious approach will wear thin on everyone.

I think he knows more about football (i.e. is actually involved in scripting, scheming, and play-calling) and isn't a balls-to-the-wall crazy person like Harbaugh, but yeah, he's definitely kinda Harbaugh-lite, and definitely not the type of guy I'd give a 10 year deal too (if anyone could even be the type of guy who deserves a 10 year deal at all).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:IMO he's like Jim Harbaugh, someone that can come in and lay down the law and have great short term success.............but after a couple of years that hard ass prickly contentious approach will wear thin on everyone.

I think he knows more about football (i.e. is actually involved in scripting, scheming, and play-calling) and isn't a balls-to-the-wall crazy person like Harbaugh, but yeah, he's definitely kinda Harbaugh-lite, and definitely not the type of guy I'd give a 10 year deal too (if anyone could even be the type of guy who deserves a 10 year deal at all).

Right, I meant same burns too hot to last long anywhere like Harbaugh.

Gruden does have a VERY good situation to go into. Top 10 QB, good line, nice pieces on both offense and defense.

As a fan without a rooting interest and as much as I love him in the booth...............this is good for the NFL. Gruden is nothing if not entertaining and interesting.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Gruden is awesome on MNF.
    Hendo66
    NET Veteran

• Gruden doesn't like Carr as a QB, already a rift there, liked David better, Gruden won with Dungy's defense and knowing all the calls from Oakland, dummies never changed them. For all his knowledge at of QB's he could not draft one to save his life, those he had he had playing scared because his hook was faster then a guy fishing with a Fly Rod.

What he does bring is Entertainment and a name, something in moving to Vegas will sell seats right away no matter what venue they play in till their stadium is built, throw in Lynch and it should be rather dynamic and explosive, Gruden isn't Pete he is fiery and will confront.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I don't get it either. I am happy that we never went after this guy.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• There is a reason they hired him just before going to Vegas. This is a business move not necessarily a winning move. Gruden is extremely well known and brings a lot of hype to the team whether earned or not.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Lol @ 10 years 100m. He is going to be sitting at home doing nothing collecting over half of that.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Lol @ 10 years 100m. He is going to be sitting at home doing nothing collecting over half of that.

Agreed. He'll be done with the Raiders in four years.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Give him a bit more, they have to get a foot hold in Vegas and then we will see what happens in Their own stadium a few years. He will get a pass for the whole relocation aspect. 5 to 6 I think, unless they begin to lose badly.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Also not seeing all the hype on this. Raiders ended up on right side of lots of close games a season ago. Hard to expect same outcomes on all those but even more Carr looked horrible, Amari drops every other, and the Mack/Irvin duo was schemed against with have a piss poor secondary. Only thing I like is not having to listen to him on MNF anymore, although will miss the Spider 2 Y Banana drinking game with him saying 100 times a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

• Im glad i wasnt alone in thinking that. But u guys are spot on about vegas. He will sell tickets.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• For an alleged QB guru, Gruden sure cycled through a lot of mediocre ones in Tampa. At one point, they had four on the active roster and they were all terrible.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• gowazzu02 wrote:I mean I dont get it, he has been linked to every opening college or pro for years, and he's now coming back to Oakland.

I just don't get it.....

Im with you. It seems like a familiar face that makes occasional good points as a broadcaster goes a long way towards thinking he is the answer, nervermind he was average as a coach and hasnt coached in a while.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• I think this was a big mistake by both Gruden and Oakland. Gruden had it going as a commentator. He could continue on forever with a great salary and great security. If he cannot revive the Raiders then what? Job security is not looking so good. I think paying that kind of money over that many years is a risk that could really come back to bite the Raiders. This guy has not coached for years. His overall record is not that impressive. That being said I think he is a great color commentator.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

• My brother says Gruden is overrated.

I tend to agree with him but I did enjoy Gruden's commentary and his "Gruden's QB Camp."
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• BigBill1945 wrote:I think this was a big mistake by both Gruden and Oakland. Gruden had it going as a commentator. He could continue on forever with a great salary and great security. If he cannot revive the Raiders then what? Job security is not looking so good. I think paying that kind of money over that many years is a risk that could really come back to bite the Raiders. This guy has not coached for years. His overall record is not that impressive. That being said I think he is a great color commentator.

Agreed.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• BigBill1945 wrote:I think this was a big mistake by both Gruden and Oakland. Gruden had it going as a commentator. He could continue on forever with a great salary and great security. If he cannot revive the Raiders then what? Job security is not looking so good. I think paying that kind of money over that many years is a risk that could really come back to bite the Raiders. This guy has not coached for years. His overall record is not that impressive. That being said I think he is a great color commentator.

I think Gruden will be ok financially.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Who is better Gruden or Holmgren?

Holmgren won a superbowl in Green Bay and took us to one.

Both coaches have been out of the game for a while.

You'd probably get Holmgren at a fraction of what you paid Gruden.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• 10 mil a year is a mistake for Gruden? Heck no, no way in hell anyone would say no to that contract.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Really giving $100M ten years and possibly part of ownership is liking giving it to him on a silver platter.
    July Fireworks!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• He’s a likeable guy, has a great knowledge of the game, and has built on that knowledge from interviewing players and coaches from every team from the comfort of his MNF trailer for years.

I think that his time with ESPN, coupled to his previous experience, will impact the Raiders in a positive way.

I believe it is a good match for the Raiders.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

I just don't get it.....

I don't get it either, but to be fair the year he won the Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team, he played the team he had been with the previous four years that he had a hand in building.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Every successful HC in the NFL has found the franchise QB. If you don't you won't last. Gruden won the SB his first year but couldn't find a young stud to build his offense around but not for not trying. He shouldn't have that problem with the Raiders.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Seafan wrote:Every successful HC in the NFL has found the franchise QB. If you don't you won't last. Gruden won the SB his first year but couldn't find a young stud to build his offense around but not for not trying. He shouldn't have that problem with the Raiders.

Carr is not a franchise QB.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• It was funny listening to Chris Simms talking about it the other day. Gruden ruined that kid's career and almost cost him his spleen. He said in an interview that gruden will micro manage Carr, and to look out.

Chucky was fun to watch back in the day but was terrible at developing quarterbacks and only a mediocre coach. When people here were hoping we'd hire him after Holmgren, I puked in my mouth a little. His reputation is a bit unwarranted.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:10 mil a year is a mistake for Gruden? Heck no, no way in hell anyone would say no to that contract.

No you are correct. Financially it is a great deal. I do not think if I were Davis I would have done this deal. But that is just me. If this turns out to be a bust then you now have to share the pie with Gruden. Great deal for Gruden but questionable for Davis. If Gruden makes them successful then this is a moot point.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

• Am I the only one that isn't enamored with Gruden?

Looks like this group is going to get a bit larger with Gruden hiring Cable.

Count me in.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information