Stacked boxes and the run game

GeekHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":3a9y7lhi said:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/drew-brees-deserves-credit-for-the-saints-running-game-too/

Great article about Brees and the Saints, but the table paints an ugly picture for the Seahawks.

YPC: 3.3 (32nd)
Stacked box %: 18.2 (30th)

Faced relatively few stacked boxes and still couldn't run effectively :pukeface:

Expert run-blocking being coached here. Nothing to see, please move along.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1q4e7g3b said:
adeltaY":1q4e7g3b said:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/drew-brees-deserves-credit-for-the-saints-running-game-too/

Great article about Brees and the Saints, but the table paints an ugly picture for the Seahawks.

Faced relatively few stacked boxes and still couldn't run effectively :pukeface:

Expert run-blocking being coached here. Nothing to see, please move along.

And better tight ends. Ours aren't cutting the mustard in that department at all.

If you want to know how St. Louis, Philly, and Tennesee all put on master classes in run-blocking, you should examine their tight ends.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don’t think I watched a single lions game, but this makes me want to a bit. They seem equally as inept at running. Would be interesting to see how that happened, and how the rest of the team compensated.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If we can’t run, our offense simply doesn’t function. It hasn’t been mentioned much, but our bread and butter is play action. Russ’s deep balls aren’t as dangerous if we can’t suck up the safeties and keep run support duties in the mind of the corners. Run blocking is untenable at this point. Something has to be done.

Jville

Reaction score
adeltaY":2g15xbfc said:

LOL ..... That's some nice eye candy for Saints fans ...... as it was intended to be.

It's usefulness is kind of limited without details as to down and distance, personnel groupings along with the many many other snap to snap variables.

Actual article title before re purpose >>> "Drew Brees Deserves Credit For The Saints’ Running Game, Too"

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
From the article:

"We threw out any play where there were more than two wide receivers in the formation or an offense was down two or more scores because this suggests to a defense that a pass is coming. We also dumped all short-yardage plays (1 yard from a first down) and goal-line situations (3 or fewer yards from the end zone). Lastly, we ignored the final six minutes of the game because an offense’s intentions here are frequently obvious — whether it’s to play catch-up (pass) or to kill clock (run)."

Please read the article before criticising it for not accounting for confounding factors when it did.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not criticizing an article that was shaped for a Saints audience. I'm sure it was well received by it's intended audience.

However, I am noting that the linked article was re purposed for reasons other than what it's author intended.

......... nothing personnel ...... just reflections ....... forum feedback and such.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
I was just using stats in the article. The purpose of a piece doesn't change facts that it contains. If there's an article on the effects of anticoagulants on DVT that references a study of their effects on heart attacks, the heart attack data is still valid by itself.