Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks "interested" in Gus Bradley [Signed w/ SD]

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I don't have a twitter link from Schefter - he reported it on TV. Here's one from Hawkblogger talking about it.

Hawkblogger seems to think Richard would be let go and Gus would be given assist. HC duties. Possible Cable firing as result...

Will list as rumor since very unconfirmed. Multiple people are referencing Schefter saying this on TV, though.

In response to:

Last edited by Maelstrom787 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.

Gus Bradley had the least amount of talent out of all of our coordinators. When Dan Quinn took over we added Mike Bennett and Cliff Avril. I think you could make the case that Gus Bradley actually got the most bang for your buck.
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• He did some nice things with the Chargers this year but having two stud pass rushers help any defense. Don't like his passive end to games but maybe he's changed.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Bradley had one pass rusher and we had the top scoring defense. Clemons was the only guy who could get pressure. Bradley is an excellent DC.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

• Better than Richard, I’d be fine with it.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• If Gus can stop a 3rd and long I'm down.
    HoldYourHawk
    NET Rookie

• I'm all for it. Hire Gus as DC + Assistant HC, Fire Cable and get a new OL coach.
    Make Seahawks Great Again.
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• WWSD

WHAT WOULD SHERMAN DO?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie

• I'm torn. I don't think looking backwards is the way to move forward, but this would be an upgrade.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• Didnt really have a problem with richard other than the terrible 3rd down defense. Cable is the one that needs to be gone.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• Talk about a double edged sword. We bring back Gus, who singlehandedly destroyed our 2012 season and cost us a chance at the Super Bowl with so many blown fourth quarter leads, including the debacle in Atlanta.

On the other hand, it could mean Tom Cable leaves. It’s almost worth it. :lol:
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• The only thing I have to say about Gus is this: Look at the young Jacksonville D he built. Much like Pete he did not have a very good offensive coaching staff that cost him game after game. His D units were top 10 or close to it with a very bad offense that could not sustain drives. Gus with this level of talent would be interesting to see.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Would not be excited for Bradley. As some said, it would basically be a lateral move. Now Dan Quinn on the other hand?

We wish.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• RussB wrote:Didnt really have a problem with richard other than the terrible 3rd down defense. Cable is the one that needs to be gone.

2012 3rd down defense: 77 conversions on 199 attempts with an average to go yardage of 7.63 yards. That's a conversion percentage of 38.7%.

2017 3rd down defense: 85 conversions on 223 attempts with an average to go yardage of 7.43 yards. That's a conversion percentage of 38.1%.

Third down defense was slightly worse with Gus around. I still stand by my statement earlier that this would be a lateral move at DC, but if means getting rid of Cable it's a step forward I guess. Still don't want Gus as the next head coach though.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Richards still managed great games with our injuries, so the idea that Gus is better is not at all factually or reasonably objective. I want someone better than Richards but he is getting an excessive amount of criticism

If you’re gonna call this an upgrade, at least look back at his blown games. Gus had more than enough to work with and he’s been average at best since leaving us. No thanks

EDIT: Not to mention, Gus had a more efficient offense to work with, with a healthy Beast Mode
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Richards is Gus 2.0
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if this means Richards is getting the colts head coaching job
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• What this rumor tells me is that Richard must be getting a Head Coaching gig. Any other reason just doesn't make sense.

Thanks Kris, you did a fine job with the LOB. Good luck at the next level.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

• Great minds think alike Irish!
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

• Honestly, I don't care. This is Pete's defense.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• nwHawk wrote:Great minds think alike Irish!

:irishdrinkers:
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• How will this help our offense?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:How will this help our offense?

Cable is demoted or probably let go completely if Gus given Assist. HC title.

Multiple sources report Cable would be gone before Bevell.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Gus built this years Jacksonville. I thought it was incredibly unfair to fire him last year. Look at how close they were last year in so many games this season was expected. Yeah I would take him back especially if Cable goes
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I love the idea of Gus coming back as Pete's heir apparent. And that Jags defense that everyone is crowing about was largely built by Gus. That being said, I'm not down on Richard like a lot of other folks are. I also think that it's harder to judge what the calls are on Defense when you play a very basic scheme like the Seahawks do. It's either Cover 3 or Cover 1, or it's a bilitz (which rarely happened).

Beyond that you can do a number of things: twists and slants on the DL to disrupt the opposing run game or put more pressure on the QB. You could have specialty personnel packages like the NASCAR pass rush package that we used to have.

I do think that he showed bad judgement in continuing to play Bennett. I heard Bennett had severe plantar fascia issues, which might be why he played so poorly. However, the point is that he DID play poorly and should have been pulled from the starting lineup.

I also think some of the calls at the end of games, like the Redskins game and the Jags game, were pretty bad.

On the whole, though, the Defense kept us in a lot of games that we had no business being in, because the offense was so atrocious. Cable must go, that's a must. And I'm not a fan of Bevell. But Richard I think has great potential.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• THE TABS wrote:Talk about a double edged sword. We bring back Gus, who singlehandedly destroyed our 2012 season and cost us a chance at the Super Bowl with so many blown fourth quarter leads, including the debacle in Atlanta.

On the other hand, it could mean Tom Cable leaves. It’s almost worth it. :lol:

Only do this if the above happens and the current OC is 86’ed as well.
    Gus is a great coach but a horrible playcaller that is in love with softzone/prevent defensive schemes.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Cyrus12 wrote:How will this help our offense?

Did you miss the part where it says that this would result in Cable being let go?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Gus is the master of 4th qtr blown leads. The results are not what makes me dislike him, it's how he goes about it.

He plays generic soft cover 3, or rushes 5 and plays soft zone behind it. It allows the opposing QB to have incredibly easy reads, and throws. It is frustrating because when Gus is trailing in games he will press his corners, and play more man.

But then he will turtle up and go soft zone once he has a lead. Absolutely maddening!

Just stick with the defense that got you the lead Gus, Jesus Christ. I am having flashbacks.

That is what Quinn did when he came in as DC, he pressed his corners in the 4th qtr, he didn't turtle. The other thing Quinn is really excellent at is designing his stunts and twists to get pressure without having to blitz. Pete needs to pair with a DC that has a D-Line background to maximize his defense.

Lateral move.

Fire Cable anyway. Even if it doesn't happen.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Bradley>Richard

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• HB was saying Bradley comes in as AHC/DC and Cable goes. Two birds with one stone?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• I'm seeing a lot of talk on here about Cable leaving if Gus comes back, but Cable's primary job is still O-line coach. Gus doesn't change that.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:Gus built this years Jacksonville. I thought it was incredibly unfair to fire him last year. Look at how close they were last year in so many games this season was expected. Yeah I would take him back especially if Cable goes

What are you talking about? Gus didn't have Bouye, Church, Gipson, Campbell, Fournette, Westbrook, or Cole. Those are some huge pieces that have elevated that team. He hardly used Myles Jack or Dante Fowler. Gus dug his own grave while he was there. Granted, he didn't have the above talent, but he had some good building pieces to work with and floundered. Bortles regression started on his watch. He deserved to be canned. He was a failure there.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Gus is Richard 2.0 Richard even states he tried to follow a lot of Bradleys style in defense, problem is where does Richard go, his coaching abilities of the DB's has been one of our mainstays here and would be a huge loss I think. Cable being replaced I am for but adding to the defense and subtracting the offense?

Richard I hope does get the HC gig if this is how were going to do it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• If it means getting rid of both Cable and Richard then it's a good move. Bradley was a solid DC other than his prevent and 3rd down struggles.

But of course Pete keeps Bevell because Loyalty Forever plays out.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Didn't Cable want to get Gus Bradley as his DC in San Fran before he declined the job?
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• IrishNW wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.

Gus Bradley had the least amount of talent out of all of our coordinators. When Dan Quinn took over we added Mike Bennett and Cliff Avril. I think you could make the case that Gus Bradley actually got the most bang for your buck.

I respectfully disagree. 2012 had incredible depth on the defensive line. In 2013 Avril was not a starter, Clemons was and if I am not mistaken neither was Bennett. Richard has had to deal with a lot of injuries along with depleted depth at the DL and DBs.

Defensive Line

99 Alan Branch DT
    79 Red Bryant DE
    97 Patrick Chukwurah DE
    94 Jaye Howard DT
    51 Bruce Irvin DE
    69 Clinton McDonald DT
    92 Brandon Mebane DT
    98 Greg Scruggs DE

Linbackers

52 Allen Bradford OLB
    55 Heath Farwell OLB
    56 Leroy Hill OLB
    57 Mike Morgan MLB
    53 Malcolm Smith OLB
    54 Bobby Wagner MLB
    50 K. J. Wright OLB

Defensive Backs

39 Brandon Browner CB
    31 Kam Chancellor SS
    27 Winston Guy SS
    32 Jeron Johnson SS
    20 Jeremy Lane CB
    42 Chris Maragos FS
    41 Byron Maxwell CB
    35 DeShawn Shead SS
    25 Richard Sherman CB
    29 Earl Thomas FS *
    23 Marcus Trufant CB
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.

Agree 100%.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:
    IrishNW wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.

I respectfully disagree. 2012 had incredible depth on the defensive line. In 2013 Avril was not a starter, Clemons was and if I am not mistaken neither was Bennett. Richard has had to deal with a lot of injuries along with depleted depth at the DL and DBs.

Defensive Line

99 Alan Branch DT
    79 Red Bryant DE
    97 Patrick Chukwurah DE
    94 Jaye Howard DT
    51 Bruce Irvin DE
    69 Clinton McDonald DT
    92 Brandon Mebane DT
    98 Greg Scruggs DE

Linbackers

52 Allen Bradford OLB
    55 Heath Farwell OLB
    56 Leroy Hill OLB
    57 Mike Morgan MLB
    53 Malcolm Smith OLB
    54 Bobby Wagner MLB
    50 K. J. Wright OLB

Defensive Backs

39 Brandon Browner CB
    31 Kam Chancellor SS
    27 Winston Guy SS
    32 Jeron Johnson SS
    20 Jeremy Lane CB
    42 Chris Maragos FS
    41 Byron Maxwell CB
    35 DeShawn Shead SS
    25 Richard Sherman CB
    29 Earl Thomas FS *
    23 Marcus Trufant CB

The 2013 D-line was the 2012 d-line with bennett and avril added(doesnt matter if they didnt start). Gus bradley had 1 legit pass rusher on his d-line and a rookie bruce irvin. Quinn had 4 legit pass rushers that all contributed and all stayed healthy. The linebackers and secondary stayed the same with Maxwell taking over for BB.
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• IrishNW wrote:

The 2013 D-line was the 2012 d-line with bennett and avril added(doesnt matter if they didnt start). Gus bradley had 1 legit pass rusher on his d-line and a rookie bruce irvin. Quinn had 4 legit pass rushers that all contributed and all stayed healthy. The linebackers and secondary stayed the same with Maxwell taking over for BB.

Are you sticking to him having the least amount of talent out the 3 DCs?
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:
    IrishNW wrote:

Are you sticking to him having the least amount of talent out the 3 DCs?

yes
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• HoldYourHawk wrote:If Gus can stop a 3rd and long I'm down.

This board was screaming in 2012 about how he couldn't.

Kris Richard is pretty underrated. The fact that we were still one of league's top pass defenses against big plays without Sherman, Avril, or Kam is not exactly an indictment.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• You guys are trying to compare these.

They are all apples just a different color or level of sweetness.

Bradley had a great group to start with, Quinn a more aggressive approach, Richard a more seasoned group, all were top defenses except this year where injuries took the toll and yet we were still very respectable with our young guys and pickups filling in. This is not really something to get into a pissing contest with.

Between the age progression, the newness of our defense in the league and styles of the DC's we have maintaining what we have been able to do is a credit to all three as well as Pete and teaching abilities of our coaches.

Next year we will see once again how good our staff is in the rebuild or re tool effort.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Can Gus coach up an O Line?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran

• RussB wrote:Didnt really have a problem with richard other than the terrible 3rd down defense. Cable is the one that needs to be gone.

Richard was very serviceable and seemed to learn and improve and adjust over the course of this year.
    Beating the Cowboys with a great defensive effort from a banged-up defense of rookies and backups was excellent. Getting pressure on Dak Prescott and sacking him on the plays that mattered was priceless.

At the start, Richard seemed to not truly understand how to dial up D-Line pressure.
    I think he gets that now, and/or has other coaches who pitch in with that part of the scheme.

I'd be fine with having Richard back. I'd be fine with having Bradley back also. Quinn will be in Atlanta for a good long time so moot point.

I don't really know whether Bevell or Cable is the bigger problem, but the O-Line is the worst position group, and that's Cable's job to make the group serviceable, and in what, around 5 years of Cable, our O-Line is still awful?
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• The 2017 Jags are proof that Gus lacks something in the form of a coach. I saw a stat that Bill Belichick could go 0-16 for 49 straight seasons and still have a higher win % than Gus as a HC.. lol

The only positive of Gus was he was a master motivator. I also think he may be more respected. I don't get the idea they are respectfully fearful of RIchard like they are Gus.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Why are they looking to replace Kris? I really don't understand this unless Kris is getting the Colts HC.

1. If Pete reviewed this team and decided that Kris is the only coach that needs to go I'll be beyond disappointed. Of the three Kris should be the last to go and I really don't think he needs to go.

2. I'm not impressed with Gus, he had some serious flaws while here and he was a disaster in JAX. I didn't watch the Chargers this year so can't speak on that, but none of his past few years shows that he is better than Kris.
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

• LolaRox wrote:Why are they looking to replace Kris? I really don't understand this unless Kris is getting the Colts HC.

1. If Pete reviewed this team and decided that Kris is the only coach that needs to go I'll be beyond disappointed. Of the three Kris should be the last to go and I really don't think he needs to go.

2. I'm not impressed with Gus, he had some serious flaws while here and he was a disaster in JAX. I didn't watch the Chargers this year so can't speak on that, but none of his past few years shows that he is better than Kris.

I think Kris might be getting that colts job. His biggest competition is Josh McDaniels and McDaniels is rumored to be the top choice for the bears. This would make more sense to me as well because i dont think Kris really did that bad given the circumstances.
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

• If Kris Richard goes to a HC job, I really like this move..... as long has his "prevent" defense isn't the same BS we had when he was here before.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Just spitballing here but if Richard is to get replaced rather than get a HC job elsewhere then might it be because of a perceived fracturing of relationships with defensive players? Could be a cultural thing rather than play calling per se?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information