Panthers fire OC and QB coach after playoff loss

mistaowen

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/950775544714530816[/tweet]

Also likely losing D coordinator to a HC vacancy.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Head scratching that Pete and John think this coaching staff is good enough to continue forward with no changes. I really hope something is in the works, but I doubt it

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
All Panther fans that I know are ecstatic about this move. But yet we'll keep our guys who need to be fired

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
From NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... mike-shula)

"Shula helped nurture Cam Newton early in his career, and piloted the quarterback to his 2015 MVP season. The OC, however, often caught the ire of Panthers fans for an up-and-down offense that lacked a consistent identity...

...While Newton's ability to run the ball will never be completely abandoned, it's clear that Panthers decision-makers want the offense to evolve beyond an overreliance on the team's most important player getting beaten up each week."

Not to make this another Bevell thread, but: see any parallels?

RussB

Reaction score
Ive always liked what he did with cam and that offense. Seahawks should look in what do you guys think of him?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not sure Mike Shula would be much of an upgrade. But he does have some good heritage being Don Shula's son. So there's that. Wasn't Cam the Panthers leading rusher?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The Panthers had some of the same problems we had on offense, with arguably more O-line talent. Do not want.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Mike Shula made Cam Newton an MVP with Ted Ginn Jr. as his top wideout. Just think about that. Shula wasn't the problem for that offense, Cam just isn't that great of a passer and had few weapons to throw to.

I dion't think Shula wants to run Cam as much as he does, he just has to because that"s the only way he can be consistently effective. Otherwise you might as well have Derek Anderson back there. Big arm, but will always be a sub 60% passer. This seems like a scapegoat firing to me.

Honestly I wouldn't mind Shula as a Bevell replacement.

Chapow

Reaction score
Panthers ranked lower than us in both yards per game and points per game. Those are the most commonly used stats to rank offenses. If you don't like those stats, fine, but the point is if you think we had a horrible offense, the Panthers arguably had a worse offense. They made the playoffs because they have a very good defense. There's a reason he just got fired.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Trrrroy":39mjp53o said:
Mike Shula made Cam Newton an MVP with Ted Ginn Jr. as his top wideout. Just think about that. Shula wasn't the problem for that offense, Cam just isn't that great of a passer and has zero weapons to throw to.

I dion't think Shula wants to run Cam as much as he does, he just has to because that"s the only way he can be consistently effective. Otherwise you might as well have Derek Anderson back there. Big arm, but will always be a sub 60% passer. This seems like a scapegoat firing to me.

Noooo. I agree with you about Cam's limitations as a passer, but Shula is not a good OC by any stretch of the imagination. The offense he runs is designed to push the ball down the field and required Cam to sit back and wait for their subpar receivers to get open, which results in him taking a beating. It also calls for a disproportionate number of low percentage throws, which is partially why his completion percentage is so low. Now, his mechanics are also a mess and I think he's vastly overrated by their fans and some others in the media.

Their receivers also sucked at getting separation. KB was always slow and had a huge body but played much smaller than his frame. Funchess is only now coming on and was injured toward the end of the year. Their speed guys are really raw and both Byrd and Samuel ended up on IR. He didn't really scheme around their strengths well.

His offense did not help Newton out much, especially when they couldn't run the ball effectively (outside of Cam), which was most of this year. His situational playcalling was also pretty bad. Panthers fans HATED the guy and I don't think their reasoning was wrong at all. Reminds me a lot of our offensive coaching staff but as we can see, nothing's changed there. This is the Panthers abandoning the status quo of making the playoffs but not being a serious threat and saying that's not good enough any more. I really respect that.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1azzgf6a said:
I'm not sure Mike Shula would be much of an upgrade. But he does have some good heritage being Don Shula's son. So there's that. Wasn't Cam the Panthers leading rusher?

Don Shula was a defensive Coach............

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":29c87uys said:
hawkfan68":29c87uys said:

Don Shula was a defensive Coach............

Don Shula is also a HOF and one of the best, if not the best, all-time coaches in the NFL. He coached Dan Marino, Bob Griese, and Johnny Unitas. I think he knows what good offenses can do even though his specialty was on the defensive side.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":yfjjrb44 said:
Mike Shula made Cam Newton an MVP with Ted Ginn Jr. as his top wideout. Just think about that. Shula wasn't the problem for that offense, Cam just isn't that great of a passer and had few weapons to throw to.

This is wrong. Shula had NOTHING to do with his MVP season, if anything Cam's abilities have covered up Shula's offense for awhile. There's a reason they went 15-1 and NOBODY interviewed him for a job, while Sean mcdermott was actually fielding some interest. Now I will say Carolina has done a poor job with the offensive talent that Cam and Shula had to work with, but just like Bevell, that isn't an excuse for some of the poor and obvious play calling that I've seen from Shula over the years.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Noooo. I agree with you about Cam's limitations as a passer, but Shula is not a good OC by any stretch of the imagination. The offense he runs is designed to push the ball down the field and required Cam to sit back and wait for their subpar receivers to get open, which results in him taking a beating. It also calls for a disproportionate number of low percentage throws, which is partially why his completion percentage is so low. Now, his mechanics are also a mess and I think he's vastly overrated by their fans and some others in the media.

Their receivers also sucked at getting separation. KB was always slow and had a huge body but played much smaller than his frame. Funchess is only now coming on and was injured toward the end of the year. Their speed guys are really raw and both Byrd and Samuel ended up on IR. He didn't really scheme around their strengths well.

His offense did not help Newton out much, especially when they couldn't run the ball effectively (outside of Cam), which was most of this year. His situational playcalling was also pretty bad. Panthers fans HATED the guy and I don't think their reasoning was wrong at all. Reminds me a lot of our offensive coaching staff but as we can see, nothing's changed there. This is the Panthers abandoning the status quo of making the playoffs but not being a serious threat and saying that's not good enough any more. I really respect that.[/quote]

Well written, Shula's offense also required Cam to throw in the tightest windows recorded of ANY QB all season this past Sunday. Granted he played good and the talent is their which leads to why Dorsey was fired. But you really got Cam Newton out here trying to fit over 25% of his passes in those type of windows???

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Lol Ken Dorsey was a QB coach? He was the whiniest little bitch in college.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1oogo0lm said:
Lol Ken Dorsey was a QB coach? He was the whiniest little bitch in college.
Lmao which is part of the reason he got fired. I'm assuming Hurney wants to know that if Cam can play as good and accurate as he did Sunday in a playoff game, why cant that be more of the norm then a roll coaster for him.

And since a QB coach is in place to correct those things the interim GM may think that Dorsey either wasn't doing his job good enough( whether that's being a poor teacher or that he isn't tough enough on the QB room) Now also it could be a case where once Cams on the field he resorts back to his given arm strength and gets lazy in the mechanics depart. I guess only time will tell which one it is after they find a new OB coach.