“Rooney Rule” circumvented.

pmedic920

Reaction score
By the Raiders, or so it would seem in the hiring of J.G.

Will be interesting to watch this one play out.

I fully understand why this rule is in place but I truly think it’s a stupid one, because most every owner in almost every circumstance knows who he/she wants to hire before they interview anyone.

Forcing (by rule) an owner to interview people they have no intention on hiring seems a waste to me but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the NFL handles this.
It’s fairly obvious by using Davis’s own words that a deal was in place before Del Rio was even fired/ let go.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/ra ... en-hiring/

IIRC, the last team that violated the Rooney rule was fined 200k but that was a good while back.
Lions back in “03”

Thoughts?
Maybe a draft pick + fine?

Here’s a wiki link for those not familiar with the rule.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The Rooney rule is garbage. In this day and age, with everything that is at stake, I think most teams will hire the best candidate available regardless of their skin color. These teams are billion dollar companies at minimum. If they overlook a more qualified, minority candidate in favor of a white coach, then they get what they deserve. I don't know. Maybe I am just being naïve.

getnasty

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2xgcqpuw said:
The Rooney rule is garbage. In this day and age, with everything that is at stake, I think most teams will hire the best candidate available regardless of their skin color. These teams are billion dollar companies at minimum. If they overlook a more qualified, minority candidate in favor of a white coach, then they get what they deserve. I don't know. Maybe I am just being naïve.

Great post

mrt144

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1llyq57o said:

Just a bit naive. Although Jerry Richardson is selling the Panthers...

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the Rooney rule for all intents and purposes has been circumcised anyway, the way teams work around is blatant and the token interviews rampant, genuine interviews of legitimate candidates aside.

rossob

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/951585759567536130[/tweet]

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
chris98251":4tmj7nbq said:
Well the Rooney rule for all intents and purposes has been circumcised anyway, the way teams work around is blatant and the token interviews rampant, genuine interviews of legitimate candidates aside.
*snort*... "Circumsised" Nice one, Chris... :irishdrinkers:

Anyways... Yes, teams probably do engage in "tokenism" in interviews at times when following this rule. However, even these token interviews have the positive effect of "getting a name out there".

We've all seen how this works, right? Somebody we've never heard of gets an interview, then we know his name, then he's a "hot commodity" and then he gets a job. And in the super-insular world of the NFL, where guys have an extreme tendency to "go with what ya know", forcing teams to broaden their searches and create more inclusive candidate pools is really, really important.

This is a good thing, a positive thing and it comes at basically no cost to anyone.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well technically Gruden is a re-hire and known commodity, maybe the Raiders will use that argument.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Their GM named the minority applicants they interviewed during the process when asked if they satisfied the Rooney rule on Tuesday during the press conference.

I doubt the dude would lie. If anything the league just doesn’t like how it was circumvented by them just “interviewing” the minority considerations when they knew ahead of time that they were going to sign Gruden the whole time.

I think the rule isn’t necessary in this day and age. You want who you want.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Seems like no one here gets the point of the Rooney rule.

It is NOT to give minorities a chance to be hired by the people interviewing them. It is, rather, to help them network and build professional connections with those in the NFL power structure. In other words, the “token” interviews are not only NOT a waste of time, they are the entire point of the Rooney rule in the first place.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3fp2ny4o said:

It is NOT to give minorities a chance to be hired by the people interviewing them. It is, rather, to help them network and build professional connections with those in the NFL power structure. In other words, the “token” interviews are not only NOT a waste of time, they are the entire point of the Rooney rule in the first place.
It's a rule based on race, which makes it racist. End of story.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":11gq7f7g said:

Still, if you are interviewing someone based on the color of their skin, isn't that as bad as not interviewing them for the same reason? It is simply reversed. Why should anyone be given special consideration or be given a chance to "build networks" based on their skin color? IF they are TRULY a good coach, then every other team out there knows their name and will attempt to lure them to their team. Every team in the NFL wants the best players and coaches regardless of their skin color. I simply cannot believe otherwise.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
mrt144":3gyfmbz4 said:
WmHBonney":3gyfmbz4 said:

Just a bit naive. Although Jerry Richardson is selling the Panthers...[/quote]

Ummm no. One of the easiest ways to get your team publicity is to hire an African American. Top that with one that is highly qualified why wouldn't an owner hire them?

No rule had to be implemented when African Americans starting playing football in the NFL, why does one need to be put in order for coaching? Also, where is the outrage about how many white owners there are in NFL? You want to get rid of racism stop including race. I am totally fine with 66% of players in the NFL being black even though African Americans only make up 13% of the country. I only care about winning and every one is a human being.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
I’m not making a judgment. I’m just explaining what the actual reason for it is.

rossob

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":252dz8uy said:
5_Golden_Rings":252dz8uy said:

It's a rule based on race, which makes it racist. End of story.
No, it doesn't. Not everything that has to do with race is racist. The inferior/superior part is missing.
To quote the Oxford dictionary:
racism
noun

1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
‘a program to combat racism’

1.1 The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
‘theories of racism’

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
So far so good but we are getting very close to thee “line”.
Let’s not let this turn into something ugly that gets locked or removed.

It is what it is but please choose your words with a moment of thought.

Anybody care to speculate what the NFL will do in response to the Raiders?

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":sv1y7m9i said:
mrt144":sv1y7m9i said:
WmHBonney":sv1y7m9i said:

Just a bit naive. Although Jerry Richardson is selling the Panthers...[/
Ummm no. One of the easiest ways to get your team publicity is to hire an African American. Top that with one that is highly qualified why wouldn't an owner hire them?

No rule had to be implemented when African Americans starting playing football in the NFL, why does one need to be put in order for coaching? Also, where is the outrage about how many white owners there are in NFL? You want to get rid of racism stop including race. I am totally fine with 66% of players in the NFL being black even though African Americans only make up only 13% of the country. I only care about winning and every one is a human being.

Thats why I said just a bit? Like, there are obvious ways to get around the rule or pay token mind to it. On the other hand, it serves a purpose of explicitly making minority coaches hard to ignore as existing at all. So yah, it's kind of a dog and pony show but it still serves a purpose, especially in an environment where some owners are absolutely, well, racially bent, like Richardson.

I hear ya, you want a post racial world now, but its constant, vigilant baby steps.

chris98251

Reaction score
pmedic920":1hrjurb9 said:

With the Raiders moving to Las Vegas there will be a wrist slap, Gruden is good for the Shield, if Al still was alive there would be a pit dug and a sacrificial draft pick or more roasted in that pit.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
pmedic920":380yegu9 said:

I think they will try everything in their power to find that there was no violation. If there is evidence they did violate it, and the NFL can’t hide it, I suspect they will lay down the hammer.