The rule that needs to be fixed.

hinton

Reaction score
DPI.

It almost feels like if a team needs a first down a 20+ yard lofted pass allows enough time for either a collision (flag almost always thrown), or the reciever to get enough separation to make the pass.

I get that it’s a difficult call for the refs to make, but to me a free first down in addition to the yardage is a double penalty on the defense. Also a massive momentum switch.

original poster

Reaction score
If it was changed to a 15 yarder watch every defender cause DPI on just about every 20+ yard play.

It’s pretty much a lose/lose situation, unfortunately.

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
original poster":2rvrfxsd said:
If it was changed to a 15 yarder watch every defender cause DPI on just about every 20+ yard play.

Agree that it’s a lose/lose, but if defenders keep doing it then keep throwing the flags and giving first downs.

chris98251

Reaction score
If it was a 15 yarder every DB would rake or interfere rather they allow a TD or a first down if it was greater then 15 yards to get it. The deterrent is the ball placement.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":5ht3n9t1 said:
If it was a 15 yarder every DB would rake or interfere rather they allow a TD or a first down if it was greater then 15 yards to get it. The deterrent is the ball placement.
Then the officiating needs to get better. They need to call PI like they did in the 80’s.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts on this.

Why is it that when it is OPI, it's a 10 yard penalty, yet when it is DPI you get the ball at the spot of the foul? That just isn't fair.

I like how college used PI. It should be 15 yards and an auto first down. However, they need to make sure corners don't blatantly tackle WR's when they are beat knowing it will only be 15 yards. So I would do something similar to basketball, something like a normal foul and a flagrant foul. A flagrant PI would be a spot foul, where as a smaller PI would just be the 15 yards.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2z0yaz3m said:
chris98251":2z0yaz3m said:
Then the officiating needs to get better. They need to call PI like they did in the 80’s.

Well balanced calls and a clear determination of what contact is allowed would help.

original poster

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":167x5xmm said:

Why is it that when it is OPI, it's a 10 yard penalty, yet when it is DPI you get the ball at the spot of the foul? That just isn't fair.

I like how college used PI. It should be 15 yards and an auto first down. However, they need to make sure corners don't blatantly tackle WR's when they are beat knowing it will only be 15 yards. So I would do something similar to basketball, something like a normal foul and a flagrant foul. A flagrant PI would be a spot foul, where as a smaller PI would just be the 15 yards.

Quite simply the league wants points to be scored.

It’s not fair but I really can’t see it changing.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
original poster":1wky9562 said:

chris98251":1wky9562 said:

I dunno. Why do we automatically assume this would happen? This doesn't seem to be a huge problem in college games. A fifteen-yarder that extends a game-changing drive is still a pretty big price to pay. I don't think it's at all obvious that we'll just see everybody get hauled down past the 15-yard marker.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":107glwq2 said:

That just complicates things more. I'd rather not give the refs or the league office the ability to decide what is flagrant and what is not.

chris98251

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1h7b2rjm said:
original poster":1h7b2rjm said:

chris98251":1h7b2rjm said:

I dunno. Why do we automatically assume this would happen? This doesn't seem to be a huge problem in college games. A fifteen-yarder that extends a game-changing drive is still a pretty big price to pay. I don't think it's at all obvious that we'll just see everybody get hauled down past the 15-yard marker.

Give them points or a first down or force them to make another try that you can defense and possibly get a turn over, I played DB and would take the penalty with the Coaches blessing every time, especially late in the game.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have when they call DPI is when the ball is clearly not catchable or the ball lands 2 plus yards out of bounds and they still call it, at worst it should be illegal contact, not DPI.

The first one in the Jags/Pats game today wasn't catchable from what I saw AND the receiver created as much contact if not more as the defensive player so it should have been a no call IMO.

BORING SB coming up.

GO HAWKS!!!

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
chris98251":2lg5rn7n said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":2lg5rn7n said:
original poster":2lg5rn7n said:

chris98251":2lg5rn7n said:

Give them points or a first down or force them to make another try that you can defense and possibly get a turn over, I played DB and would take the penalty with the Coaches blessing every time, especially late in the game.
Regardless of your experience, I still don't think this is really something that's a widespread issue in the college game. I can't ever remember it happening, or anyone ever remarking on it happening.

So I think there's a basic question that remains open: Why is the pro game vulnerable to this cynical style of play but the big-time college game is not? I'm having a hard time seeing a reason.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1oqfhcep said:
Sports Hernia":1oqfhcep said:
chris98251":1oqfhcep said:

Well balanced calls and a clear determination of what contact is allowed would help.
Absolutely.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
original poster":1v4a3ikp said:

You don't see that in college, why would it be different in the NFL?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trrrroy":8blp3zxn said:
original poster":8blp3zxn said:

You don't see that in college, why would it be different in the NFL?
That’s actually a solid point.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Make it a challengeable call. “Clear and obvious” could still apply (but for the sake of avoiding a madhouse, you should only be able to challenge CALLED PI).

gowazzu02

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3hsjt0ga said:
Make it a challengeable call. “Clear and obvious” could still apply (but for the sake of avoiding a madhouse, you should only be able to challenge CALLED PI).

NO no more challenging please! We already challenge every other play, opening up penalties is pandoras box.

I agree the spot foul aspect is just ridiculous. When in doubt chuck it deep and hope for DPI. I like the college system, WR's getting tackled down field isn't some epidemic at that level, why would it be in the nfl.

Msfann

Reaction score
I would get rid of PI for anything other than tackling the guy. Let them bump and grab, if you say you are so good then catch it anyway.