Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Patriots In Yet Another Super Bowl

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Patriots In Yet Another Super Bowl
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:00 pm
  • I'm jealous, but its getting old. Hopefully Brady retires soon.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Re: Patriots In Yet Another Super Bowl
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm
  • He only has 4 fingers left after this year...he wins at least 2 more.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm
  • It astounds me to no end how one human being can elevate average players to such heights of greatness year after year after year. There's nothing dynamic or powerful about the Patriots as a team. You take Brady away and they are an average AFC team.

I guess you can argue that's the case for a lot of teams, but it especially holds true with the Patriots. The Amedolas, the Edleman's of the world...These are ho-hum average guys on most teams. With Brady they are unstoppable.

Kudos I guess, but enough already. Can't WAIT for the Patriots to be irrelevant again.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:15 pm
  • I never got to see Ali, Babe Ruth, and only saw a little of Jordan, but I did get to witness Brady.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I never got to see Ali, Babe Ruth, and only saw a little of Jordan, but I did get to witness Brady.

I saw all of them.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm
  • SixSeahawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I never got to see Ali, Babe Ruth, and only saw a little of Jordan, but I did get to witness Brady.

I saw all of them.

You saw Babe Ruth? How old are you? If that's true, are they truly the greats at their sports?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm
  • We all saw Charlie Whitehurst...legendary!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I never got to see Ali, Babe Ruth, and only saw a little of Jordan, but I did get to witness Brady.

Throw in Reggie Jackson, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and Nolan Ryan.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:40 pm
  • Eight Super Bowls in seventeen seasons is just ridiculous.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:55 pm
  • Aros wrote:It astounds me to no end how one human being can elevate average players to such heights of greatness year after year after year. There's nothing dynamic or powerful about the Patriots as a team. You take Brady away and they are an average AFC team.

I guess you can argue that's the case for a lot of teams, but it especially holds true with the Patriots. The Amedolas, the Edleman's of the world...These are ho-hum average guys on most teams. With Brady they are unstoppable.

Kudos I guess, but enough already. Can't WAIT for the Patriots to be irrelevant again.

It's very much the combination of Brady and Belichick tbh. Coaching is colossal in the post-season.

Eagles in the NFC are a prime example.
    Beren
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm
  • Aros wrote:It astounds me to no end how one human being can elevate average players to such heights of greatness year after year after year.

I'm pretty sure that if you paired Brady up with a coach with scruples and put him into a division where he didn't get six byes a year for his entire career, you'd have Matt Hasselbeck with a dreamier chin dimple.

To me, the most impressive thing these Patriots have done is capitalize on their structural advantage to the hilt. Not as easy as it sounds.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Eagles as much as I hate seeing them win have the mentality we used to have and swag.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm
  • Backup QB hanging 38 and probably more to come on the Vikings' "elite" defense, lmao.

Man, people need to stop counting on raw number stats so much. There were signs that both the Vikings and Jaguars defenses were not anywhere near as elite as they looked on paper.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:15 pm
  • Well this MIGHT be one of what 2? Bradys in that doesnt a bunch of controversy surrounding it .. so far... either way bleh if they win im done with this joke called the "NFL" itll mean as much as WWE to me and thats = Shit
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 pm
  • I will be in Vegas during the Superbowl. I do not plan on watching it. I will find something more constructive to do. If I bet a hundred dollars on the Pats I would probably make about 2 dollars. No drama there.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm
  • Beren wrote:
    Aros wrote:It astounds me to no end how one human being can elevate average players to such heights of greatness year after year after year. There's nothing dynamic or powerful about the Patriots as a team. You take Brady away and they are an average AFC team.

It's very much the combination of Brady and Belichick tbh. Coaching is colossal in the post-season.

Eagles in the NFC are a prime example.

Their record without Brady is still pretty good. You take Brady away I think NE still wins games. You take Bill away, not so much.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm
  • SixSeahawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I never got to see Ali, Babe Ruth, and only saw a little of Jordan, but I did get to witness Brady.

I saw all of them.

BS you would have to be 150 years old to remember Ruth playing. He was playing 100 years ago.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:14 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    SixSeahawk wrote:

I saw all of them.

BS you would have to be 150 years old to remember Ruth playing. He was playing 100 years ago.

Maybe he is a time traveler???

I’m spit balling here...... 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 am
  • Late 80's Niners would put a beating on this team. Along with 86 Giants, late 80's Redskins and mid 80's Bears.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 am
  • It’s tiresome, but give them credit for doing their job.

Still bugs me that they’re almost guaranteed playoff berth, and not a WC berth, every year. Name the last quality division team. The couple years the Jets had Pennington? Even they weren’t that good. Before that it was Jim Kelly and the Bills in 93 (cough, cough...before Bill and Brady).

Seems most of the other divisions have surges of real competition arise. Look at NFC West, it’s championship caliber coming from all parts. And while it helps toughen those team, it’s an odds game. Quality teams always in the playoffs, will always win more.

The Hooded One is a master coach for sure and Brady top shelf. Worked out for the Pats. But I remember when they were doormats and they’ll get there again when Bill is gone.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:34 am
  • An honest question. When was the last time anyone challenged them in their division and went very far in the division? Since 2001 only the Jets and Dolphins have won that conference and both of them lost in the playoffs. Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets have been pigs for a long time. I am not saying that New England did not deserve to win but they are almost always guaranteed to be in the playoffs with the division they are in. It has been weak for years. It was kind of like our division a few years ago. Our division has changed a lot with our conference switches. We started in the NFC, went to the AFC and then back to the NFC. We have gone from being one of the weakest divisions to one of the strongest in a very short time. The Niners and Rams should be tough next year and despite AZ's record they play us tough.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 am
  • :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:
    Sign37now
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 am
  • BigBill1945 wrote:An honest question. When was the last time anyone challenged them in their division and went very far in the division? Since 2001 only the Jets and Dolphins have won that conference and both of them lost in the playoffs. Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets have been pigs for a long time. I am not saying that New England did not deserve to win but they are almost always guaranteed to be in the playoffs with the division they are in. It has been weak for years. It was kind of like our division a few years ago. Our division has changed a lot with our conference switches. We started in the NFC, went to the AFC and then back to the NFC. We have gone from being one of the weakest divisions to one of the strongest in a very short time. The Niners and Rams should be tough next year and despite AZ's record they play us tough.

I've been saying this for a decade.

The Pats have feasted on the dumpster fire that is the AFC East for going on 15 years now. Doesn't mean they're not a great team, they most certainly are.

But it has been one of the main reasons they keep getting the #1 seed seemingly every year and go to SB's. They have a 4-5 game head start on the rest of the AFC cause every other team in the AFC East never gets good enough to make it difficult for the Pats.

HFA is EVERYTHING in the playoffs, especially when you get to the divisional and championship rounds.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:59 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:HFA is EVERYTHING in the playoffs, especially when you get to the divisional and championship rounds.

While I certainly agree with you, I still have to laugh at the 'anything can happen if you make it in' battle cry that was so prominent around here during the season. It really does matter.

As for the AFC East division, has anybody ever wondered if the Patriots are the reason the other teams look so bad? The Pats usually beat teams outside of their division too and have won plenty of Super Bowls.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:HFA is EVERYTHING in the playoffs, especially when you get to the divisional and championship rounds.

While I certainly agree with you, I still have to laugh at the 'anything can happen if you make it in' battle cry that was so prominent around here during the season. It really does matter.

As for the AFC East division, has anybody ever wondered if the Patriots are the reason the other teams look so bad? The Pats usually beat teams outside of their division too and have won plenty of Super Bowls.

Surely that is part of it. But AFC east excluding the Pats have had an unimpressive record outside their league too. There is much greater odds you will come out ahead with home cooking too.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:04 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:As for the AFC East division, has anybody ever wondered if the Patriots are the reason the other teams look so bad? The Pats usually beat teams outside of their division too and have won plenty of Super Bowls.

Then why are most of their losses in any year outside the division.

Yes once in a while they lose a game like they did this year in Miami, but look at their conference record the past 15 years, it's most always 5-1 or 6-0.

Again, that's a 4-5 game cushion over the entire AFC year after year. So no one can tell me this is not one of the MAJOR factors they're going for their 6th Lombardi.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 pm
  • lobohawk wrote:It’s tiresome, but give them credit for doing their job.

Still bugs me that they’re almost guaranteed playoff berth, and not a WC berth, every year. Name the last quality division team. The couple years the Jets had Pennington? Even they weren’t that good. Before that it was Jim Kelly and the Bills in 93 (cough, cough...before Bill and Brady).

Seems most of the other divisions have surges of real competition arise. Look at NFC West, it’s championship caliber coming from all parts. And while it helps toughen those team, it’s an odds game. Quality teams always in the playoffs, will always win more.

The Hooded One is a master coach for sure and Brady top shelf. Worked out for the Pats. But I remember when they were doormats and they’ll get there again when Bill is gone.

This is the argument ive made about that shitty division on here but nobody wants to agree

In OUR division EVERY TEAM has been to the Superbowl since Brady has been in the league...EVERY SINGLE ONE. The NFC W actually has 6 SB appearances since Brady has been in the league.

The best QB from the other 3 teams combined has been what Pennington, maybe an old Favre for a year or two....There have been 43 other starting QBs in the AFC East from the other 3 teams...that is flipping rediculous.

Dolphins
    John Beck, Daunte Culpepper, A.J. Feeley, Jay Fiedler, Gus Frerotte, Trent Green, Brian Griese, Joey Harrington, Chad Henne, Cleo Lemon, Ray Lucas, Matt Moore, Chad Pennington, Sage Rosenfels, Ryan Tannehill and Tyler Thigpen.

Bills
    Drew Bledsoe, Brian Brohm, Matt Cassel, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kelly Holcomb, Rob Johnson, Thaddeus Lewis, J.P. Losman, EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor, Jeff Tuel and Alex Van Pelt

Jets
    Brooks Bollinger, Quincy Carter, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Greg McElroy, Chad Pennington, Bryce Petty, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Vinny Testaverde and Mike Vick.

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BigBill1945 wrote:An honest question. When was the last time anyone challenged them in their division and went very far in the division? Since 2001 only the Jets and Dolphins have won that conference and both of them lost in the playoffs. Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets have been pigs for a long time. I am not saying that New England did not deserve to win but they are almost always guaranteed to be in the playoffs with the division they are in. It has been weak for years. It was kind of like our division a few years ago. Our division has changed a lot with our conference switches. We started in the NFC, went to the AFC and then back to the NFC. We have gone from being one of the weakest divisions to one of the strongest in a very short time. The Niners and Rams should be tough next year and despite AZ's record they play us tough.

The Pats have feasted on the dumpster fire that is the AFC East for going on 15 years now. Doesn't mean they're not a great team, they most certainly are.

But it has been one of the main reasons they keep getting the #1 seed seemingly every year and go to SB's. They have a 4-5 game head start on the rest of the AFC cause every other team in the AFC East never gets good enough to make it difficult for the Pats.

HFA is EVERYTHING in the playoffs, especially when you get to the divisional and championship rounds.

If I may, NE's winning pct within the division is almost identical to their winning pct outside the division. In a typical season they go either 5-1 or 4-2 in the division, and 13-3 or 12-4 overall. Same win rate.
    50yrpatsfan
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 pm
  • 50yrpatsfan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BigBill1945 wrote:An honest question. When was the last time anyone challenged them in their division and went very far in the division? Since 2001 only the Jets and Dolphins have won that conference and both of them lost in the playoffs. Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets have been pigs for a long time. I am not saying that New England did not deserve to win but they are almost always guaranteed to be in the playoffs with the division they are in. It has been weak for years. It was kind of like our division a few years ago. Our division has changed a lot with our conference switches. We started in the NFC, went to the AFC and then back to the NFC. We have gone from being one of the weakest divisions to one of the strongest in a very short time. The Niners and Rams should be tough next year and despite AZ's record they play us tough.

If I may, NE's winning pct within the division is almost identical to their winning pct outside the division. In a typical season they go either 5-1 or 4-2 in the division, and 13-3 or 12-4 overall. Same win rate.

The entire AFC is usually garbage though and usually very top heavy....

You have the Pats....usually the Steelers/Ravens and then whatever team Manning was on

Those 4 teams also the only ones to go to the Superbowl I believe in the whole time Brady has been there

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm
  • WilsonMVP wrote:
    50yrpatsfan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

The entire AFC is usually garbage though and usually very top heavy....

You have the Pats....usually the Steelers/Ravens and then whatever team Manning was on

Those 4 teams also the only ones to go to the Superbowl I believe in the whole time Brady has been there

I would say that is pretty accurate.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:Late 80's Niners would put a beating on this team. Along with 86 Giants, late 80's Redskins and mid 80's Bears.

I disagree. The size/speed difference between today's teams and those teams from the 80s/90s is huge. "The Hogs" averaged 273lbs. That is nothing in today's game.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Late 80's Niners would put a beating on this team. Along with 86 Giants, late 80's Redskins and mid 80's Bears.

I disagree. The size/speed difference between today's teams and those teams from the 80s/90s is huge. "The Hogs" averaged 273lbs. That is nothing in today's game.

Yes, the absolutist view of these "all-time arguments" can get really lame really fast.

Those players on are all in their 50's and 60's so yes a team of players in their 20's would kill them.

It is pure fantasy and conjecture. The teams that won before free agency are not that impressive anymore, sure it was fun that you got to know all the players on every team but if your team sucked your team was going to suck for a long time.

The 49ers had Steve Young on the bench for almost a decade before he took over. That would never happen today. That Cowboys team could have won 4 Superbowls in a row if it was not for free agency.

As for the Patriots. They are to Cobra Kai dojo of the NFL, they sweep the leg every time. They get old on offense and stay young on defense.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 am
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:Late 80's Niners would put a beating on this team. Along with 86 Giants, late 80's Redskins and mid 80's Bears.

Yeah, lot of variables. Today's rules vs. 80's rules. The 89 49ers though were just sick. Everyone remembers their offense but their defense was one of the best too.

Also let us not forget the 96 Packers who had the #1 offense and the #1 defense in the NFL. Almost unheard of today and 1996 was in the FA era.
    Last edited by seahawkfreak on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 am
  • My knee-jerk reaction is to say "bleh" over nothing but Brady, Brady, Brady in the playoffs and usually the Super Bowl. I don't like him, and I don't like the Pats. I'd love to see the other teams win that division. But I temper those thoughts with the knowledge we are truly seeing one of the greats. As much as we (as rival fans) hate to see him win, there has to be a certain respect and admiration for the way he plays the game.

Sure, the division is crap. And usually that means the team that wins it wins too easily and is a lot softer than it seems on paper. The Colts come to mind there. For a long while, perennial easy winners of a crap division with two back-to-back solid quarterbacks, and they have one Super Bowl to show for it, against a flash-in-the-pan Bears team. The Colts played in a crappy division and it showed.

The Patriots, on the other hand, are the opposite. They play in a crappy division, but are not crappy to show for it. They're always tough. They have an astounding record in the playoffs, and the Super Bowl wins to prove it. They find a way to win, no matter what, and a lot of that fact is due to Brady.

Like it or not, he's a special player. Refs, crappy division, pretty boy, it's only because Belechick is his coach: no matter your argument, it's hard to argue he isn't really pretty special, and we're seeing a great player live and in person with him.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 am
  • BigBill1945 wrote:I will be in Vegas during the Superbowl. I do not plan on watching it. I will find something more constructive to do. If I bet a hundred dollars on the Pats I would probably make about 2 dollars. No drama there.

I'll be there too. I want the Eagles to win, but I'd be hesitant to take them at the current Philly +5 1/2.
    If that grows significantly, I'd feel better.
    replicant
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:42 am
  • WmHBonney wrote:

Depends on which era's rules you're using.

You gonna let Ronnie Lott and Charles Haley hit Brady and company? Or are they going to be flagged 20 times a game for breathing on the WR's wrong like today's rules?

I'd put Montana, Rice, Clark, Francis, Craig and that nasty defense with hall of famers all over it up against any team in history, especially the Patriots of today.

Brady may be the GOAT, but there's literally NO ONE else on the Pat's roster right now that'd even crack those Niner rosters.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

You gonna let Ronnie Lott and Charles Haley hit Brady and company? Or are they going to be flagged 20 times a game for breathing on the WR's wrong like today's rules?

I'd put Montana, Rice, Clark, Francis, Craig and that nasty defense with hall of famers all over it up against any team in history, especially the Patriots of today.

Brady may be the GOAT, but there's literally NO ONE else on the Pat's roster right now that'd even crack those Niner rosters.

I totally agree with you. I loved the Niners back then until I came to Seattle. I started to dislike the Niners when Harbaugh coached them.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

It's really silly to compare eras. And your argument about rules would hold water the Patriots played by today's rules, and the 49ers played by 80s rules within the same game. And even then, the size and speed difference would be remarkable and I don't know if it would even matter.

And that's not even mentioning the evolution in coaching and schemes, as the west coast offense that was run by those 49ers would be very vanilla and easily out-schemed by any competent coach today.
    Mindsink
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am
  • I honestly love it... it's like the 90s era Bulls.

A team to hate. Beat the best... makes for drama.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:12 am
  • There is always this....Sorry FEF....
    Attachments
    Eaglefans.jpg
    Eaglefans.jpg (130.2 KiB) Viewed 295 times
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 am
  • Mindsink wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

It's really silly to compare eras. And your argument about rules would hold water the Patriots played by today's rules, and the 49ers played by 80s rules within the same game. And even then, the size and speed difference would be remarkable and I don't know if it would even matter.

And that's not even mentioning the evolution in coaching and schemes, as the west coast offense that was run by those 49ers would be very vanilla and easily out-schemed by any competent coach today.

Lol, we're not comparing the 1940's, the 80's and 90's weren't that long ago. Again, please tell me other than Brady, and maybe Gronk who on the current Patriot's team even cracks the starting roster for those Niner or Cowboy teams loaded with All Pro's and HOF'ers?

Those are the two most talented rosters in the history of the NFL, save for the Steelers in the 70's. Remember, there was no hard cap yet, so teams like the Niners and Cowboys knew how to manipulate the soft cap and stack their rosters and dominate. That's WHY the NFL and owners came up with the penalty of dead cap money, because of these two teams.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Lol, we're not comparing the 1940's, the 80's and 90's weren't that long ago. Again, please tell me other than Brady, and maybe Gronk who on the current Patriot's team even cracks the starting roster for those Niner or Cowboy teams loaded with All Pro's and HOF'ers?

Those are the two most talented rosters in the history of the NFL, save for the Steelers in the 70's. Remember, there was no hard cap yet, so teams like the Niners and Cowboys knew how to manipulate the soft cap and stack their rosters and dominate. That's WHY the NFL and owners came up with the penalty of dead cap money, because of these two teams.

"Not that long ago".

That means either...

1.) You don't think (or don't realize) that the great 49ers team you speak of were in their prime in the late 80s (which was about 30 years ago)

2.) You don't think 30 years is enough time for the evolution of athletes to reach any significant differences in size, speed, and strength.

Rewind the clock back to the late 80s, and you'd find it silly if someone told you that the great Green Back Packers teams from the 60s (which comparatively would be a less time span between eras) would be able to compete against Joe Montana & Co.
    Mindsink
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 am
  • Mindsink wrote:
    That means either...

1.) You don't think (or don't realize) that the great 49ers team you speak of were in their prime in the late 80s (which was about 30 years ago)

2.) You don't think 30 years is enough time for the evolution of athletes to reach any significant differences in size, speed, and strength.

Nope, I don't.

Football is football, you throw, you run, you tackle, you scheme and you execute.............and you're telling me that arguably the greatest roster and coaches of all time wouldn't beat this Pat's team because "modern times."

Go down the rosters, there's not a huge size or speed difference. So I don't even know what you're talking about.

What I do know is Montana, Clark, Craig, Rice, Haley, Lott and company are some of the greatest players of all time, and most importantly the most clutch players of all time............and if you allowed them to play and hit like they did in the 80's? Not even close for me.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:
    That means either...

Nope, I don't.

Football is football, you throw, you run, you tackle, you scheme and you execute.............and you're telling me that arguably the greatest roster and coaches of all time wouldn't beat this Pat's team because "modern times."

Go down the rosters, there's not a huge size or speed difference. So I don't even know what you're talking about.

What I do know is Montana, Clark, Craig, Rice, Haley, Lott and company are some of the greatest players of all time, and most importantly the most clutch players of all time............and if you allowed them to play and hit like they did in the 80's? Not even close for me.

You could go on and on with the talent with that team. O-Line was ridiculous too. Harris Barton, Guy McIntyre, Bubba Paris and Jesse Sapolu. Those guys could easily play in todays era regardless of the rules.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd put Montana, Rice, Clark, Francis, Craig and that nasty defense with hall of famers all over it up against any team in history, especially the Patriots of today.

No doubt. 5 SB wins, all by the skin of their teeth in the waning moments with the help of poor strategy and/or execution by their opponent. They've never dominated anyone in the big game, not even close. 5 titles by a combined 19 points in games that could have gone either way. That's a little over half of what we beat Denver by. I mean good for them, but it just goes to show how much tougher the NFC is for them when they're not playing in that cakewalk division and conference over there.

XXXVII - 3 points, last minute FG
    XXXVIII - 3 points, last minute FG
    XXXIX - 3 points
    XLIX - 4 points, last minute INT
    XLI - 6 points, last minute TD and 2-pt XP to force OT

And it's not just them. Since 2003, every SB but one has been Brady, Ben, or Peyton. Flacco combo-breaking that one year which would have been another Peyton appearance. Get some competition already, AFC.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:
    That means either...

Nope, I don't.

It's always a mistake to evaluate the Patriots on the basis of individual talent. That said, they do have Brady the best QB of all time, Belichick the best HC of all time, Gronk the best TE of all time, and guys like Edelman-Amendola-McCourty-Hightower. In their past SB teams they had Moss, Dillon, Law, McGinest, Seymour, Wilfork, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Welker, and Samuel. I count 8 or 9 that would have started for the 49ers, plus the HC.
    The 04-05 teams were among the greatest in history (back to back 17-2), not to mention the 07 team that went 18-1.
    50yrpatsfan
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 am
  • 50yrpatsfan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:
    That means either...

Nope, I don't.

It's always a mistake to evaluate the Patriots on the basis of individual talent. That said, they do have Brady the best QB of all time, Belichick the best HC of all time, Gronk the best TE of all time, and guys like Edelman-Amendola-McCourty-Hightower. In their past SB teams they had Moss, Dillon, Law, McGinest, Seymour, Wilfork, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Welker, and Samuel. I count 8 or 9 that would have started for the 49ers, plus the HC.
    The 04-05 teams were among the greatest in history (back to back 17-2), not to mention the 07 team that went 18-1.

I would give previous Patriot teams a better chance, especially the early title teams with Harrison, Law, McGinest, Seymour etc. VERY underrated defenses.

My opinion is strictly based on the past 3-4 years of Patriots teams, that I think while masterfully led by Brady and coached by Belichick, wouldn't stand a chance against the power teams of the Cowboys or Niners of the 80's and 90's.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    50yrpatsfan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:
    That means either...

Nope, I don't.

I would give previous Patriot teams a better chance, especially the early title teams with Harrison, Law, McGinest, Seymour etc. VERY underrated defenses.

My opinion is strictly based on the past 3-4 years of Patriots teams, that I think while masterfully led by Brady and coached by Belichick, wouldn't stand a chance against the power teams of the Cowboys or Niners of the 80's and 90's.

You def could be right. These last few years have been an adventure each time, and a real turn-style of players. There's only about 11-12 players (incl special teams) left from the team that played the Hawks in the SB 3 years ago, none on the front 7 except Branch who hardly dresses now.
    50yrpatsfan
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm
  • It's hard to talk shit about a team that has been to 9 Super Bowls and won 5 of them, but here's an interesting fact:

Patriots SB Record: 5-4
    Patriots SB point differential: -38

Seahawks SB Record: 1-2
    Seahawks SB point differential: +20

The Patriots are good, no denying that, but they're not a dominant team. Their most dominant SB win came against Philly, which they won 24-21 after the Eagles scored an oh-by-the-way touchdown with less than 2 minutes remaining to cut into the Patriots 10 point lead. Their wins have been by 3, 3, 3, 4, and 6. Meanwhile, that still doesn't make up for their 36 point loss to the Bears in '85. Add in their '96 loss to the Packers, and it's -50.
    "WHOA, NELLIE!"

RIP Keith Jackson, 1928-2018
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm
  • I’m rooting for the eagles. PNW Kid from Spokane, I graduated and played football and track with him. He plays for the Eagles Bryan Braman. Kid was a physical freak in high school, not entirely fast but did damn good in all the field events for track.
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information