Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What have you learned from the Playoffs so far?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • As much as I wanted to make the playoffs, as I felt the NFC was wide open. We needed changes. And hopefully those changes work out well

The final four this year, The Patriots, Vikings, Jaguars, and Eagles all seem to dominate up front. The Jaguars are known for being super physical and disrupting O-lines. The Vikings were known all year for having a great line on both sides of the ball. The Patriots obviously, protect Tom easily. Aside from the first half yesterday, Belicheck made adjustments and Brady had all day to throw.

And then obviously the Eagles, they are by far the best up front on both sides of the ball. Behind that all 4 teams had good to really good running backs.

So as our Hawks look to return to championship form, the burden is now on Pete, Schotty and Solari to bring that dominance to our team. What about everyone else? What have you taken away from the playoffs that can apply to our team.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Pats 46 rushing yards and Jags 101. I'll be looking to see if Philly can run the ball vs Pats and if they'll stick with it. You know the Pats will try to stop the run and try to make Philly throw. If they succeed with that and make it a throw fest, Pats win.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

• I learned that I can survive just fine without watching.

:twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Pats are going to fall off a cliff when Brady and Belichick retire. Trading JG means they have no one in their system anymore to take over for Brady, at least for now. Plus it seems like they're losing both assistant HC's on top of some other positional coaches. The AFC east doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon, so likely barring injury another easy path for them to AFC championship. Jags should be better next year, that division actually might be pretty competitive with Watson in Houston.

Vikings will need a QB. Keenum did some nice things but is quite limited. Not sure if they're going to keep him, Bridgewater, and Bradford. Eagles have the blueprint to be good for awhile but also likely losing a lot of coaches.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• I've learned that we would have gotten smoked like a cheap cigar if we had been in the playoff with these teams this year.
    Sign37now
    NET Veteran

• No way the nfl is not crooked. No way the pats only commit 1 penalty. And it’s holding on a kickoff....I also learned I’m not watching the SB
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• All of the teams in the playoffs can protect the QB. Gitterdun.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I learned that the NFC was incredibly weak this year and we missed a perfect opportunity.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Watching the Patriots play just triggers my Bevell hatred. I will probably need to see him get picked-up somewhere and tank the team to a winless season to exercise this hatred.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

Foles sure didn't look mediocre last night.. Dude was on his game. The Eagles play that that in two week even Tom Terrific can't help them..
    Sign37now
    NET Veteran

• Sign37now wrote:
    Seymour wrote:What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

Foles sure didn't look mediocre last night.. Dude was on his game. The Eagles play that that in two week even Tom Terrific can't help them..

True, but Matt Flynn still holds the Packers single game TD and yardage records over Rodgers, Farve, Starr...ect. ;)

Quite a few mediocre QB's have had at least one pretty good season at some point.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I learned watching the Patriots what we've always known watching the Patriots.................EVERYTHING matters in the playoffs. The margins are so small, it all matters.

Preparation
    Execution
    Minimize mistakes
    Adjustments

The Jags did what every teams does against the Patriots with a lead, go conservative, make mistakes and stop executing.

It's why Pete needs to put the hammer down this off season on the nonsense. If that means getting rid of players who are no longer buying in? Then so be it, no matter how good of a player they are.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• That Tom Brady is football Jesus and I can't wait for him and the hoodie to retire.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Seymour wrote:What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

I see what you're saying Seymour, but I disagree to some extent. Without HFA, I doubt the Eagles win a single playoff game, and it was Wentz who played a huge role in getting them to 11-2 before he got hurt.

Keenum's limitations caught up to him in the end, although the Vikings offensive gamelan wasn't good either. Bortles had the Jags cruising, but couldn't make the plays when it came to crunch time.

I think these teams show us that we need to improve our playcalling and gameplanning to take stress off Russ. It's still good to know we can rely on him to make magic when most other QBs fold.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

But you also learned that to dominate for a 15 year period, having a good team around a sub par QB doesn't work...........and I guarantee you that's what the Vikings and Jags found out this weekend, and why I'd be shocked if Bortles or Keenum are back next year.

Sure teams can make the playoffs, and maybe even sneak into the NFC/AFC Championship game or the SB with a mediocre QB. But they usually don't win, and that model of success is certainly not sustainable.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• It's really hard to win on the road.

It's almost impossible to win on the road vs a good team when you have a mediocre to bad QB.

Keenum looked great in Minny, but on the road vs a good D he got beat by 30.....
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:
    Seymour wrote:What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

I see what you're saying Seymour, but I disagree to some extent. Without HFA, I doubt the Eagles win a single playoff game, and it was Wentz who played a huge role in getting them to 11-2 before he got hurt.

Keenum's limitations caught up to him in the end, although the Vikings offensive gamelan wasn't good either. Bortles had the Jags cruising, but couldn't make the plays when it came to crunch time.

I think these teams show us that we need to improve our playcalling and gameplanning to take stress off Russ. It's still good to know we can rely on him to make magic when most other QBs fold.

Yep, until 2017 showed us that taking that for granted gets you an early exit.

All these mediocre QB's look top 10 with good protection.

We turned our QB into a human ball rolled up into the fetal position for 1/2 the game by NOT protecting him.

I just hope he can return from his cocoon.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I have learned that I wish it was 2013-2014 again.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• You can't go conservative w/a lead vs. Brady, EVER.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seymour wrote:
    Sign37now wrote:

True, but Matt Flynn still holds the Packers single game TD and yardage records over Rodgers, Farve, Starr...ect. ;)

Quite a few mediocre QB's have had at least one pretty good season at some point.

Including Foles himself a few years ago....27TD 2INT with almost 3000 yards.

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• The league will be much different once #12 hangs em' up.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:It's really hard to win on the road.

It's almost impossible to win on the road vs a good team when you have a mediocre to bad QB.

Keenum looked great in Minny, but on the road vs a good D he got beat by 30.....

To be honest the Vikings offense has looked pretty meh since that loss in Carolina. 6TD 3INT in the 5 games following that loss. Their OL also had injuries toward the end of the year with not much depth. They had to shuffle the OL around a bit towards the end of the year and the OL was just average this year compared to god awful the year before.

Unless one of those 3 QBs take less money or a short deal I dont see any of the 3 coming back to the Vikings next year.

Vikings have 60 Million in cap and they arent losing much to FA other than Mckinnon, Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford and Newman who is going to be 40 years old playing CB

They may have to hand out extensions though...Hunter, Barr, Kendricks and Diggs are all FA NEXT year althoughTBH they should just let Barr and Hunter go....Keep Kendricks and Diggs

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Two things really stood out.

First, you have to win consistenly at the LOS.

Second, your team better be able to win without the starting QB playing.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

• I learned that Seattle isn't the only team that goes conservative waaayyyyyy too early in a game.....
    I also learned that Seattle isn't the only team to abandon whatever is working and then lose a game because of it.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• Tinymac2 wrote:Two things really stood out.

First, you have to win consistenly at the LOS.

Second, your team better be able to win without the starting QB playing.

Line play is what stands out to me year in and year out, and a finer point, DEPTH on the DL

For one example just look at the Cowboys last year and this year and their OL play. On the flipside if you have a DL that can get pressure with front 4 it helps your D out so much.

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:

The Jags had great success running the ball in the first half. Did anyone else notice that when the run plays stopped working in the 2nd half, the Jags stayed with them until the end? They didn't adjust and or change the plan of attack and at the bitter end tried to rely on the pass. No mixing it up, no change of direction. Felt a lot like the Seahawks of 2016, and 2017.

My take away is that NFL coaches have huge ego's and want to do things their way, and especially Pete Carrol, if it doesn't work were going to keep doing it until it does work. And when it doesn't work again, we will try to keep doing it, until it's obvious it isnt, then we play back yard ball and let the chips fall where they may.

The Hawks could have been a player in this years playoffs, but PC needs to coach to the strengths of his team. Unfortunately, Pete Carrol had a moron dictating the offensive line and run game the past 5 years and a OC who either had no balls to call PC out for the BS or was a major part of the problem.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

• That Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game and he continues to make stars of receivers who would otherwise be marginal NFL contributors.

The guy is freaking amazing. Period.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• semiahmoo wrote:That Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game and he continues to make stars of receivers who would otherwise be marginal NFL contributors.

The guy is freaking amazing. Period.

As good as Brady is...its the system, organization, and Bilicheck.

Without that Brady is just another Peyton Manning with 2 ...maybe 3 Superbowl wins in his career. Has to be the luckiest QB alive in NFL history with the GOAT coach and feasting on a weak AFC East and a TOP HEAVY AFC where there are really only 2 other teams to compete against most years

To make it to 12 AFC Championships it cant possibly be just Brady

WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• Having a legit Screen game his hugely important.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:I learned that the NFC was incredibly weak this year and we missed a perfect opportunity.

And got smoked at home by the Rams when we had the opportunity?
    My Tapatalk for Ipad is bigger than yours. Size matters.
    MeanBlueGreen
    NET Veteran

• You need to win at the LOS and the playoff teams all appeared to be on the same page better than we were.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information