What have you learned from the Playoffs so far?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
As much as I wanted to make the playoffs, as I felt the NFC was wide open. We needed changes. And hopefully those changes work out well

The final four this year, The Patriots, Vikings, Jaguars, and Eagles all seem to dominate up front. The Jaguars are known for being super physical and disrupting O-lines. The Vikings were known all year for having a great line on both sides of the ball. The Patriots obviously, protect Tom easily. Aside from the first half yesterday, Belicheck made adjustments and Brady had all day to throw.

And then obviously the Eagles, they are by far the best up front on both sides of the ball. Behind that all 4 teams had good to really good running backs.

So as our Hawks look to return to championship form, the burden is now on Pete, Schotty and Solari to bring that dominance to our team. What about everyone else? What have you taken away from the playoffs that can apply to our team.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Pats 46 rushing yards and Jags 101. I'll be looking to see if Philly can run the ball vs Pats and if they'll stick with it. You know the Pats will try to stop the run and try to make Philly throw. If they succeed with that and make it a throw fest, Pats win.

sutz

Reaction score
I learned that I can survive just fine without watching.

:twisted:

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pats are going to fall off a cliff when Brady and Belichick retire. Trading JG means they have no one in their system anymore to take over for Brady, at least for now. Plus it seems like they're losing both assistant HC's on top of some other positional coaches. The AFC east doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon, so likely barring injury another easy path for them to AFC championship. Jags should be better next year, that division actually might be pretty competitive with Watson in Houston.

Vikings will need a QB. Keenum did some nice things but is quite limited. Not sure if they're going to keep him, Bridgewater, and Bradford. Eagles have the blueprint to be good for awhile but also likely losing a lot of coaches.

Sign37now

Reaction score
I've learned that we would have gotten smoked like a cheap cigar if we had been in the playoff with these teams this year.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
No way the nfl is not crooked. No way the pats only commit 1 penalty. And it’s holding on a kickoff....I also learned I’m not watching the SB

StoneCold

Reaction score
All of the teams in the playoffs can protect the QB. Gitterdun.

Seymour

Reaction score
What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

Steve2222

Reaction score
I learned that the NFC was incredibly weak this year and we missed a perfect opportunity.

Threedee

Reaction score
Watching the Patriots play just triggers my Bevell hatred. I will probably need to see him get picked-up somewhere and tank the team to a winless season to exercise this hatred.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Seymour":2nw4ei9u said:
What I learned is Wilson may not be as crucial to our success as I once thought. See Keenum, Bortles, and Foles for prime examples of what a well balanced offense run within their strengths can accomplish with mediocre QB's (or sub-par as Earl put it).

Foles sure didn't look mediocre last night.. Dude was on his game. The Eagles play that that in two week even Tom Terrific can't help them..

Seymour

Reaction score
Sign37now":2l03b4jg said:
Seymour":2l03b4jg said:

Foles sure didn't look mediocre last night.. Dude was on his game. The Eagles play that that in two week even Tom Terrific can't help them..

True, but Matt Flynn still holds the Packers single game TD and yardage records over Rodgers, Farve, Starr...ect. ;)

Quite a few mediocre QB's have had at least one pretty good season at some point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I learned watching the Patriots what we've always known watching the Patriots.................EVERYTHING matters in the playoffs. The margins are so small, it all matters.

Preparation
Execution
Minimize mistakes
Adjustments

The Jags did what every teams does against the Patriots with a lead, go conservative, make mistakes and stop executing.

It's why Pete needs to put the hammer down this off season on the nonsense. If that means getting rid of players who are no longer buying in? Then so be it, no matter how good of a player they are.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That Tom Brady is football Jesus and I can't wait for him and the hoodie to retire.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":3iw7yfku said:

I see what you're saying Seymour, but I disagree to some extent. Without HFA, I doubt the Eagles win a single playoff game, and it was Wentz who played a huge role in getting them to 11-2 before he got hurt.

Keenum's limitations caught up to him in the end, although the Vikings offensive gamelan wasn't good either. Bortles had the Jags cruising, but couldn't make the plays when it came to crunch time.

I think these teams show us that we need to improve our playcalling and gameplanning to take stress off Russ. It's still good to know we can rely on him to make magic when most other QBs fold.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3phnpj2l said:

But you also learned that to dominate for a 15 year period, having a good team around a sub par QB doesn't work...........and I guarantee you that's what the Vikings and Jags found out this weekend, and why I'd be shocked if Bortles or Keenum are back next year.

Sure teams can make the playoffs, and maybe even sneak into the NFC/AFC Championship game or the SB with a mediocre QB. But they usually don't win, and that model of success is certainly not sustainable.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
It's really hard to win on the road.

It's almost impossible to win on the road vs a good team when you have a mediocre to bad QB.

Keenum looked great in Minny, but on the road vs a good D he got beat by 30.....

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":38qexra0 said:
Seymour":38qexra0 said:

I see what you're saying Seymour, but I disagree to some extent. Without HFA, I doubt the Eagles win a single playoff game, and it was Wentz who played a huge role in getting them to 11-2 before he got hurt.

Keenum's limitations caught up to him in the end, although the Vikings offensive gamelan wasn't good either. Bortles had the Jags cruising, but couldn't make the plays when it came to crunch time.

I think these teams show us that we need to improve our playcalling and gameplanning to take stress off Russ. It's still good to know we can rely on him to make magic when most other QBs fold.

Yep, until 2017 showed us that taking that for granted gets you an early exit.

All these mediocre QB's look top 10 with good protection.

We turned our QB into a human ball rolled up into the fetal position for 1/2 the game by NOT protecting him.

I just hope he can return from his cocoon.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have learned that I wish it was 2013-2014 again.