Congratulations to Pro Bowler Russell Okung!

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/955607356166950912[/tweet]

Russell Okung is so much better off playing in a disciplined Philip Rivers offense.

In his first season with the Chargers, Okung brought a veteran presence to the offensive line. He helped bolster a unit that allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL (18). His two sacks allowed (according to STATS LLC) equaled the best single-season effort of his career in which he played 10 or more games.

Additionally, Okung aided Melvin Gordon to rush for over 1,000 yards for the first time in his career, the Chargers ended up with the league’s top-ranked passing offense and Philip Rivers had one of his best seasons as a pro.
Russell Okung Named to 2018 Pro Bowl >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.chargers.com/news/2018/01/22/russell-okung-named-2018-pro-bowl[/urltargetblank]

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
The problem with Okung here was injuries ...from my perspective.....couldnt tie up that money in him when he was only playing half the time

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2aemfqm7 said:
The problem with Okung here was injuries ...from my perspective.....couldnt tie up that money in him when he was only playing half the time
Didn't he offer to play for $0 guaranteed after he left here? Makes me think he may have been a casualty of Cable more than anything...hard to say.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The previous pro bowl Okung attended was during the Tom Cable era in Seattle. Okung left as his own agent. His departure had little to do with Cable.

In the end, Max Unger, James Carpenter, Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, J.R. Sweezy and Okung all thrived under Cable but were all lost to cap or trade concessions.

I'm happy for Okung's good fortune with Philip Rivers and company. It all worked out for him.

hawkman

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1rk3wpt4 said:
hawkman":1rk3wpt4 said:
He would have been a very good fit on our 05 line.

Better than Walter Jones? :229031_confused2:

Of course not. Jones is probably the best in history. All I was trying to say is he would have fit in well on that amazing 05 line. 2 of the best five Seahawk lineman in history played that year. Okung is the fourth or fifth best lineman in Seahawk history, he would have fit in really well on than line on one side of the other of center.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Really wish we had found a way to keep Okung, but reports were that we may have offered more than the Broncos to keep him and he wanted to walk. I'm happy he is doing so well. Always seemed like a great guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":apqp31y4 said:
Sean Locklear was pretty damn good. They wouldn't need Brokung.

Except he needs to hide holding air better.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":lfob3irp said:
Russell Okung is so much better off playing in a disciplined Philip Rivers offense.

Okung was always solid here when he stayed on the field. A non-Cable OLC and he might have had more pro-bowls as well.