The XFL is coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
"The XFL is officially coming back.

"The new XFL will kickoff in 2020 and quite frankly we're going to give the game of football back to fans, " Vince McMahon said in a pres conference Thursday. "I'm sure everyone has a lot of questions for me, but I also have a lot of questions for you."

In the presser, McMahon posed the question: what would you do, if you could reimagine the game of profesional football?

McMahon and the XFL's answer is pretty simple and also vague.

"The new XFL will be fan-centric, with all the things you like to see and less of the things you don't," he said. "We will present a shorter, faster paced, family friendly and easier to understand game."

Mod Edit to add link: [urltargetblank]https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this-is-the-xfl-again-controversial-football-league-set-to-return-in-2020/[/urltargetblank]

chris98251

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":3km8xegg said:
"The XFL is officially coming back.

"The new XFL will kickoff in 2020 and quite frankly we're going to give the game of football back to fans, " Vince McMahon said in a pres conference Thursday. "I'm sure everyone has a lot of questions for me, but I also have a lot of questions for you."

In the presser, McMahon posed the question: what would you do, if you could reimagine the game of profesional football?

McMahon and the XFL's answer is pretty simple and also vague.

"The new XFL will be fan-centric, with all the things you like to see and less of the things you don't," he said. "We will present a shorter, faster paced, family friendly and easier to understand game."

Mod Edit to add link: [urltargetblank]https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this-is-the-xfl-again-controversial-football-league-set-to-return-in-2020/[/urltargetblank]

So in a round about way, violence, big hits and not a lot of flags with lots of scoring. Pretty much 70's style football.

Wonder how long before Johnny Football joins the XFL, perfect stage for him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Not much about the original XFL was "family friendly". Advertised as "more violent", edgy, and having scantily-clad cheerleaders dancing in the stands with fans...I wonder how much will actually change.

chris98251

Reaction score
It will be more like NFL without all the replay official stuff and more basic rules I think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1udasd9w said:
So in a round about way, violence, big hits and not a lot of flags with lots of scoring. Pretty much 70's style football.

Wonder how long before Johnny Football joins the XFL, perfect stage for him.

That's what was promised the first time around, so doesn't sound much different.

The problem wasn't the no fair catches, less penalties, faster paced games, getting to watch hot stripper looking cheerleaders in the locker rooms, or any of the other bells and whistles of the XFL.

The problem was the actual product on the field, it stunk cause the players just weren't very good. So how's that different this time around?

IMO the NFL is already over saturated with round the clock 24/7/365 days of coverage, MNF, TNF, SNF, etc. ad naseum............so this is the worst time for more watered down less talented football.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Awesome. Since his statement says he wants fan suggestions, I Tweeted at him saying take humans out of officiating and offer individual live games in HD for fans to purchase a la carte.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Hey Vince, as long as you have tons of money to piss away, you can throw some my way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2jrmduj8 said:
Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.

The NFL already has a farm league, it's called the NCAA............and it's free.

My idea for a 2nd league is to merge with the CFL, have north and south divisions with playoffs and a championship between a US and Canadian champ.

I think a lot of cities that don't have NFL teams would go for that, especially if they kept the CFL rules, which I think are pretty exciting.

Osprey

Reaction score

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dzawp042 said:
Trrrroy":dzawp042 said:

The NFL already has a farm league, it's called the NCAA............and it's free.

Exactly why it will never happen. That said, i would love a AAA for the NFL. Extend the draft to 14 or 16 rounds and instead of cutting guys, send em to down to Seahawks equvilent of the Rainiers.

ducks41468

Reaction score
I see no way that this works. Who is even the target audience? Especially if they run the games in January they're gonna be competing with NFL playoffs, NBA, NHL, NCAA basketball, and European soccer

DJrmb

Reaction score
I like this a lot and hope it succeeds. If you actually listen to the Q&A they did, this is not just bringing back the old XFL. It's going to be completely different from the sounds of it. So no, not more violence, and WWE type entertainment. It feels like they are really going for a more pure product and trying to correct some of the biggest complaints about the NFL now (overly complicated rules, tons of commercials, politics, refs steering games, etc.).

One of the main reasons I hope it succeeds is so the NFL feels pressure to change some of what's broken and turning away fans. The NFL really needs a reality check in my opinion, and maybe the XFL can provide that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’m not a rasslin’ fan but I liked a lot what Vince had to say in his under 2 minute promo I saw on ESPN’s website.
Even if it ultimately fails, if the NFL sees something that really works they’ll probably copy it.

The NFL as it currently stands is broken, maybe a little competition will force and pressure them to fix some things they are currently reluctant to.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The little music video they put together is kind of cool and also shines a little light on a few of the things they are targeting as changes to better the game.

[youtube]Epm5_DSfMn4[/youtube]

And here's the lyrics:
“THIS IS THE FUTURE.

THIS IS NOT THE PAST. THIS IS THE FUTURE.

AND THE FUTURE MOVES FAST.

THIS IS QUICKER, SIMPLER. RULES, REFORMED.

THIS IS YOUR GAME SAFER THIS IS FOOTBALL REBORN.

THIS IS GAMING AND FANTASY, THIS IS PADDED ROULETTE. MAKE A TRADE

MAKE A TEAM

MAKE A MOVE

MAKE A BET.

THIS IS FANS ABOVE ALL. THIS IS MAXIMUM ACTION. LESS STALL MORE BALL. FEWER INFRACTIONS.

THIS BEGINS IN 2020. THE FUTURE IS NEAR. MORE ACCESS.

MORE EVERYONE. MORE EVERYTHING HERE.

THIS IS OUR MOMENT, OUR STORY TO TELL. THIS IS HISTORY BEGUN. THIS IS THE XFL.”

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a chance...honestly getting tired of the legacy teams having to win all the time...the officiating...the steering...time is right for something new. Welcome to the XFL!!!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I will watch. I watched me some NFL Europe ans was sad to see it go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.