Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The XFL is coming back

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The XFL is coming back
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm
  • "The XFL is officially coming back.

"The new XFL will kickoff in 2020 and quite frankly we're going to give the game of football back to fans, " Vince McMahon said in a pres conference Thursday. "I'm sure everyone has a lot of questions for me, but I also have a lot of questions for you."

In the presser, McMahon posed the question: what would you do, if you could reimagine the game of profesional football?

McMahon and the XFL's answer is pretty simple and also vague.

"The new XFL will be fan-centric, with all the things you like to see and less of the things you don't," he said. "We will present a shorter, faster paced, family friendly and easier to understand game."

Mod Edit to add link: https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this-is-the-xfl-again-controversial-football-league-set-to-return-in-2020/
    Last edited by kidhawk on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Copyright issues (Link Added)
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

Re: The XFL is coming back
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm
  • SixSeahawk wrote:"The XFL is officially coming back.

"The new XFL will kickoff in 2020 and quite frankly we're going to give the game of football back to fans, " Vince McMahon said in a pres conference Thursday. "I'm sure everyone has a lot of questions for me, but I also have a lot of questions for you."

In the presser, McMahon posed the question: what would you do, if you could reimagine the game of profesional football?

McMahon and the XFL's answer is pretty simple and also vague.

"The new XFL will be fan-centric, with all the things you like to see and less of the things you don't," he said. "We will present a shorter, faster paced, family friendly and easier to understand game."

Mod Edit to add link: https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this-is-the-xfl-again-controversial-football-league-set-to-return-in-2020/

So in a round about way, violence, big hits and not a lot of flags with lots of scoring. Pretty much 70's style football.

Wonder how long before Johnny Football joins the XFL, perfect stage for him.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm
  • Not much about the original XFL was "family friendly". Advertised as "more violent", edgy, and having scantily-clad cheerleaders dancing in the stands with fans...I wonder how much will actually change.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 pm
  • It will be more like NFL without all the replay official stuff and more basic rules I think.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm
  • he hate me
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:40 pm
  • I don't see this as being more successful in this iteration with CTE being a thing now.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    So in a round about way, violence, big hits and not a lot of flags with lots of scoring. Pretty much 70's style football.

Wonder how long before Johnny Football joins the XFL, perfect stage for him.

That's what was promised the first time around, so doesn't sound much different.

The problem wasn't the no fair catches, less penalties, faster paced games, getting to watch hot stripper looking cheerleaders in the locker rooms, or any of the other bells and whistles of the XFL.

The problem was the actual product on the field, it stunk cause the players just weren't very good. So how's that different this time around?

IMO the NFL is already over saturated with round the clock 24/7/365 days of coverage, MNF, TNF, SNF, etc. ad naseum............so this is the worst time for more watered down less talented football.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:54 pm
  • Awesome. Since his statement says he wants fan suggestions, I Tweeted at him saying take humans out of officiating and offer individual live games in HD for fans to purchase a la carte.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm
  • Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.
    Last edited by Trrrroy on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:02 pm
  • Hey Vince, as long as you have tons of money to piss away, you can throw some my way.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:09 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.

The NFL already has a farm league, it's called the NCAA............and it's free.

My idea for a 2nd league is to merge with the CFL, have north and south divisions with playoffs and a championship between a US and Canadian champ.

I think a lot of cities that don't have NFL teams would go for that, especially if they kept the CFL rules, which I think are pretty exciting.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:My idea for a 2nd league is to merge with the CFL, have north and south divisions with playoffs and a championship between a US and Canadian champ.

I think a lot of cities that don't have NFL teams would go for that, especially if they kept the CFL rules, which I think are pretty exciting.

Welcome back to the 90s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League_in_the_United_States#Expansion
    Osprey
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:22 pm
  • Where Tom Cable can punch whoever he wants!
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:28 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.

The NFL already has a farm league, it's called the NCAA............and it's free.

Exactly why it will never happen. That said, i would love a AAA for the NFL. Extend the draft to 14 or 16 rounds and instead of cutting guys, send em to down to Seahawks equvilent of the Rainiers.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:50 pm
  • I see no way that this works. Who is even the target audience? Especially if they run the games in January they're gonna be competing with NFL playoffs, NBA, NHL, NCAA basketball, and European soccer
    ducks41468
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:12 pm
  • I like this a lot and hope it succeeds. If you actually listen to the Q&A they did, this is not just bringing back the old XFL. It's going to be completely different from the sounds of it. So no, not more violence, and WWE type entertainment. It feels like they are really going for a more pure product and trying to correct some of the biggest complaints about the NFL now (overly complicated rules, tons of commercials, politics, refs steering games, etc.).

One of the main reasons I hope it succeeds is so the NFL feels pressure to change some of what's broken and turning away fans. The NFL really needs a reality check in my opinion, and maybe the XFL can provide that.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:42 pm
  • I’m not a rasslin’ fan but I liked a lot what Vince had to say in his under 2 minute promo I saw on ESPN’s website.
    Even if it ultimately fails, if the NFL sees something that really works they’ll probably copy it.

The NFL as it currently stands is broken, maybe a little competition will force and pressure them to fix some things they are currently reluctant to.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:31 pm
  • The little music video they put together is kind of cool and also shines a little light on a few of the things they are targeting as changes to better the game.

And here's the lyrics:
    “THIS IS THE FUTURE.

THIS IS NOT THE PAST. THIS IS THE FUTURE.

AND THE FUTURE MOVES FAST.

THIS IS QUICKER, SIMPLER. RULES, REFORMED.

THIS IS YOUR GAME SAFER THIS IS FOOTBALL REBORN.

THIS IS GAMING AND FANTASY, THIS IS PADDED ROULETTE. MAKE A TRADE

MAKE A TEAM

MAKE A MOVE

MAKE A BET.

THIS IS FANS ABOVE ALL. THIS IS MAXIMUM ACTION. LESS STALL MORE BALL. FEWER INFRACTIONS.

THIS BEGINS IN 2020. THE FUTURE IS NEAR. MORE ACCESS.

MORE EVERYONE. MORE EVERYTHING HERE.

THIS IS OUR MOMENT, OUR STORY TO TELL. THIS IS HISTORY BEGUN. THIS IS THE XFL.”
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:38 pm
  • I'm gonna give it a chance...honestly getting tired of the legacy teams having to win all the time...the officiating...the steering...time is right for something new. Welcome to the XFL!!!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm
  • I will watch. I watched me some NFL Europe ans was sad to see it go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:07 pm
  • So fans need to send a message to Vince, take the most botched call on a NFL Sunday and sacrifice the Official till the rules and officiating are fixed. Think it would be a great Halftime Show.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 pm
  • Krappernick will get to play again. Guessing he is the first player signed
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:22 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.

It used to be a farm league. Now it is a spread no-huddle flag football league and line play is suffering at the NFL level.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m not a rasslin’ fan but I liked a lot what Vince had to say in his under 2 minute promo I saw on ESPN’s website.
    Even if it ultimately fails, if the NFL sees something that really works they’ll probably copy it.

The NFL as it currently stands is broken, maybe a little competition will force and pressure them to fix some things they are currently reluctant to.

That's the best possible outcome because we all know that this actually sticking in any meaningful manner is slim.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Krappernick will get to play again. Guessing he is the first player signed

Nope. No Krappernick. McMahon says he's not taking anybody who wants to push political agenda's. Also no Manziel. McMahon also said he's not taking anybody with a police record or whos even had incidents with the law, incuding all the way down to DUI's. Basically its going to be a bunch of church boys out there playing horrible football.

McMahon was asked by reporters specifically about Johnny Manziel, Colin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow playing in the XFL.
    Manziel, the former Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner, had had some legal issues, but his only criminal issue ended in a plea deal that will ultimately result in a dismissal. Kaepernick started the NFL movement to protest during the national anthem, which would not be allowed in McMahon's league. McMahon skirted ther status of both of those players and only specifically referenced Tebow.
    "You want someone who does not have any criminality associated whatsoever with them. Even if you have a DUI you will not play in the XFL," McMahon told reporters. "So that will probably eliminate some of them. Not all of them. If Tim Tebow wants to play, he can very well play."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2221 ... eturn-2020

If the over/under for successful seasons is set at 1, i'm taking the under.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 pm
  • I've also heard some speculate that this is all just a power play to try and buy the Carolina Panthers.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am
  • they should have a fixed helmet so a player's head won't turn. have total protection from head injuries. then, have cameras all around the outside of the helmet, so the player can look at a bunch of miniature screens inside the helmet, to see what is around.

then, have 'michelin man' uniforms, like a bunch of puffy tires, inflated with helium so the players can jump higher.

there would be less injuries, but more speed.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:09 am
  • Maybe it'll be an "unlimited league" where there is no drug testing and these dudes will be FREAK athletes.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 am
  • SixSeahawk wrote:"quite frankly we're going to give the game of football back to fans, "

I hope this means fans get to vote in real-time on whether that was a penalty.

GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 am
  • Listening to that press conference it sounds like McMahon is making a league to appeal to the people in the comment sections of Kaepernick and Bennett articles.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 am
  • Trrrroy wrote:Fans have no interest in a second league featuring lesser players. I see it failing just like the first time. The only way something like this has a chance to succeed is if it's an NFL sanctioned farm league, because that will actually interest NFL fans.. Of course that will never happen.

I disagree completely. 2020 is a long way away, *MOD EDIT, I personally welcome this. If nothing else, it will force the NFL to reconsider its *MOD EDIT* system of rules.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Listening to that press conference it sounds like McMahon is making a league to appeal to the people in the comment sections of Kaepernick and Bennett articles.

In other words, the loyal, mouth-breathing readers of Pro Football Talk.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:49 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Listening to that press conference it sounds like McMahon is making a league to appeal to the people in the comment sections of Kaepernick and Bennett articles.

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:

I disagree completely. 2020 is a long way away, but after the politicized shit show the 2017-2018 season turned out to be, I personally welcome this. If nothing else, it will force the NFL to reconsider its deeply pussified system of rules.

I too hope for more Ricardo Lockettes in the XFL. Nothing will get my blood moving more than watching dudes break their necks when getting blind side blocked because it'll be the non-pussified league.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 pm
  • When will you guys learn to stop politicizing threads?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information