Roger Goodell 'concerned' with catch rule

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/958148644506669056[/tweet]

Details of the league's plan to tweak the rule are not yet clear. But Goodell indicated it will focus on instances like the James play -- or those involving Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson and Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant in previous years -- where receivers initially appear to have control of the ball while falling the ground. An operating theory, Goodell said, will be the idea that "fans want catches."

The NFL's competition committee will hold regular meetings over the next two months, and it's possible that the new rule could be presented to owners in March.

"I hope we'll be able to address this in a way that will bring more clarity and frankly more excitement to this," Goodell said.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The more they screw with it, the more complicated it will be. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they manage to fix this.

sutz

Reaction score
"Fans want catches."

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
sutz":dkll998d said:
"Fans want catches."

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:
Yeah, I read that as a euphemism for "let's screw defenses some more," too.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why is this so hard?
Back in the day we never had all this bitching over catching a ball.
You catch it,knee or elbow touches ground ?It is a catch..Ground cannot cause a fumble
or an incomplete pass if you had it to begin with..Too simple

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Use the college rules for a catch (exerpt from https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-2-definitions/ ):

A. To catch a ball means that a player:
1. Secures control of a live ball in flight with his hands or arms before the ball touches the ground, and
2. Touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then
3. Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e. long enough to
pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc., and
4. Satisfies paragraphs b, c and d below.
B. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch. If he regains control inbounds prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch.

C. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession.

D. If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control and continues to maintain control, and the elements above are satisfied, it is a catch.
E. An interception is a catch of an opponent’s pass or fumble.
F. A catch by any kneeling or prone inbounds player is a completion or interception (Rules 7-3-6 and 7-3-7).
G. A player recovers a ball if he fulfils the criteria in paragraphs a, b, c, and d for catching a ball that is still alive after hitting the ground.
H. When in question, the catch, recovery or interception is not completed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":q6tw0shs said:
Why is this so hard?
Back in the day we never had all this bitching over catching a ball.
You catch it,knee or elbow touches ground ?It is a catch..Ground cannot cause a fumble
or an incomplete pass if you had it to begin with..Too simple
THIS! It’s common sense which is why it won’t happen.

chris98251

Reaction score
What they need is to get rid of replay period, it was meant to augment the game not dictate it, Officials are scared to death to make a call now, everything needs a WTO summit and then a review. Yes they will make mistakes, but they make mistakes anyway. Not having big brother looking at them may help with their calls and second guessing stuff.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3byoc8k3 said:
Hmmm...... Stealers get screwed let’s NOW change the rule.

Well I mean...that screw job against the Steelers pretty much put the Pats in the Superbowl...or at least their road to it super freaking easy. Instead of playing the Titans they would of played the Jags in the Divisional round and most likely would of had to go on the road against the Steelers

i still cant believe that was ruled a non catch when the guy caught it went to the ground and then twisted and reached for the goaline BUT no catch obv :roll:

NE got alot of ..."favorable" calls this year

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":l5vc1k9f said:
Sports Hernia":l5vc1k9f said:
Hmmm...... Stealers get screwed let’s NOW change the rule.

Well I mean...that screw job against the Steelers pretty much put the Pats in the Superbowl...or at least their road to it super freaking easy. Instead of playing the Titans they would of played the Jags in the Divisional round and most likely would of had to go on the road against the Steelers

i still cant believe that was ruled a non catch when the guy caught it went to the ground and then twisted and reached for the goaline BUT no catch obv :roll:

NE got alot of ..."favorable" calls this year
Oh I agree. I hate the Stealers, Cheatriots, *allas, and the Niners and generally their fanbases.
Just find it ironic and I am amused that a team and a fanbase that was handed a Lombardi by taglibooboo and his henchmen in Super Fix XL* are whining about the call, even as shitty as it was. I however take no joy in the Cheatriots being the beneficiary of said crap call.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Indy has got it right
A football move was great today but shouldn't be in the rules at all
Bring it back to the old rules cuz the new ones are turning away fans

djb28

Reaction score
Just stop putting a microscope in everyone's ass on plays. Everything is so controlled that it is out of control.