Colts LB Edwin Jackson killed by drunk driver this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

original poster

Reaction score
As above, terribly sad news. RIP, Edwin.

Edwin Jackson of the Indianapolis Colts was one of two people killed in a car crash early Sunday morning involving a drunk driver on Interstate 70 in Avon, Indiana, just outside of Indianapolis.

According to the Indy Star, the 26-year-old Colts linebacker was standing alongside 54-year-old Jeffrey Monroe near a parked vehicle on the emergency shoulder when a Ford F-150 pickup truck struck and killed both.

The driver of the pickup truck attempted to flee the scene on foot, later apprehended and identified as 37-year-old Alex Cabrera Gonsales. He was driving without a license.

Jackson, who went to college at Georgia Southern and previously played for the Arizona Cardinals, was signed by the Colts in January of 2016.

He recorded 66 tackles and 2 sacks that season before being placed on injured reserve to start to 2017 season.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Makes me cuss.

After 25+ years of working on an Ambulance, I literally hate Drunk/Distracted drivers.

I’ve seen first hand, too many tragedies.

What sucks?

We all know better.

:{(

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
pmedic920":3on63i2t said:
Makes me cuss.

After 25+ years of working on an Ambulance, I literally hate Drunk/Distracted drivers.

What sucks?

We all know better.

I second this

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
pmedic920":6vstn5bh said:
Makes me cuss.

What sucks?

We all know better.

Absolutely.

Every single person in the world of stable mind knows it’s not a good idea yet it continues to happen.

It makes me so angry. Selfish of the highest order.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yet nobody talks about Cell Phone use while driving, you guys will slam and demean a Drunk Driver to hell, it's warranted yet people using cell phones cause more accidents now and it's looked at as a ho hum situation. I think it's worse since everyone from the top down in this country thinks they can do it and it is ok since they are not under the influence of anything.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":30tsebi1 said:
Yet nobody talks about Cell Phone use while driving, y9ou guys will slam and demean a Drunk Driver to hell, it's warranted yet people using cell phones cause more accidents now and it's looked at as a ho hum situation. I think it's worse since everyone from the top down in this country thinks they can do it and it is ok since they are not under the influence of anything.

Oh I'm with ya. It drives me absolutely nuts when I drive past someone and see them looking down texting.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I-70 is somewhere you don't want to be standing outside..
It is a shame this happened but this road has cars hitting police cars ect
that are off to the side,it's not always drunk drivers.
Theres your speeders that zig zag and your idiot cell texters.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Horribly sad when innocent people die due to the moronic decisions by others.

My thoughts are with him, his family, and the colts org.

massari

Reaction score
Sad story. Jackson had been drinking and was waiting for a UBER. RIP to both Jeffrey Monroe and Edwin Jackson.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... in-jackso/
"The man accused of killing an NFL player and another man in a DUI-related crash Sunday morning is a Mexican immigrant whom authorities are trying to deport, according to charging documents.

Police say 37-year-old Alex Cabrera Gonsales drove a black Ford F-150 pickup truck onto the emergency shoulder along Interstate 70 around 4 a.m. Sunday, plowed into a ride-share vehicle, and killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and 54-year-old Jeffrey Monroe of Avon.

Mr. Cabrera Gonsales didn’t have a driver’s license, tried to flee the scene of the accident and had a blood-alcohol level of at least .15 (nearly twice the legal limit), authorities said.

The booking document, which specifies that Mr. Cabrera Gonsales has a detainer request on him, does not say whether was in the U.S. illegally or as a legal permanent resident who can still be deported for a serious crime."

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":sqae94xq said:
Yet nobody talks about Cell Phone use while driving, you guys will slam and demean a Drunk Driver to hell, it's warranted yet people using cell phones cause more accidents now and it's looked at as a ho hum situation. I think it's worse since everyone from the top down in this country thinks they can do it and it is ok since they are not under the influence of anything.
Actually, laws are getting tougher on this all over.

Back on topic, shitty news for the victims and their families, and the Colts team.

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":5pxpjr7o said:

Did you notice I said “drunk/distracted”?

That includes cell phones, eating a burger, and one of peeves, women putting on makeup.

Driving is a lot bigger responsibility than most of us consider it.

IMHO distracted driver crashes should be prosecuted and punished just like a DWI crash.
The results are the same, and the driver made the same choice.
Driving when they shouldn’t have been.
We should all be equally concerned about any distractions.

Under the influence = Texting = Putting on makeup
If you kill or injure another, punishment should be =

nategreat

Reaction score
chris98251":is872t4f said:

Drunk drivers both deserve and need to be slammed and demeaned, buddy. And that's what this story is all about. Get out of here with that. Start a new thread about distracted driving if you want, but don't defend drunk drivers.

On topic, this is really sad news and irks me quite a bit.

Chapow

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":306lqy7q said:
RolandDeschain":306lqy7q said:
seahawkfreak":306lqy7q said:
So sad. Wonder why the driver didn't have a license.
I've got a pretty good guess, but I'm not gonna go there.

Yup

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that his immigration status or lack of a drivers license probably didn't have anything to do with this.

The guy was driving drunk at 4 in the morning.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
nategreat":3u5gbdfd said:
chris98251":3u5gbdfd said:

Drunk drivers both deserve and need to be slammed and demeaned, buddy. And that's what this story is all about. Get out of here with that. Start a new thread about distracted driving if you want, but don't defend drunk drivers.

On topic, this is really sad news and irks me quite a bit.

The poster very clearly stated that drunk drivers were deserving of the ridicule.

Status
Not open for further replies.