Irony - Philly threw the ball on the goal line

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Anybody find it ironic that Philly threw the ball on the Patriots on the goal line and it worked? Dang!

Probably happened because Malcom Butler wasn't in the game.

Maybe the difference was execution by the players.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MO Hawk":3a3ersew said:
Anybody find it ironic that Philly threw the ball on the Patriots on the goal line and it worked? Dang!

They werent dumb enough to call a slant though.

Threedee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":iqv8g7q2 said:
MO Hawk":iqv8g7q2 said:

Yeah, they threw it to the outside where the defenders weren't clustered around the point of attack.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MO Hawk":1fyfjsiz said:

Apples and Oranges. Their OC wasnt an assclown that called a slant into a stacked and crowded box.
Philly called a safe pass. The revisionist history by the Bevellites is downright comical at this point.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Because the play call was actually good and wasn't the most predictable pass of all time into the most crowded box of all time

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":zs2sjeau said:
MO Hawk":zs2sjeau said:

Ya they only had their backup TE throw into the endzone to their QB. A truly sound and smart play lol

chris98251

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3s30ilb6 said:
pittpnthrs":3s30ilb6 said:
MO Hawk":3s30ilb6 said:

Ya they only had their backup TE throw into the endzone to their QB. A truly sound and smart play lol

Except he was a former QB at Texas A & M.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Seahawkville":i0egm72y said:
Should have run it...... :sarcasm_off:

Actually, the way Blount was working the short yardage runs... you're not wrong.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":ucpsj2v1 said:
pittpnthrs":ucpsj2v1 said:
MO Hawk":ucpsj2v1 said:

You’re kidding right? The Super Bowl Losing Interception was from a formation where tons of Seahawk film had them running that pattern combination, while not one time in team history has Philadelphia come out in a pistol bunch, motioned their QB to a wingback position, direct snapped to the RB, reversed to the TE and threw to the QB/WB into the flat.

Comparing those two calls is absurd.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Couple things....

1) They don't have Marshawn in the backfield.
2) Not only did they throw it, they ran like a 3 in one trick play (Direct Snap to RB/End Around/TE pass to QB)

I was not a fan of Doug Peterson, but calling that play in that circumstance was Balsy.

original poster

Reaction score
Marvin49":1yr59i6p said:
Couple things....

1) They don't have Marshawn in the backfield.
2) Not only did they throw it, they ran like a 3 in one trick play (Direct Snap to RB/End Around/TE pass to QB)

I was not a fan of Doug Peterson, but calling that play in that circumstance was Balsy.

Their first (or might have been second) 4th down attempt was down right ballsy as well.

Execution was certainly the word of the hour.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2fkukxph said:
WilsonMVP":2fkukxph said:
pittpnthrs":2fkukxph said:
MO Hawk":2fkukxph said:

You’re kidding right? The Super Bowl Losing Interception was from a formation where tons of Seahawk film had them running that pattern combination, while not one time in team history has Philadelphia come out in a pistol bunch, motioned their QB to a wingback position, direct snapped to the RB, reversed to the TE and threw to the QB/WB into the flat.

Comparing those two calls is absurd.
Bingo, this guy gets it! ^^^

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
My point was not to compare the two, but to point out to outsiders who said we were stupid to throw the ball on the goal line that other teams do it and maybe "throwing" instead of running wasn't in and of it's self a bad idea.

All else you said about all the film on what Seattle did vs. Philly never showing that look I completely agree with.

I've heard so many analyst blast us for throwing instead of running. My point in the post is that we weren't the only one willing to throw on the Pats on the goal line. In fact, even with our disaster to learn from, Philly still threw the ball on the goal line even though they had a solid running game.

Another point you didn't mention is that the Pats had Brandon Brauner, who had played with Seattle the year before and I'm sure told the Pat's that play was one of Bevill's favorites. In fact, as we found out later, they practiced defending that exact play.

So my point was that maybe we weren't so stupid to throw on the goal line after all, then all the other things mentioned in this thread about what Philly had and we didn't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I’d say many believe the actual play that was called was stupid, not throwing in itself. The Eagles play was great. So happy that happened to the Patriots