SB Reffing

Seahawkville

Reaction score
I thought this was the best reffed game I had seen in YEARS.

It made the game good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's because the refs in the playoffs are told not to decide games, which is what they should be told the ENTIRE YEAR.

You know damn well Steratore was dying to overturn one of those Eagle's TD's, but the league office probably told him to hold up the call on the field, as to not make it about the refs deciding the SB.

Playoff reffing is how they should ref the entire year. Let the damn players play, and if it's not CLEAR AND EVIDENT, don't turn the call over.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24qjotub said:
That's because the refs in the playoffs are told not to decide games, which is what they should be told the ENTIRE YEAR.

You know damn well Steratore was dying to overturn one of those Eagle's TD's, but the league office probably told him to hold up the call on the field, as to not make it about the refs deciding the SB.

Playoff reffing is how they should ref the entire year. Let the damn players play, and if it's not CLEAR AND EVIDENT, don't turn the call over.

Well, except for that one game, in Detroit, a few years back, where the refs were given free reign...

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jghq67b said:

You're saying playoff reffing as a whole, yet the Pats/Jags game was horribly officiated. They let New England get away with everything they were calling Jacksonville for. Terrible.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
NE had a total of 2 penalties in the AFCCG and Super Bowl combined! How is that even possible? The Seahawks get that many per drive!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":16evxkni said:
Sgt. Largent":16evxkni said:

Well, except for that one game, in Detroit, a few years back, where the refs were given free reign...

Right, and unfortunately for us the league has even admitted that our SB robbing was THE game they decided to make a concerted effort to not have the refs over officiate.

So ur welcome Eagles.

original poster

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3fkci95g said:
NE had a total of 2 penalties in the AFCCG and Super Bowl combined! How is that even possible? The Seahawks get that many per drive!

Crazy isn't it.

Hard to believe that is purely down to discipline from the Patriots.

Fairly sure I saw at least a couple holds by their OL.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
original poster":1cwi6b9d said:
oldhawkfan":1cwi6b9d said:

Crazy isn't it.

Hell Ifedi had that many on the same PLAY.

original poster

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2gq00l0j said:
original poster":2gq00l0j said:
oldhawkfan":2gq00l0j said:

Crazy isn't it.

Hell Ifedi had that many on the same PLAY.

A truly magnificent achievement!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
original poster":1jrbl0si said:

That's also just called "watching a football game", though.

I can't remember who it was (either Eric Winston or John Urschell -- it was on the freakonomics super bowl podcast rebroadcast), but the idea was basically that the key to being a successful NFL O lineman wasn't about being able to win your matchup without holding, but instead, it was having the smarts and ability to know PRECISELY HOW MUCH holding you could get away with without getting called for it.

original poster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":z9r9oppv said:
original poster":z9r9oppv said:

I can't remember who it was (either Eric Winston or John Urschell -- it was on the freakonomics super bowl podcast rebroadcast), but the idea was basically that the key to being a successful NFL O lineman wasn't about being able to win your matchup without holding, but instead, it was having the smarts and ability to know PRECISELY HOW MUCH holding you could get away with without getting called for it.

Yeah I don’t doubt that for a second to be fair.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":35l0f6a3 said:
Popeyejones":35l0f6a3 said:
original poster":35l0f6a3 said:

Yeah I don’t doubt that for a second to be fair.

yep, Walter Jones did a weekly show on KJR this season and talked about why Ifedi was having such a hard time. He said his technique and effort was good, but that he didn't know the nuances of when to hold, and when to let go.

That's half the battle for O-lineman. Good positioning, good technique, good feet, hands, etc. But just as important, knowing all the nuances and subtleties of holding.

mikeak

Reaction score
So while I like the "let the guys play" - lets take an example

Eagles second 2pt conversion. If you stop the picture the NE defender is using TWO hands right into the chest of the WR and pushes him full extension PRIOR to the ball arriving......

At what point is "the refs not deciding the game" actually turning into the "refs deciding the game" by NOT throwing a flag........

I get it - ticky-tacky calls, non impacting hold on the other side of the field, block in the back on every single return etc etc and PI on contact both ways --- yeah lets not call that, but somehow the blatant calls are still needed

ivotuk

Reaction score
mikeak":29s4a9g3 said:

Eagles second 2pt conversion. If you stop the picture the NE defender is using TWO hands right into the chest of the WR and pushes him full extension PRIOR to the ball arriving......

At what point is "the refs not deciding the game" actually turning into the "refs deciding the game" by NOT throwing a flag........

I get it - ticky-tacky calls, non impacting hold on the other side of the field, block in the back on every single return etc etc and PI on contact both ways --- yeah lets not call that, but somehow the blatant calls are still needed

Yeah, that was BS. Even the announcers mentioned it. Pretty easy call

253hawk

Reaction score
Vpk0718":lqqy3b99 said:
Sgt. Largent":lqqy3b99 said:

You're saying playoff reffing as a whole, yet the Pats/Jags game was horribly officiated. They let New England get away with everything they were calling Jacksonville for. Terrible.

Don't forget the 'forward progress' fumble that pretty much killed the Chiefs. That was one of the worst calls ever, compounded by the fact that it was a turnover so it was a booth review as well.

There was definitely a lot of stuff that went uncalled in the SB, but I don't think very many of them would have affected the play anyway (which is how it should be).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":3dcjb9b0 said:

I'm even OK with this, it's how football used to be played. Guys like Dave Brown, Easley, Ronnie Lott, Lester Hayes used to manhandle WR's........and you come across the middle? You're getting destroyed.

The play you're talking about both players were hand fighting, and maybe the NE DB under the rule pass interfered, but if both players are fighting for position? Good, let them play.

If that play gets called, it changes the game...........the SB. Again, I'm fine with lenient reffing, because it makes for the most enjoyable viewing experience. Used to be 5-10 penalties were called per game, now it's approaching 20.

Add in all the stupid reviews and challenges, and something has to give.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1idmpqwz said:
mikeak":1idmpqwz said:

I'm even OK with this, it's how football used to be played. Guys like Dave Brown, Easley, Ronnie Lott, Lester Hayes used to manhandle WR's........and you come across the middle? You're getting destroyed.

The play you're talking about both players were hand fighting, and maybe the NE DB under the rule pass interfered, but if both players are fighting for position? Good, let them play.

If that play gets called, it changes the game...........the SB. Again, I'm fine with lenient reffing, because it makes for the most enjoyable viewing experience. Used to be 5-10 penalties were called per game, now it's approaching 20.

Couldn't agree more.

If only the officiating was as good in the regular season.

Just let the guys play ball.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
original poster":28t38pnc said:
Sgt. Largent":28t38pnc said:
mikeak":28t38pnc said:

Couldn't agree more.

If only the officiating was as good in the regular season.

Just let the guys play ball.

This leads to a lot of confusion on reffing....what reffing are we gonna have this week? Is it gonna be high and tight? Are they gonna be lax and let them play? Are they gonna steer the game? Without a standard, they can not determine what reffing is gonna happen at any point in time....or on any game. I think the only standard I have seen is to not have a standard between games so it keeps the teams off balance....or the coaches.

WWF or Don Owen’s NWA Pacific Northwest back in the day....Brother went to one downtown with superfly snooka there. One of the matches him and a few friends yelled hair hair and the ref stopped the match and no hair was pulled...they did that a few times. It kept things chaotic almost like the NFL now....Cant tell what the refs are gonna do. By the way....RIP Snooka....passed away last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Snuka

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":t5ox0ney said:
This leads to a lot of confusion on reffing....what reffing are we gonna have this week? Is it gonna be high and tight? Are they gonna be lax and let them play? Are they gonna steer the game? Without a standard, they can not determine what reffing is gonna happen at any point in time....or on any game. I think the only standard I have seen is to not have a standard between games so it keeps the teams off balance....or the coaches.

Because the owners have decided to that over officiating to get EVERY call correct is more important than having a fan friendly spectator sport that's enjoyable to watch.

The league went 50 years with very few rule changes, then a bazillion over the past 10 years cause every time Dez Bryant "doesn't" catch a ball in an important game, Jerry Jones cries at the next owner meeting for a new rule..........times 32 owners.

That's why I said whatever the league mandate is for calling the game less strict for the playoffs? Tell the refs THAT'S what we want ALL the time.

Latest posts