Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

New Deal for Jimmy Garoppolo
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 am
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Re: New Deal for Jimmy Garoppolo
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 am
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Well he will be for today, lots of QB's going to get paid real soon and Grab a ho has done very little in the league, Vets with longer history ( Russell Wilson) ( Kirk Cousins)will be using that as a leverage point.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• all or nothing in Santa Clara.

I suppose they didnt have much of a choice
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:39 am
  • "Wow, we might have a great player. Lets offer him a large enough contract to make it so he must always play like a great player to justify our investment."
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• I thought this was very telling.....

Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 am
  • These QB contracts are getting absurd. Teams have to pay $20 million just for an average QB nowadays.

Jimmy certainly looked good but I do not think he should be the highest average per year player.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am
  • Cousins will get more.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

• The 49ers had to sign him or else the trade last year was a total waste.

Garoppolo had all the leverage and the 49ers basically had to make him the highest paid player. If they franchised him they risk him not being happy, which they cannot afford at this point.

Still ridiculous that he has only started 7 games though and he's the money king of the NFL (for today).
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• 27.5 million for someone who has never been a full season starter in this league? I mean it's crazy. I wonder if he'd gotten paid like this if he didn't get a chance to play after Beathard got injured playing against us? Sure he'd have gotten a great contract but would it have been this high without winning out the end of the season?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• 27.5 Mil per year for 5 years and 74 mil guaranteed per Maiocco.

If true it is an ABSURD amount of cash. I figure if he only gets the guaranteed cash for 5 years that's 14.8 mil a year. Looking at it that way looks better, but hey I hope he gets the full amount of the 137.5 mil. That means he is getting all the bonuses installed into the contract. But overall Cousins, Rodgers and others will BREAK the bank because of Jimmy. They all need to thank him. haha

Correction.
    The guaranteed is 90 mil for 18 mil per year. HOLY WOW
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• Russ, Ryan and Rodgers will all be $30+mil players soon.

In-friggen-sane!
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• rlkats wrote:27.5 Mil per year for 5 years and 74 mil guaranteed per Maiocco.

If true it is an ABSURD amount of cash. I figure if he only gets the guaranteed cash for 5 years that's 14.8 mil a year. Looking at it that way looks better, but hey I hope he gets the full amount of the 137.5 mil. That means he is getting all the bonuses installed into the contract. But overall Cousins, Rodgers and others will BREAK the bank because of Jimmy. They all need to thank him. haha

Correction.

74 guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/ ... 5359336448

Also this is going to come back to bite the Seahawks bad. Wilson is up for an extension next year. Holy shit is he going to get PAID. $32 million per year MINIMUM is my guess. Cousins is about to skyrocket the standard.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• QuickLightning wrote:
    rlkats wrote:27.5 Mil per year for 5 years and 74 mil guaranteed per Maiocco.

Correction.

74 guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/ ... 5359336448

Also this is going to come back to bite the Seahawks bad. Wilson is up for an extension next year. Holy shit is he going to get PAID. $32 million per year MINIMUM is my guess. Cousins is about to skyrocket the standard.

Ya thats what I seen then I read this. Who knows lol
    http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=113772

But yes Wilson and other proven QB's should have a HUGE smile on right now.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• What if he turns into Matt Flynn 2.0. In my opinion the contract is ridiculous since he's never proven a thing in this league.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• If I were a non-QB NFL player, I think I'd talk to my player rep about negotiating a cap on how big a % of the overall cap could go to any single player. This just creates more of a have-have not schism among the players... Sort of like what they did with the rookie cap. Can't blame the QB for getting all they can, but it certainly makes for less of the pie left over for everyone else.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• That will be one albatross of a contract. They should have franchised him and saw how he did with one full season. They did not need to do this deal this year. A risky gamble to say the least, but if it works out he will be one of the cheapest QB's in the league by the 2nd year of the deal.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:What if he turns into Matt Flynn 2.0. In my opinion the contract is ridiculous since he's never proven a thing in this league.

Ya that's always the scary point. But I guess the Niners liked what they seen. I see it this way. If the hawks were 1-10 with all other QB's with the same receivers, O-line, rb everything then Wilson comes in and clicks off 5 wins in a row with only a couple games in the past. What would the hawks do????? I think we would see the same thing. Luckily you guys stole Wilson and bit the bullet on Flynn. So you all looked smart for the most part.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:That will be one albatross of a contract. They should have franchised him and saw how he did with one full season. They did not need to do this deal this year. A risky gamble to say the least, but if it works out he will be one of the cheapest QB's in the league by the 2nd year of the deal.

This is the big picture idea. While I agree on the tag idea. What happens if he continues to kill it? Then the contract will be way over 30 mil per year. Hell Cousins will get that this year. So I think its an educated gamble, that hopefully pays off.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am
  • BirdsCommaAngry wrote:"Wow, we might have a great player. Lets offer him a large enough contract to make it so he must always play like a great player to justify our investment."

Bingo.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:00 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:Cousins will get more.

Probably true, but I'd take Jimmy G over Cousins.

I would not be surprised if Super Bowl winning QBs start becoming rookies or QBs on their first contracts. These huge QB salaries are going to start crippling teams from being able to field a team around them.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• rlkats wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:That will be one albatross of a contract. They should have franchised him and saw how he did with one full season. They did not need to do this deal this year. A risky gamble to say the least, but if it works out he will be one of the cheapest QB's in the league by the 2nd year of the deal.

This is the big picture idea. While I agree on the tag idea. What happens if he continues to kill it? Then the contract will be way over 30 mil per year. Hell Cousins will get that this year. So I think its an educated gamble, that hopefully pays off.

There are miles and miles between Jimmy G and Cousins as we sit today.

Cousins has proved that he is a 4k yard passer, where Jimmy G has proved that we can win meaningless games late in the season.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Cousins will get more.

Probably true, but I'd take Jimmy G over Cousins.

I would not be surprised if Super Bowl winning QBs start becoming rookies or QBs on their first contracts. These huge QB salaries are going to start crippling teams from being able to field a team around them.

Not just cripple them in terms of salary, which might not ever come to fruition if the cap expands at a similar rate prior (speculative), but in terms of designing an actual team.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:What if he turns into Matt Flynn 2.0. In my opinion the contract is ridiculous since he's never proven a thing in this league.

Not possible. Garoppolo showed FAR more than Flynn ever did. Flynn's supposed great game consisted of mostly wide open touchdowns while having a mostly clean pocket, against the 23rd ranked defense with several really good WRs and TEs (Cobb, Jennings [Pro Bowl], Driver, Finley, etc). Flynn didn't have to do this on nearly half his passes, and that is why he was fools gold and Garoppolo is not:

http://freegifmaker.me/images/2bAFe/

Basically, Garoppolo was working with the talent of a 1-10 team, one with ZANE BEADLES playing right tackle, and Marquise Goodwin as the number one WR, and he was throwing under pressure almost every throw. The people comparing him to the likes of Flynn have not watched the film on either one and ought to be ashamed of themselves. They are the same ones making the idiotic Ryan Mallett comparisons.

Show me how Flynn did this for Green Bay or any other team:

THAT SAID, the contract IS ridiculous. But this is the market. If Matthew Stafford is worth 25 million per year, a younger, clearly talented QB, who was literally used over and over again in film chosen by Kyle Shanahan before last season's draft to show John Lynch what his ideal QB looked like, is worth around that much.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:Russ, Ryan and Rodgers will all be $30+mil players soon.

In-friggen-sane!

There is going to come a breaking point. With the supposed dropping of ratings, at some point the total cash is going to slow down. But I think QB salaries are going to break things before the league reacts to that impending reality.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Yeah...

Me=Ecstatic. :D

1) Yes, its a TON of money for someone who has started 7 games. Its just ludicrous money. Ask yourself this though....if he were a free agent, what would he be offered? If there were multiple teams bidding for him, how much does he make. I'd submit he makes more than Cousins.

2) The 49ers are 116 mil under the cap. One of the reasons for that is that they roll previous years cap space into this year. That money HAS to get spent or it goes away. It doesn't go into Jeds pocket as many would like you to believe.

3) The contract is front loaded. 90 mil in the first 3 years. I'd guess a big chunk in year one. That means 2 things. First, if he sucks a few years from now they will only have spent unused cap space on him and they can get out of the deal with little dead money. If he works out, he'll be UNDER paid by that point and the big dollars will have been paid early give them space later in the deal.

4) This in many ways makes SF a destination for Free Agents.

I know its a lot of money, but in big perspective its a no-brainer.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Russ, Ryan and Rodgers will all be $30+mil players soon.

In-friggen-sane!

There is going to come a breaking point. With the supposed dropping of ratings, at some point the total cash is going to slow down. But I think QB salaries are going to break things before the league reacts to that impending reality.

Maybe...but Fox just spent 600 plus per season for the worst package (Thursday nights) that will be simulcast on NFL Network and streaming.

Money isn't drying up. Yet.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• We probably overpaid but it was the right thing to do. Small sample size but in that small sample size he already shown enough. Coming in mid-season and only learning a third of the playbook and to completely turn around a 1-10 team is actually amazing. Don't see how it would get worse when he finally gets a training camp learning the full offense while we upgrade the skill positions. Not like hes doing anything gimmicky hes just executing Shanahan's offense which has always been good. This is our FQB now so locking him up makes sense.
    SF49r
    NET Starter

• Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Shoulda had him play a year under franchise, imo. This is Aaron Rodgers money to a guy that has proven very little.
    Last edited by Trrrroy on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

Fair, but I don't think even Seahawks fans here would say they think he'll be Kap.

You can say what you want about the money and its ludicrous, but thats the cost of doing business. It is what it is. Washington tried to fight it for several years and ended up losing the guy and trading for a guy 3 or 4 years older who isn't as good and them paying HIM what you wouldn't pay the other guy to start with.

Niners don't sign players to dumb contracts. Say what you want but they a smart about contract structure.

It'll be front loaded and they'll be able to get out of it if need be.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:Shoulda had him play a year under franchise, imo.

No. Freakin. Way.

They think he's "THE" guy.

If you think that, lock him up NOW.

If you franchise him you are still paying him 23 mil plus and then NEXT year you are in same spot, contract is 20% higher, and you are contending with contracts for Cousins, Ryan and Rodgers.

Screw that. Sign him now to smart contract they can get out of if need be what they are 116 mil under the cap.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• Marvin49 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

Fair, but I don't think even Seahawks fans here would say they think he'll be Kap.

You can say what you want about the money and its ludicrous, but thats the cost of doing business. It is what it is. Washington tried to fight it for several years and ended up losing the guy and trading for a guy 3 or 4 years older who isn't as good and them paying HIM what you wouldn't pay the other guy to start with.

Niners don't sign players to dumb contracts. Say what you want but they a smart about contract structure.

It'll be front loaded and they'll be able to get out of it if need be.

Eight games into Kap's career he looked like the next biggest superstar, and where are we at with jimmy? 8 games in, that's all Im saying.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Shoulda had him play a year under franchise, imo.

No. Freakin. Way.

If you franchise him you are still paying him 23 mil plus and then NEXT year you are in same spot, contract is 20% higher, and you are contending with contracts for Cousins, Ryan and Rodgers.

Screw that. Sign him now to smart contract they can get out of if need be what they are 116 mil under the cap.

Unless he sucks. Dude looked good for half a season. So what? Lots of QB's have looked good for 8 games before the wheels fall off. Let him prove it then sign the Aaron Rodgers deal.

This is the type of deal that can cripple a franchise for years if it doesn't work out. Too much risk for me.
    He's just as likely to be the next Kevin Kolb as Aaron Rodgers.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• That team has a lot of other issues. Way too much $ to pay a guy who has what 5 starts last year? Good player, but down the road this will hurt them cap wise. In 2019, I think they are going to be real good, 2018, meh.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:That team has a lot of other issues. Way too much $ to pay a guy who has what 5 starts last year? Good player, but down the road this will hurt them cap wise. In 2019, I think they are going to be real good, 2018, meh.

I think peeps are missing th point here capwise.

They are 116 mil under the cap.

The contract is front loaded.

The cap is going up.

In later years vs the cap this will look like a bargain. The last 2 years will average 23.5 mil per....which is Alex Smith money.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Shoulda had him play a year under franchise, imo.

No. Freakin. Way.

Unless he sucks. Dude looked good for half a season. So what? Lots of QB's have looked good for 8 games before the wheels fall off. Let him prove it then sign the Aaron Rodgers deal.

This is the type of deal that can cripple a franchise for years if it doesn't work out. Too much risk for me.
    He's just as likely to be the next Kevin Kolb as Aaron Rodgers.

...and if he sucks, 75 is guaranteed and contract front loaded....IE they get out of it in 3 years with little dead money.

Remember...this is a BIG part.

They HAVE to spend the money. They need to meet the rolling 3 year salary FLOOR. Money needs to be spent...why not roll those dice on a guy you really like?

Franchise tag was always last resort.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think we be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Thanks Man. I know that hurt. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Yeah this is a fantastic signing. Many fellow Hawks fans desperately hoping it's an overpay, that he will suck, that he hasn't proven anything, etc. Turn on the film. He has maybe one glaring weakness that is an easily correctable mechanics issue. Otherwise he has looked legit with a terrible supporting cast.

Shanahan isn't going anywhere and Jimmy has shown he can run that system with subpar players. They shredded the Jags D that was top 2 in the league. They also have so much cap space they can sign whomever they want. The next few years are gonna be ROUGH for our seahawks unless they hit on a ton of draft picks, stay healthy, and the best players play as well as they ever have.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

Crazy how fast the market has gone up.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• HawkFan72 wrote:Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

Agree with you, but when Russ signed the extension there was enough out there to know exactly what he brought to the table. While Jimmy G has shown some really great flashes, its still 8 games.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

Agree with you, but when Russ signed the extension there was enough out there to know exactly what he brought to the table. While Jimmy G has shown some really great flashes, its still 8 games.

Yes, it has only been 8 games, but realistically, what are the other options?

Franchise Tag? Pay him 23.5 mill for one year while the entire market moves? He signed for 27.5 mil per but next year it would be over 30.

He might suck? Well clearly THEY think he's the guy and they didn't just view him from afar. He was in the building for half the season and played great in 5 games.

If he does suck though, it won't kill them. They are far below the salary FLOOR so they had to spend the money anyway.

Who SHOULD they have spent those dollars on?

Taken in a Vacuum, its a ludicrous contract...but it was ALWAYS going to be. This contract is the reason why he was available for "only" a 2nd round pick. Niners have this cap space plus ALOT more.

Hell, they could pay him 30 mil this year and STILL have more space than every team but the Browns.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• If I was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I would have kept the 2nd rounder, and signed Kirk Cousins. Being a Hawks fan Im glad they didn't get Cousins, having him back in that offense that looked great in DC would have been trouble.

Considering that they did the trade, yes I would have signed him to a Franchise tag and rolled the dice this year.

But I'm not a GM, I'm a Logistics manager at the end of the day, but I will say that my franchise on Madden is EPIC. :D
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:If I was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I would have kept the 2nd rounder, and signed Kirk Cousins. Being a Hawks fan Im glad they didn't get Cousins, having him back in that offense that looked great in DC would have been trouble.

Considering that they did the trade, yes I would have signed him to a Franchise tag and rolled the dice this year.

But I'm not a GM, I'm a Logistics manager at the end of the day, but I will say that my franchise on Madden is EPIC. :D

Not surprisingly, I see it differently. :D

I'm not a fan of Cousins. I posed this same question to my father who is a HUGE Redskins fan and he'd take Garoppolo every time.

Cousins falls apart with the game on the line. He's put up some good numbers for sure, but I never wanted him. To me, he's good but has no chance at great. He's also 4 years older than Jimmy G.

Just WATCH Jimmy play man. There are times you can watch a guy and you just KNOW.

The pick gave them a chance to sample the merchandise and clearly they loved what they saw.

Color me happy. :) Can't wait till next year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:If I was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place. I would have kept the 2nd rounder, and signed Kirk Cousins. Being a Hawks fan Im glad they didn't get Cousins, having him back in that offense that looked great in DC would have been trouble.

Not surprisingly, I see it differently. :D

I'm not a fan of Cousins. I posed this same question to my father who is a HUGE Redskins fan and he'd take Garoppolo every time.

Cousins falls apart with the game on the line. He's put up some good numbers for sure, but I never wanted him. To me, he's good but has no chance at great. He's also 4 years older than Jimmy G.

Just WATCH Jimmy play man. There are times you can watch a guy and you just KNOW.

The pick gave them a chance to sample the merchandise and clearly they loved what they saw.

Color me happy. :) Can't wait till next year.

Just take this to heart: With increased sample size variance will cause heart palpatations at points.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

That 22 million led to this point..
    Now that 22 million turns into 30-35 million..
    Go ahead think RW deserves it all you want but it's just going to bite the team in the ass.
    Eventually it will SC too but they got time before that happens.
    Anyone signing Cousins is a fool ..He is worth less than RW or JG
    This contract crap is way off kilter.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Remember when some people were freaking out over Wilson's 22 million a year? That's a bargain now. And Garoppolo's will be a bargain in 4 years.

That 22 million led to this point..
    Now that 22 million turns into 30-35 million..
    Go ahead think RW deserves it all you want but it's just going to bite the team in the ass.
    Eventually it will SC too but they got time before that happens.
    Anyone signing Cousins is a fool ..He is worth less than RW or JG
    This contract crap is way off kilter.

Whats funny about that is I remember when people saw the structure of the Kap deal there were so many here who said the Seahawks wouldn't "do" Russ that way.

That of course is now true.

However the offshoot of that will now be Russ commanding a backbreaking contract in a few years.

Nature of the business tho. If everything works out, in 5 years Jimmy G will be 31 years old and he might be looking for 40-45 mil per.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information