49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/rajmathai/status/961667209666863104[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he will be for today, lots of QB's going to get paid real soon and Grab a ho has done very little in the league, Vets with longer history ( Russell Wilson) ( Kirk Cousins)will be using that as a leverage point.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
all or nothing in Santa Clara.

I suppose they didnt have much of a choice

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
"Wow, we might have a great player. Lets offer him a large enough contract to make it so he must always play like a great player to justify our investment."

OP
OP
Spleenhawk2.0

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I thought this was very telling.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/961670793036902400[/tweet]

mistaowen

Reaction score
These QB contracts are getting absurd. Teams have to pay $20 million just for an average QB nowadays.

Jimmy certainly looked good but I do not think he should be the highest average per year player.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The 49ers had to sign him or else the trade last year was a total waste.

Garoppolo had all the leverage and the 49ers basically had to make him the highest paid player. If they franchised him they risk him not being happy, which they cannot afford at this point.

Still ridiculous that he has only started 7 games though and he's the money king of the NFL (for today).

kidhawk

Reaction score
27.5 million for someone who has never been a full season starter in this league? I mean it's crazy. I wonder if he'd gotten paid like this if he didn't get a chance to play after Beathard got injured playing against us? Sure he'd have gotten a great contract but would it have been this high without winning out the end of the season?

rlkats

Reaction score
27.5 Mil per year for 5 years and 74 mil guaranteed per Maiocco.

If true it is an ABSURD amount of cash. I figure if he only gets the guaranteed cash for 5 years that's 14.8 mil a year. Looking at it that way looks better, but hey I hope he gets the full amount of the 137.5 mil. That means he is getting all the bonuses installed into the contract. But overall Cousins, Rodgers and others will BREAK the bank because of Jimmy. They all need to thank him. haha

Correction.
The guaranteed is 90 mil for 18 mil per year. HOLY WOW

Reaction score
rlkats":2pyvaeik said:

If true it is an ABSURD amount of cash. I figure if he only gets the guaranteed cash for 5 years that's 14.8 mil a year. Looking at it that way looks better, but hey I hope he gets the full amount of the 137.5 mil. That means he is getting all the bonuses installed into the contract. But overall Cousins, Rodgers and others will BREAK the bank because of Jimmy. They all need to thank him. haha

Correction.

74 guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/ ... 5359336448

Also this is going to come back to bite the Seahawks bad. Wilson is up for an extension next year. Holy shit is he going to get PAID. $32 million per year MINIMUM is my guess. Cousins is about to skyrocket the standard.

rlkats

Reaction score
QuickLightning":23d1snh0 said:
rlkats":23d1snh0 said:

Correction.

74 guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/ ... 5359336448

Also this is going to come back to bite the Seahawks bad. Wilson is up for an extension next year. Holy shit is he going to get PAID. $32 million per year MINIMUM is my guess. Cousins is about to skyrocket the standard.

Ya thats what I seen then I read this. Who knows lol
http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=113772

But yes Wilson and other proven QB's should have a HUGE smile on right now.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
What if he turns into Matt Flynn 2.0. In my opinion the contract is ridiculous since he's never proven a thing in this league.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
If I were a non-QB NFL player, I think I'd talk to my player rep about negotiating a cap on how big a % of the overall cap could go to any single player. This just creates more of a have-have not schism among the players... Sort of like what they did with the rookie cap. Can't blame the QB for getting all they can, but it certainly makes for less of the pie left over for everyone else.

sdog1981

Reaction score
That will be one albatross of a contract. They should have franchised him and saw how he did with one full season. They did not need to do this deal this year. A risky gamble to say the least, but if it works out he will be one of the cheapest QB's in the league by the 2nd year of the deal.

rlkats

Reaction score
Cyrus12":bakhnx42 said:
What if he turns into Matt Flynn 2.0. In my opinion the contract is ridiculous since he's never proven a thing in this league.

Ya that's always the scary point. But I guess the Niners liked what they seen. I see it this way. If the hawks were 1-10 with all other QB's with the same receivers, O-line, rb everything then Wilson comes in and clicks off 5 wins in a row with only a couple games in the past. What would the hawks do????? I think we would see the same thing. Luckily you guys stole Wilson and bit the bullet on Flynn. So you all looked smart for the most part.

rlkats

Reaction score
sdog1981":2drov8m2 said:
That will be one albatross of a contract. They should have franchised him and saw how he did with one full season. They did not need to do this deal this year. A risky gamble to say the least, but if it works out he will be one of the cheapest QB's in the league by the 2nd year of the deal.

This is the big picture idea. While I agree on the tag idea. What happens if he continues to kill it? Then the contract will be way over 30 mil per year. Hell Cousins will get that this year. So I think its an educated gamble, that hopefully pays off.