Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Reuben Foster Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Really he is wasting all his potential. Over on off the field issues. And hope he can redeem himself and get help. Before it is too little too late. As really feel bad for his victims.
    Back to School!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    SF49r wrote:The former girlfriend of 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster on Monday said she can prove Foster did not cause her injuries from an alleged February incident in Los Gatos.

Elissa Ennis, the former girlfriend, released a statement through her attorney, Stephanie Rickard, in which she said she can prove Foster was not responsible for her injuries.

“(Foster) did not strike her, injure her or threaten her,” Rickard said in the statement.

Ennis’ injuries were the result of a physical fight with another woman, and that Foster tried to end his relationship with Ennis after he learned of the fight, Rickard said.

There is a video of that fight with another woman, according to Rickard.

“She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would ‘trash his career,’ ” Rickard said.

Hope this is true

If, If she was originally lying, she needs to go to jail for a lengthy period of time.
    False accusation’s of DV need to be dealt with harshly! False accusations hurt not only the falsely accused but the real victims of DV.

I agree...tho it does make me wonder if punishing false accusers make them less likely to eventually come clean and might make the really abused less likely to justifiably report it.

Gray area for me.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Passepartout wrote:Really he is wasting all his potential. Over on off the field issues. And hope he can redeem himself and get help. Before it is too little too late. As really feel bad for his victims.

....uh...I guess you aren't up on current events. :)

No worries. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Well, one thing is for sure; he's a very serious alcoholic. 0.35-0.40 is getting your stomach pumped at the hospital before you die for most people. It takes serious and excessive "training" to be able to handle that and still wake up the next morning.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• ^^^ Just for clarification, the “he” you’re talking about is Aldon Smith, not Foster, and yeah, he’s a career alcoholic.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Just for clarification, the “he” you’re talking about is Aldon Smith, not Foster, and yeah, he’s a career alcoholic.

No if you read the whole thread there are statements of Fosters BAC being .4.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

• homerun1970 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Just for clarification, the “he” you’re talking about is Aldon Smith, not Foster, and yeah, he’s a career alcoholic.

...and for the record, this thread is the ONLY place I've ever seen that reported.

I think the original poster of that information was confusing Aldon and Reuben. I've yet to see anything anywhere that states that Reuben was drunk at all on the day in question.

The only report I've seen of that specific BAC was this report below on Aldon.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/201 ... 523745537/
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Well let's hope Aldon gets help either way young man is a wreck. If Foster is being falsely accused hope he is cleared and no repercussions. If he is guilty hope they max him out as far as sentencing.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

• homerun1970 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:^^^ Just for clarification, the “he” you’re talking about is Aldon Smith, not Foster, and yeah, he’s a career alcoholic.

No. You and others are confusing him with Aldumb Smith.
    A.D.I.D.A.S.
    NET Practice Squad

• Passepartout wrote:Really he is wasting all his potential. Over on off the field issues. And hope he can redeem himself and get help. Before it is too little too late. As really feel bad for his victims.

His “victim” claims through her attorney she has video proof that her injuries were suffered from a fight with another woman. She claims she was afraid of being dumped by Foster (over the fight, in part) and said she would “trash” his career since he was cutting her out. The DA pressed charges before they received the video, but after she made the claim to them. That’s when she hired the attorney.

We’ll see how it goes, but if the video is legitimate, then reasonable doubt has clearly been established.

More info:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/30/ ... legations/
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• I was pretty much willing to give him the benefit of the doubt up until that.

The moment you throw a dog, you pretty much give up any chance to call yourself a worthwhile human being for a long time.

I have to hope that the only reason someone would do something like that is brain damage or some sort of cognitive impairment.

You would have to be soulless otherwise. Really hope that report is not true.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:I was pretty much willing to give him the benefit of the doubt up until that.

The moment you throw a dog, you pretty much give up any chance to call yourself a worthwhile human being for a long time.

I have to hope that the only reason someone would do something like that is brain damage or some sort of cognitive impairment.

You would have to be soulless otherwise. Really hope that report is not true.

I don't disagree with you, but two things...

1) The dog wasn't injured which makes me think "threw" might have been an over-exaggeration or....
    2) She made that up too when she was trying to destroy his career (of course, assuming she was in fact lying about the assault).

Sadly, even though she might have in fact been assaulted, her credibility is now shot. Either she lied and said he hit her or she is lying now do get him out of it. Either way, shes lying.

The part of all of this that sucks is I don't really think we'll ever really know what took place.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Whether Reuben Foster did this or not I don't think he will last long. This guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. His decision making over time is absolutely horrible. He has so many incidents. I think there will be another one in the next 3 - 6 months. Something else will come up. If not even sooner than that.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

• SanDiego49er wrote:Whether Reuben Foster did this or not I don't think he will last long. This guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. His decision making over time is absolutely horrible. He has so many incidents. I think there will be another one in the next 3 - 6 months. Something else will come up. If not even sooner than that.

I actually don't think he's all that dumb (not saying he's a rocket scientist).

I think he comes from a ROUGH background and has a lot of growing up to do.

You could be right though. IF he makes it through this situation I can only hope he learns a few lessons. Typically though players don't learn those lessons and are doomed to repeat them. We'll see.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Plenty of players came from a rough background. Doesn't make it ok to be a complete jack ass.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Plenty of players came from a rough background. Doesn't make it ok to be a complete jack ass.

Pretty sure at no point did I say it was OK. I said I didn't think he was stupid.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Fair enough. I just laugh at the excuses that people make. Stuff like "he's just a kid" or "he came from a tough background" Well, plenty of people choose to do the right thing, regardless of age and/or where they came from.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Fair enough. I just laugh at the excuses that people make. Stuff like "he's just a kid" or "he came from a tough background" Well, plenty of people choose to do the right thing, regardless of age and/or where they came from.

Heard Cowboy fans make the same excuse for Dez and all of his issues.
    Also heard niner fans make these excuses for Alldumb Smith.
    SD49er nailed it in his post IMHO.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Deadspin released the full police report

https://deadspin.com/police-report-reub ... ssion=true

Sounds like everything that we think happened, happened. Not sure why the GF is recanting her statements.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Need a dog whisperer to get the truth.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Deadspin released the full police report

Sounds like everything that we think happened, happened. Not sure why the GF is recanting her statements.

Police report is based on her initial comments so not so sure. I want him off the team if he hit her, but at this point I kinda think he's going to be exonerated in court, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it. I don't think we'll ever really know.

DA is continuing with charges even after video, and his lawyer is pushing with a swift trial to put pressure on the DA. There is another evidentiary date on Friday as the DA is requesting her account to the hospital and her injuries...probably to see if the DA can disprove that the injuries came from the incident on video.

Worth noting that the DA was very confident and made a big show out of comments after his first two court appearances and this time didn't speak.

Now its Fosters lawyer applying pressure which may lead from what I've read to the DA dropping charges. With an unhelpful witness they need external proof to try the case beyond reasonable doubt. That's why I think he won't be found guilty. Innocent or not though, I don't think we'll ever really know what happened.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Fair enough. I just laugh at the excuses that people make. Stuff like "he's just a kid" or "he came from a tough background" Well, plenty of people choose to do the right thing, regardless of age and/or where they came from.

Its not intended as an excuse. Its intended as an explanation. That doesn't by any means excuse it though.

I mean the dude got shot as an infant while in his mothers arms by his father. His father was running from police for like 20 years.

I'm just saying the dude comes from a rough background, never had a father, and is still immature as all hell. Those aren't excuses. They are explanations.

Its like saying a murderer is a drunk and was abused as a kid. Those are contributing factors, but they don't excuse the behavior. At all.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Deadspin released the full police report

Police report is based on her initial comments so not so sure.

The police report is based off of her comments AND what the officers saw, which were bruises, scratches, busted lip and cell phones smashed.

The GF's comments are up for factual discussion, her injuries are not. She was physically assaulted. Period.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

The police report is based off of her comments AND what the officers saw, which were bruises, scratches, busted lip and cell phones smashed.

The GF's comments are up for factual discussion, her injuries are not. She was physically assaulted. Period.

....sounds like you haven't been paying attention.

The woman (Elissa Ennis) recanted her story to the police. They pressed charges anyway so then hired an attorney and through that attorney released a public statement that he never hit or threatened her. Instead, she says that she had an altercation with another woman (that is where injuries came from) and that she had video to prove it.

https://deadspin.com/reuben-fosters-ex-girlfriends-lawyer-says-her-client-li-1825554811

That video was submitted and now the DA is trying to get access to Medical Records to see if the injuries match the altercation caught on video. She stated that she lied when he tried to break up with her over the incident with another woman and remove her from the home. She threatened to "trash his career". These are all her words written through her attorney. She lied. She lied about the initial incident or she's lying now...though the move to hire an attorney and incriminate herself would be an odd one if she is lying now.

IE, what's in question isn't whether she was injured/assaulted or not. She was. The question is by whom. Period.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• I just look forward to a time at some point in the future where which 49ers have recently been involved with the cops isn't a constant topic of discussion.

Not sure when we'll see that scenario arrive, but I have hopes that it'll happen in my lifetime. I'm 35 years old right now.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Unless the video shows her injuries occurred from the other fight, in which case EVERYTHING SHE SAID, and all the other evidence, becomes questionable.

All depends on if the video is real or not a forgery. If it is not a forgery, then it’s more likely she mode all of it up. If it IS is a forgery, Foster is going to prison.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

She submitted a video to the DA that allegedly shows SOMEONE ELSE giving her those injuries. There is no “period” until the levl of credibility of th vido is determined.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

That's just based on her initial statement. Which she has since said was all lies, so isn't really relevant.

Sounds like Foster will be getting off with a clean slate from almost all the charges.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• QuickLightning wrote:

That's just based on her initial statement. Which she has since said was all lies, so isn't really relevant.

Sounds like Foster will be getting off with a clean slate from almost all the charges.

It's still very relevant. Just because she has recanted doesn't mean what she said wasn't true. It'll take time, but it will either be proven that she lied initially or lied after the fact. There are reasons why I can see either being true, so until there is verified proof one way or the other, then everything related to the case is relevant.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:

It's still very relevant. Just because she has recanted doesn't mean what she said wasn't true. It'll take time, but it will either be proven that she lied initially or lied after the fact. There are reasons why I can see either being true, so until there is verified proof one way or the other, then everything related to the case is relevant.

Basically, she lied. The question is about what...the initial statement or the recant.

I tend to believe the recant because of how she's done it (IE, tried to recant to DA, he didn't listen, so she hired her own lawyer and then made a public and pretty detailed statement that didn't exactly put herself in the best light).

Totally possible though that he did it and she's lying now.

I think the whole thing is going to get dropped, but I don't know that even if that happens we'll ever get a 100% picture of what actually happened.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• If the Collar fits you must acquit !

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Marvin49 wrote:Basically, she lied. The question is about what...the initial statement or the recant.

I tend to believe the recant because of how she's done it (IE, tried to recant to DA, he didn't listen, so she hired her own lawyer and then made a public and pretty detailed statement that didn't exactly put herself in the best light).

I think the whole thing is going to get dropped, but I don't know that even if that happens we'll ever get a 100% picture of what actually happened.

As she's made completely contradictory statements, there's no doubt that she lied, on that everyone can agree.

I just don't see how either lie is more believable at this point in time. There are a lot of reasons for her to have lied about it in the first place, and equally as many reasons for her to lie about it after the fact. Right now it really comes down to a video. I've never seen this video nor have I seen evidence of it's validity, and until that comes to light, IMO, this has a 50/50 shot of going either way. I just can't trust her enough at this point to believe that there is a video until that video gets verified. Time will tell and I have no doubt it will do so quite publicly

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Basically, she lied. The question is about what...the initial statement or the recant.

As she's made completely contradictory statements, there's no doubt that she lied, on that everyone can agree.

I just don't see how either lie is more believable at this point in time. There are a lot of reasons for her to have lied about it in the first place, and equally as many reasons for her to lie about it after the fact. Right now it really comes down to a video. I've never seen this video nor have I seen evidence of it's validity, and until that comes to light, IMO, this has a 50/50 shot of going either way. I just can't trust her enough at this point to believe that there is a video until that video gets verified. Time will tell and I have no doubt it will do so quite publicly

Oh I can totally see this going either way. I think this will go away based on the behavior of the attorneys more than anything else, not her word.

Fosters Lawyer is VERY confident, which is why he's not waiving his clients right to a speedy trial. He's forcing the DA to be ready to present a case by next thurs. He knows they have the accuser recanting so she won't help prosecution, and they have the video.

This friday, the DA is trying to get access to her statements to the hospital and the medical reports in order to disprove the video is what caused her injuries. The fact that they need that NOW tells me they aren't convinced they have a case to convict him beyond reasonable doubt...

...and that's what kinda sucks. Even if he didn't do this, there will be no "Reuben Foster is innocent" statement. If they end up dropping the charges, we will never REALLY know if he did this or not. We can only take him at his word as she has already lied in one way or the other.

This stuff going away is the direction this all seems to be headed, but that doesn't mean he's innocent and it doesn't mean he's guilty.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Foster is not going to make it IMO. He is just another Aldon Smith. It's been nothing but trouble with him continuously since the combine. When he plays and when he is healthy he is a good player. But he is injured a lot and he makes awful decisions that lead to suspensions. Maybe eventually expulsion from the team permanently.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

• SanDiego49er wrote:Foster is not going to make it IMO. He is just another Aldon Smith. It's been nothing but trouble with him continuously since the combine. When he plays and when he is healthy he is a good player. But he is injured a lot and he makes awful decisions that lead to suspensions. Maybe eventually expulsion from the team permanently.

Honestly, I think Niner fans are so scarred by the Aldon situation that we view almost everybody as Aldon.

Aldon Smith was an all-timer. Reuben is a different dude.

Now that doesn't mean he isn't capable of screwing up on the same scale, but I think we as Niner fans pull out the Aldon card way too often. It's like Fandom PTSD.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:Foster is not going to make it IMO. He is just another Aldon Smith. It's been nothing but trouble with him continuously since the combine. When he plays and when he is healthy he is a good player. But he is injured a lot and he makes awful decisions that lead to suspensions. Maybe eventually expulsion from the team permanently.

Honestly, I think Niner fans are so scarred by the Aldon situation that we view almost everybody as Aldon.

Now that doesn't mean he isn't capable of screwing up on the same scale, but I think we as Niner fans pull out the Aldon card way too often. It's like Fandom PTSD.

~ Drug test positive at Combine.

~ Gets kicked out of the Combine for arguing with medical workers. I mean who does this? You are about to make NFL millions. It's unbelievable.

~ Gets arrested for drugs again. Is it in his home state I believe? When he was visiting.

~ Gets arrested for FELONY domestic violence.

~ Accused of smashing GF's phone so she can't call the police (currenty disputed).

~ Accused of throwing a dog across the room (disupted).

~ Accused of punching her and breaking an eardrum (disupted). Says it was another girl who did it and he wanted to break up with his Ex GF.

~ Accused of physically dragging her out of the room (disputed).

I don't know if you did this in a whole career I would say you are out of control. To do this in one season and one off season is unbelievable. He's totally out of control even if SOME of those are false and the disputing of them is right. I just can't see him last long. Something else will come up even if he clears all of this. A guy like this is just not going to stay out of trouble for 3, 5, 8, 10 years in a row for a playing career. It's just totally unrealistic. Beyond that he is undersized and injured a lot. He can't seem to stay on the field for a variety of different reasons.

When healthy, out of trouble and playing he is an excellent player. But that doesn't seem like very often.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

• Girlfriend recanted likely because of the almighty $. She wants her piece of that pie and knows if she actually told the truth Foster would be out of the league. Guessing this is going nowhere as she is backtracking and has zero credibility now. This happens more often than not with domestic violence cases. I'm sure they will get back together until he lays the smackdown on her again. Likely not the first time and won't be the last.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• SanDiego49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:Foster is not going to make it IMO. He is just another Aldon Smith. It's been nothing but trouble with him continuously since the combine. When he plays and when he is healthy he is a good player. But he is injured a lot and he makes awful decisions that lead to suspensions. Maybe eventually expulsion from the team permanently.

~ Gets kicked out of the Combine for arguing with medical workers. I mean who does this? You are about to make NFL millions. It's unbelievable.

~ Gets arrested for drugs again. Is it in his home state I believe? When he was visiting.

~ Accused of smashing GF's phone so she can't call the police (currenty disputed).

~ Accused of punching her and breaking an eardrum (disupted). Says it was another girl who did it and he wanted to break up with his Ex GF.

I don't know if you did this in a whole career I would say you are out of control. To do this in one season and one off season is unbelievable. He's totally out of control even if SOME of those are false and the disputing of them is right. I just can't see him last long. Something else will come up even if he clears all of this. A guy like this is just not going to stay out of trouble for 3, 5, 8, 10 years in a row for a playing career. It's just totally unrealistic. Beyond that he is undersized and injured a lot. He can't seem to stay on the field for a variety of different reasons.

When healthy, out of trouble and playing he is an excellent player. But that doesn't seem like very often.

For clarity...

-Deluted Sample at combine

-Did have verbal altercation with a doctor at combine

-Marijuana Possession in Alabama (yeah...I'm really not tripping on Mary Jane, sorry. I actually think players should be able to use it for pain. It far better than the other stuff they take)

-DV under serious dispute

-If story is true, he destroyed phone because she was threatening to trash his career by lying to the police

-Dog was uninjured and this stems from same disputed report

-Not sure why you have the same DV listed twice

-She said he never harmed or threatened her and the "dragging out" is all part of the same incident.

5 of the 8 items you have listed are all the same disputed event.

I'm not saying he's an angel, but he's a LONG, LONG ways off from Aldon Smith. I hope he can keep it together and I have my doubts as well, but my point still stands. He ain't Aldon...yet. He's not close. Aldon was/is an alcoholic and pretty much everything else stems from that.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Girlfriend recanted likely because of the almighty $. She wants her piece of that pie and knows if she actually told the truth Foster would be out of the league. Guessing this is going nowhere as she is backtracking and has zero credibility now. This happens more often than not with domestic violence cases. I'm sure they will get back together until he lays the smackdown on her again. Likely not the first time and won't be the last.

...and that's my prob with the whole situation.

You could very well be right and thats what MANY will assume even if he didn't do it and she lied to the police as she now says she did.

That initial report has sunk him in the eyes of many and we will never get a definitive answer about what actually happened.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

For clarity...

-Marijuana Possession in Alabama (yeah...I'm really not tripping on Mary Jane, sorry. I actually think players should be able to use it for pain. It far better than the other stuff they take)

-If story is true, he destroyed phone because she was threatening to trash his career by lying to the police

-She said he never harmed or threatened her and the "dragging out" is all part of the same incident.

I'm not saying he's an angel, but he's a LONG, LONG ways off from Aldon Smith. I hope he can keep it together and I have my doubts as well, but my point still stands. He ain't Aldon...yet. He's not close. Aldon was/is an alcoholic and pretty much everything else stems from that.

Based on 1 season and 1 off season I don't think he is going to make it. But we will see. He plays well when he is out there. He is looking at a long suspension even if SOME of these items are true. If they all are he is probably kicked off the team. He's undersized and injured a lot anyway. He has trouble staying on the field. There is no disputing he is a real good player when playing.

But he doesn't play for a lot of reasons. Ranging from injuries to crazy off the field decision making and not being to hold his life together. I understand the pick because he was better than where he was picked. But in the end I don't think it will work out. We have to plan on life without him for the long term future. They may have to pick LB again real early.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

• A couple factors that will come into play in this:

(1) The tape is obviously the huge one.

(2) Like it or not and right or wrong or not, DV is just really hard to get convictions on, and even absent the tape I worry that the details of the case muddy the waters too much for the really clean and clear narrative that a successful DV prosecution requires, and even with that clean narrative a lot of DV cases fail to secure prosecution.

Namely, her story is that he kicked her out of the house, and she broke back into the house through a backdoor, he kicked her out again, and she broke back in again, and it was after these two break ins that the violence occured (violence she's now claiming did not occur).

Let's say that's all true. NONE OF THAT in my opinion justifies the use of violence (call the cops, dummy! Although if you have illegal weapons in the house I understand why you wouldn't) but it just incredibly muddies the waters on a DV conviction.

My guess is he gets off with probably some misdemeanor charges (breaking her phone; the unlicensed gun) and a suspension from the league that the NFLPA might fight in a redux of the will-they-won't-they Zeke Elliott fiasco from last year. Unlike Jerry Jones, I'm hoping the 49ers have the foresight to just keep him away from the team throughout that whole process.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:A couple factors that will come into play in this:

(2) Like it or not and right or wrong or not, DV is just really hard to get convictions on, and even absent the tape I worry that the details of the case muddy the waters too much for the really clean and clear narrative that a successful DV prosecution requires, and even with that clean narrative a lot of DV cases fail to secure prosecution.

Namely, her story is that he kicked her out of the house, and she broke back into the house through a backdoor, he kicked her out again, and she broke back in again, and it was after these two break ins that the violence occured (violence she's now claiming did not occur).

Let's say that's all true. NONE OF THAT in my opinion justifies the use of violence (call the cops, dummy! Although if you have illegal weapons in the house I understand why you wouldn't) but it just incredibly muddies the waters on a DV conviction.

My guess is he gets off with probably some misdemeanor charges (breaking her phone; the unlicensed gun) and a suspension from the league that the NFLPA might fight in a redux of the will-they-won't-they Zeke Elliott fiasco from last year. Unlike Jerry Jones, I'm hoping the 49ers have the foresight to just keep him away from the team throughout that whole process.

The bolded is the point I've been making. There is no ending here where we find out exactly what took place. I think in the end most (or more accurately the most damaging) charges get dropped, but honestly in regards to the phone I'm not sure how you charge a guy for trying to prevent her from calling the police and lying...IE, breaking the law herself. Probably doesn't matter as its destruction of property and the odd thing there is I don't think he's even charged on that count (tho I could be wrong). I think there is a charge for preventing her from reporting a crime...but if its shown that no crime took place and her intent was to commit a crime herself....I dunno.

Also notable is that he admitted to destroying the phone on the spot. Its in his initial Police statement.

Of course, NONE of this is a reason for violence. I think we can all agree on that and the 49ers have made it very clear: If he hit her he is gone.

As for this being a 'Zeke Elliot thing...perhaps not. Tho the charges were dropped against Zeke, there is one BIG difference between the situations: The league had Zekes accuser as a willing participant in the league investigation. Reuben accuser is saying it never happened.

I guess we'll see. Most interesting date now is the 17th. We'll see if the DA will still charge him after reviewing video and medical reports.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• SanDiego49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:

For clarity...

Based on 1 season and 1 off season I don't think he is going to make it. But we will see. He plays well when he is out there. He is looking at a long suspension even if SOME of these items are true. If they all are he is probably kicked off the team. He's undersized and injured a lot anyway. He has trouble staying on the field. There is no disputing he is a real good player when playing.

But he doesn't play for a lot of reasons. Ranging from injuries to crazy off the field decision making and not being to hold his life together. I understand the pick because he was better than where he was picked. But in the end I don't think it will work out. We have to plan on life without him for the long term future. They may have to pick LB again real early.

You could be right. Its an old story...young athlete who can't stay out of trouble. 90% of the time (and that's a number I'm pulling out of thin air) that athlete doesn't figure it out until its far too late or not at all. There are some cases though where they do and can become an example to aspire to. Reality is its far more likely he could be the former, but I haven't given up hope on the latter.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Good thing for him that he's a great player, because that seems to matter sometimes in these things :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Good thing for him that he's a great player, because that seems to matter sometimes in these things :roll:

Yup! Same reason Frank Clark has a job with the Seahawks!
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Good thing for him that he's a great player, because that seems to matter sometimes in these things :roll:

Well..I mean seriously...lets be real for a second...

If Reuben wasn't a good, potentially great player he'd have been released long ago. Franchises weigh risk/reward when this stuff happens. How much is the franchise willing to put up with bad press, etc.

If Reuben was a scrub he'd have been released long ago.

I'm not going to pretend otherwise.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, it sucks that it's that way. But it always has been in sports.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:A couple factors that will come into play in this:

The bolded is the point I've been making. There is no ending here where we find out exactly what took place. I think in the end most (or more accurately the most damaging) charges get dropped, but honestly in regards to the phone I'm not sure how you charge a guy for trying to prevent her from calling the police and lying...IE, breaking the law herself. Probably doesn't matter as its destruction of property and the odd thing there is I don't think he's even charged on that count (tho I could be wrong). I think there is a charge for preventing her from reporting a crime...but if its shown that no crime took place and her intent was to commit a crime herself....I dunno.

Also notable is that he admitted to destroying the phone on the spot. Its in his initial Police statement.

Of course, NONE of this is a reason for violence. I think we can all agree on that and the 49ers have made it very clear: If he hit her he is gone.

As for this being a 'Zeke Elliot thing...perhaps not. Tho the charges were dropped against Zeke, there is one BIG difference between the situations: The league had Zekes accuser as a willing participant in the league investigation. Reuben accuser is saying it never happened.

I guess we'll see. Most interesting date now is the 17th. We'll see if the DA will still charge him after reviewing video and medical reports.

IIRC from the thing between Bruce Miller and his GF destruction of property falls under misdemeanor DV law in CA (although I could be very wrong about that). Agreed in general tho that if she’s yelling about how she’s calling to lie about him hitting her it conceivably complicates things.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• If video comes out, I do believe Marvin will be like "It's only 720P; not clear enough, can't tell what really happened."

;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information