Football Coaches are not Master of the Universe

mrt144

Reaction score
Exhibit A: In the game of football kicking field goals and extra points is an integral part of the game. Care to guess how many NFL teams employ a kicking coach?

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Maulbert":1n8ouo92 said:
You mean this isn't Pete Carroll?

[youtube]-dJolYw8tnk[/youtube]

Unless Battle Cat is kicking coach, no, no he is not.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Also , why is no one talking about BB taking time out with 4 seconds to go before the 2 minute warning in the superb owl ?
I just thought it was odd.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawxfreak":bhvmjgkx said:
Also , why is no one talking about BB taking time out with 4 seconds to go before the 2 minute warning in the superb owl ?

Great point. Sam Gould from Fieldgulls definitely criticized that in his video about how the Eagles offense dismantled the Pats D. He also criticized Pederson for not trying a pass after Belichick took the TO. There would be no risk of wasting the 2 minute warning, I think it might have been 2:03 so Foles could've sat back there a few seconds and taken the clock down to the 2 min anyway and ice the game if they got a first down.

SeahawkPQ

Reaction score
hawxfreak":3oo3g9lb said:

Lets say 5 seconds run off the clock for each play. The defense has 1 TO, 1st down has just finished, the clock is running and there is 2:04 left in the game.

Scenario 1
Defense takes timeout - 2:04 on clock, 2nd down
Offense runs ball, 1:59, 3rd down clock stops for 2 min warning

Scenario 2
Defense lets clock run to 2 min warning, 2nd down
Offense runs ball, at 1:55 defense calls timeout, 3rd down

Better to take timeout immediately

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/964863749055287298[/tweet]

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
https://deadspin.com/mike-zimmer-any-id ... 1824281077

“We come in on Monday morning and start watching the tape,” Zimmer said, “And you say, ‘Oh that’s what they were doing.’ Now, you wouldn’t. So I can do this at six minutes in the first quarter and say, ‘Oh here this is what they’re doing. Here’s how they blocked this.’ And I can coach my guys on what’s happening. Whereas in the past, you have to rely on your skills to figure it out.

“It takes coaching and all of the things out of this when you go and sit there and watch it. Anyone can do that. I can bring [anyone] in there [to watch video] and say, ‘The left guard is pulling, and they’re blocking down in a combination down on the linebacker.’ Anyone can figure that out [with video]. But that’s what we’re supposed to do as coaches.”

What is it about technology that emasculates middle aged coaches?