Jonathan Martin

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Holy crap. Disturbing and I'm sure a total cry for attention with everything that's happened since Parkland last week.

Glad to hear he's been detained and they're investigating.

In case some folks forget who Jonathan Martin is, he's the offensive lineman that accused Incognito, one of the Pouncey brothers and I think one other teammate on the Dolphins of regularly harassing and bullying him; which lead to Incognito being out of the league for a year and serious investigation into the matter.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Pouncey and Incognito must feel better now that this guy has been proven a Loon.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":8tompp3q said:
Well Pouncey and Incognito must feel better now that this guy has been proven a Loon.

Seriously? That's how it works? You basically alienate an already vulnerable and easily picked upon person by bullying them for exactly that and then when they snap you loop back and say "I was right! I was vindicated in making their life hell"

I used to be a bully in my younger days and I was good at it and I had multiple people threaten to kill me as a teenager - some of those folks were like Martin - you could smell the vulnerability from a mile away and pick at it both subtly and overtly while everyone encouraged you to be vicious along with them.

In the intervening time I realized that poking and proding people already struggling to keep their heads above water is not who I wanted to be and what I thought was okay when I was younger was a shitty way to go through life for me.

But seriously, that's some circular bullying logic you got right there and you should dig a little deeper before reaching for it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It could be read a number of ways.

To me, it could be making a point that he understands that bullying could drive someone to snap.

It could be a comment on how kids that are marginalized and angry with access to guns can kill themselves and others. Remember there was another kid in (Ohio?) that killed himself at school in the middle school bathroom. Parkland was not the only gun tragedy in the past few weeks at a school.

And it could be a threat I suppose, but it seems the above reasons are more applicable than the stretch you have to make to come up with that picture/post as being an outright threat.

And to be fair, bullying is dangerous. You have to understand that. To the bully. And because the bullies are not always bad people, just confused or misaligned, it makes sense to be clear that it is in their best interest to stem those tendencies too. Because turning people crazy has some extremely unpleasant & dangerous consequences.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Why was he released? Put him in a cell until he gets the treatment he so obviously needs.

TreeRon

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2d345f0r said:
I believe social media is a cancer.

Agreed
Unfortunately it's been taken over by scoundrels and rascals.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Totally inappropriate to tag a school with this crap
Wow dude needs help
parents must be majorly pissed at him, cuz I know I would be if it was anywhere near my kids eyes
It's just such a STUPID thing to do weather you have probs mentally or not
He needs treatment and shown how effed up that was to post , as a parent that is not cool at all to do

chris98251

Reaction score
chris98251":1vx8wags said:

Both these guys were put thru the professional ringer via the media, when Martin was traded he started it all over again with a new team before they cut him because he couldn't cut it. Peer pressure to push someone in football? Ever hear of it, tough love is another way. If Martin was causing a whole unit to have to do additional work I can see some backlash. Full Metal Jacket is a good example of what a group being penalized feels like and where FMJ dramatized it a lot the idea is the same.

Martin was painted as a victim, but he seems more to be emotionally unstable and insecure about a lot of things blaming others.

This happening shows that Martin has had a history with this back to High School or further, Incognito and Pouncey just are now able to say it wasn't just us, he has had a history of people he has accused of being hard on him and feeling his problems are because of it. The football team can't give one person a pass, it is a sport that's a team game and requires mental toughness and thick skin.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":20orkq6k said:
chris98251":20orkq6k said:

Both these guys were put thru the professional ringer via the media, when Martin was traded he started it all over again with a new team before they cut him because he couldn't cut it. Peer pressure to push someone in football? Ever hear of it, tough love is another way. If Martin was causing a whole unit to have to do additional work I can see some backlash. Full Metal Jacket is a good example of what a group being penalized feels like and where FMJ dramatized it a lot the idea is the same.

Martin was painted as a victim, but he seems more to be emotionally unstable and insecure about a lot of things blaming others.

This happening shows that Martin has had a history with this back to High School or further, Incognito and Pouncey just are now able to say it wasn't just us, he has had a history of people he has accused of being hard on him and feeling his problems are because of it. The football team can't give one person a pass, it is a sport that's a team game and requires mental toughness and thick skin.
If you think about it there are people like this that will provoke someone,get called on it and then
turn around claiming to be the victim.
In most cases it is a mental issue of course and they really believe they are a victim but as above
stated "History" of incidents tells the story.
I don't know what meds fixes this but hope he can get better because something is off.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I absolutely believe that incognito and pouncey are meatheads, and i would also love to have them on my side on sundays. That said, i have a hard time believing that those two are any different than a lot of nfl lineman and that their locker room was no tougher or meaner. The issue is clearly with martin. If he had been a hawk i'm sure we would have heard from him how breno and sweezy were "bullies" and how cable cultivated an unsafe work environment.

mrt144

Reaction score
AKNFidel":4kvuynht said:
Seem he is a professional victim. IMHO that is worse than being a bully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, he is a vulnerable person who is easily identified as weak by people who like picking on the weak. He absolutely has antisocial problems that people like Pouncey and Incognito don't understand and just antagonize him for and make worse. I find it troubling that you seemingly believe in earnest that someone like Martin brings it on themselves when they have a personality defect that is manipulated and abused by people who should know better at some point.

I was 18 when I realized there are some people that just don't integrate well with social groups. Black sheep, loners, whatever, they just don't get along with other people no matter the cause or situation. And the worst thing you can do is point this out to them every single day of their lives. Like I said, multiple people threatened to kill me and it was because I picked at that scab they had. It took the police getting involved before i realized that I could be a real unhelpful asshole towards the health of other people.

People like Martin need to be handled with care and vigilance, not antagonized for being different and unable to cope with it. I mean, that's if you care about non violent outcomes, which I do. You can push fragile people however you see fit but some are gonna snap and have the means to take it out on you. I know people like Incognito, they don't have an off switch. Some admire that, I find not being able to read people to be a limitation.

hawkman

Reaction score
mrt144":36ilnmel said:
AKNFidel":36ilnmel said:

No, he is a vulnerable person who is easily identified as weak by people who like picking on the weak. He absolutely has antisocial problems that people like Pouncey and Incognito don't understand and just antagonize him for and make worse. I find it troubling that you seemingly believe in earnest that someone like Martin brings it on themselves when they have a personality defect that is manipulated and abused by people who should know better at some point.

I was 18 when I realized there are some people that just don't integrate well with social groups. Black sheep, loners, whatever, they just don't get along with other people no matter the cause or situation. And the worst thing you can do is point this out to them every single day of their lives. Like I said, multiple people threatened to kill me and it was because I picked at that scab they had. It took the police getting involved before i realized that I could be a real unhelpful asshole towards the health of other people.

People like Martin need to be handled with care and vigilance, not antagonized for being different and unable to cope with it. I mean, that's if you care about non violent outcomes, which I do. You can push fragile people however you see fit but some are gonna snap and have the means to take it out on you. I know people like Incognito, they don't have an off switch. Some admire that, I find not being able to read people to be a limitation.

Martin absolutely brought the problems on himself. And what Martin and guys him need is for people to stop making excuses for them and allowing them to play the victim card.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawkman":1cw04gw3 said:
mrt144":1cw04gw3 said:
AKNFidel":1cw04gw3 said:

Martin absolutely brought the problems on himself. And what Martin and guys him need is for people to stop making excuses for them and allowing them to play the victim card.

All I'm hearing is you wish Martin had been bullied more to put him in his place because you fundamentally don't understand the stituation.