Jaguars sign Blake Bortles to 3-year, $54M contract

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Jacksonville has signed quarterback Blake Bortles to a three-year contract, the team announced. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the contract is worth $54 million, including $26.5 million in guaranteed money. The new deal replaces Bortles' current contract, which had one year remaining on it via the fifth-year option included in his rookie contract.

:17:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 82962183=1

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Makes sense to me. What else were they going to do, break the bank for Cousins? They get a decent bridge qb at a decent price and i'm sure they'll be drafting a replacement.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2q3a45cz said:
Makes sense to me. What else were they going to do, break the bank for Cousins? They get a decent bridge qb at a decent price and i'm sure they'll be drafting a replacement.

A bridge QB to draft a replacement who probably won't work out.

They don't have great options. Just not being terrible gets you a contract like this.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Great 1 less team for Cousins..Love it

adeltaY

Reaction score
With incentives, the deal goes up to $66.5M over three years. $18M APY is a bargain for a starting QB, but $22M+ APY is pretty good QB money for the current market. I went through the Jags subreddit and had a tough time finding comments expressing negativity about this deal. I swear a taste of being good and some fans think their team is set.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Saves the Jags $9 million in cap space this year....

Trrrroy

Reaction score
sdog1981":3phrqmvm said:
IndyHawk":3phrqmvm said:
Great 1 less team for Cousins..Love it

Not good he could end up with the Cards.

Good. Let them make a thouroughly mediocre qb the highest paid in the league.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes zero sense. They are clearly a contender, but with Bortles, I seriously doubt the ever make it to the SuperbOwl

original poster

Reaction score
They can get out of it a year early if it doesn't work out.

My bet is they run with him this year, draft his replacement in 2019 and potentially cut him in either 2019 or ride with him for one more year before moving on.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I don't think that's a smart move. By the time their next qb is ready the defense will be old. They are about to waste this defense with Mediocre qb play. Terrible move to sign him long term.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Way to turn this thread about Darrel Bevel.. get over it, he's gone.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is probably good for the league.

The more it costs to keep even average QBs, the closer we will get to having more parity in the league.

For a while, without an ELITE QB, a team had almost no shot. But now, the more QB salaries increase - the better the chances of teams that don't have the elite QB that just a few years ago would have no prayer.

Interesting that the NFL's focus on changing the rules to favor the QB is going to make them less valuable over time and might even shorten the average QB careers as they get replaced faster with rookies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Bortles essentially got a one year deal with two years of team options, that at the same time gives them more cap room in that first year.

Beyond thinking they should break the bank for Cousins and cross their fingers that they don't lose that fight, I'm not really sure how someone could criticize this.

The worst case scenario is they have 9 million more in cap room to try to land a QB and cut Bortles at the end of the year.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
This is pretty cheap for a starting QB, sad as that is to say.

I think he played well enough to get the team to the super bowl last year, so makes sense.