Cousins to Vikings

Uncle Si

Reaction score
and Case to Broncos

Called the Cousins deal a month ago

(I never get anything right so I'm going to make a big deal of this)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
You were right.
Kirk Cousins is a playmaker but I didn't think Vikings would pay that much for slightly better QB play. I guess that's why the deal is for 3 years with so many good talents on the cheap now.
So glad Russell took a decent deal following his rookie deal rather then playing out his final year and doing what Cousins just did. Cousins easily made more than Russell's contract.

original poster

Reaction score
adeltaY":1nhtavo8 said:
Apparently it's fully guaranteed as well. Wow.

In honesty I don’t really get the hype surrounding it being fully guaranteed.

Just about every QB deal is guaranteed for the first 3 years. When I see supposed analysts that do this stuff for a living say how much of a ‘game changer’ it is they really go down in my estimation.

If it prompts teams to start going 100% GTD over 4/5/6 years I’d agree it’s game changing, but at 3 years? No.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with QB contracts. If 3 years fully guaranteed becomes the norm does it slow down the increases or speed them up? Hitting the market more often could either slow down or speed up the salary rises, be interesting to see how it pans out and if the new CBA does anything about it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson should be able to buy his NFL team he was talking about come his next contract at this rate.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
adeltaY":1zjpwyya said:

Thats not really that big a deal for a QB contract IMO..especially only 3 years for a QB with no injury history really.

How it will effect the rest of the league IDK but for the Vikings its fine. Cousins is only 3 months older than Wilson so its not like they are gettting an old guy

Kirks stats last 3 years

13,176 yards, 81TD, 36INT

Wilson last 3 years.
12,226 yards, 89TD, 30INT

And instead of playing outside for 8 home games on Redskins crappy field he gets to play in a dome in a new stadium with a way better supporting offense.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":swek3tcj said:
You were right.
Kirk Cousins is a playmaker but I didn't think Vikings would pay that much for slightly better QB play. I guess that's why the deal is for 3 years with so many good talents on the cheap now.
So glad Russell took a decent deal following his rookie deal rather then playing out his final year and doing what Cousins just did. Cousins easily made more than Russell's contract.

They paid 23 mil last year for the QB position. They are only paying, what? 5 Mil more for cousins per year?

adeltaY

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":14k2fpz6 said:
adeltaY":14k2fpz6 said:

Thats not really that big a deal for a QB contract IMO..especially only 3 years for a QB with no injury history really.

How it will effect the rest of the league IDK but for the Vikings its fine. Cousins is only 3 months older than Wilson so its not like they are gettting an old guy

Kirks stats last 3 years

13,176 yards, 81TD, 36INT

Wilson last 3 years.
12,226 yards, 89TD, 30INT

And instead of playing outside for 8 home games on Redskins crappy field he gets to play in a dome in a new stadium with a way better supporting offense.

Good point from you and OP on the guaranteed aspect. I hadn't thought of that, thanks for explaining.

With regards to the stats, the big difference is McVay/Gruden >>> Bevell and my days the Redskins OL puts ours to shame. It's like they don't play the same sport. It was worse this year due to injuries, but we don't have a lineman who's half as good as Trent Williams.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":115d8auw said:
Wilson should be able to buy his NFL team he was talking about come his next contract at this rate.
The team will be the Seattle Wilsons ..Featuring only him cause he can do it all.